View Poll Results: Should my 6 month old daughter get earrings?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 9.09%
  • No

    30 90.91%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50

Thread: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

  1. #11
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,298
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    The Internet: Giving people the ability to ask complete strangers what to do with their children since the 1990's.

  2. #12
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    The Internet: Giving people the ability to ask complete strangers what to do with their children since the 1990's.
    Well I did it for a few reasons. One if anyone could say anything I haven't already thought of, and two, I wanted to see how many post used the words "mutilated" "life destroying" and "injure" cuz I knew it would give me a good chuckle.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  3. #13
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    I see no reason why this is necessary. The infant obviously can't appreciate it. This is merely for the mothers' satisfaction. Perhaps she should examine why this is so important to her. I see no reason why this should have emotional significance.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  4. #14
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by NGNM85 View Post
    I see no reason why this is necessary. The infant obviously can't appreciate it. This is merely for the mothers' satisfaction. Perhaps she should examine why this is so important to her. I see no reason why this should have emotional significance.
    Thank you NGNM spoken like a true HNIC. I seriously have a notepad filled with notes and am writing that one down hopefully I win this battle.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  5. #15
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    I am against it. I do not like the idea. However, I want to hear from anyone with experience with baby girls and I have found plenty of anecdotal and scientific reasons but her mother is incredibly persistent and I really have no say in it in the end she will eventually do it. I would like thoughts however on any negatives and or positives.
    I think they're dangerous - baby can cut theirself on the studs while laying down, pull them out and eat them.

    I think it shows a rather self-absorbed side of people - treating children more as objects of decoration rather than children. But I don't think it's horribly wrong or unethical. Just strange that people do it.

    I find it odd, though -somewhat ironic and humerous actually - that some people (over the years that this subject has come up - not necessarily individuals in this thread) that some people are pro male circumcision but anti ear piercing on the grounds that it's 'mutilation' . . it's actually a very common conflict of views - as if the famale earlobe is more precious than a male's penis.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 07-06-11 at 03:18 AM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #16
    OWL Forever
    katiegrrl0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    at the computer
    Last Seen
    07-07-17 @ 07:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    4,121

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    This is the thing. In order to do this, it becomes a big production for either one of us. Then after I spend $500 to get the ball rolling just over a pair of earrings she could just take them out and go "Oh look you just wasted $500 you're an idiot." That is my hell.

    Also CarlF here is the thing about the whole decision thing, that is fine and I would rather it be her decision. But my 6 month old daughter isn't deciding anything for herself for quite sometime so this is very small in comparison. I just do not like what will be the inevitable inconvenience of it happening.

    Also Mistress "physically injuring" is even funnier than the "mutilation". In reality it will hurt her for a small amount of time, less than a shot would. She needs no nothing to show she is a girl. At 6 months, she is the prettiest baby you have and ever will see in your life:

    It seems to me that by your inaction you are allowing this to happen. A registered letter telling the mother no with the threat of a court custody fight should be enough to stop her from doing anything. $300 would be a very expensive letter.
    The flame that is between us could set every soul on fire. I would love to take that heat and let's fill the whole world with desire.
    Sophie B. Hawkins

  7. #17
    Educator DemonMyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Last Seen
    02-11-13 @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    727

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    Please offer my thanks to a mother that is such a failure when come to something as simple as allowing her own child the right to choose..

    The choice to get ear rings belongs completely to your daughter and nobody else.. My daughter was 9 when she got hers.. She made the call..

    Tell your wife to stop attempting to sexualize an infant.. There is no reason to get them at that age except to make them look older.. Next thing you know she is going to buy her a bikini at age 3 with pads in the top to make it look she has breast buds.. Don't think you can't buy those.. It is sick..

    For god sakes, let your daughter be a little girl and not some doll that mom likes to play dress up..

    No on the ear rings.. Get your wife a cabbage patch kid and tell her to leave your daughter alone..

    Please undestand.. I am sickened by what some parents do.. 6 year olds walking throught the mall with hot pants and high heels.. Let kids be kids.. Ever watch that show toddlers and tiaras?? It is sick.. 4 year olds done up to look like hookers.. Some even getting nose jobs and bikini waxes.. I hope you wife isn't heading that way..

    Kids are kids.. They are not little adults.. They should look and be dressed like kids.. If she wants to get ear rings at 6 mos.. What is she going to do when your daughter is 9-12 and is actually maturing into a woman like figure??

    Let her be a child..

  8. #18
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    Please offer my thanks to a mother that is such a failure when come to something as simple as allowing her own child the right to choose..

    The choice to get ear rings belongs completely to your daughter and nobody else.. My daughter was 9 when she got hers.. She made the call..

    Tell your wife to stop attempting to sexualize an infant.. There is no reason to get them at that age except to make them look older.. Next thing you know she is going to buy her a bikini at age 3 with pads in the top to make it look she has breast buds.. Don't think you can't buy those.. It is sick..

    For god sakes, let your daughter be a little girl and not some doll that mom likes to play dress up..

    No on the ear rings.. Get your wife a cabbage patch kid and tell her to leave your daughter alone..

    Please undestand.. I am sickened by what some parents do.. 6 year olds walking throught the mall with hot pants and high heels.. Let kids be kids.. Ever watch that show toddlers and tiaras?? It is sick.. 4 year olds done up to look like hookers.. Some even getting nose jobs and bikini waxes.. I hope you wife isn't heading that way..

    Kids are kids.. They are not little adults.. They should look and be dressed like kids.. If she wants to get ear rings at 6 mos.. What is she going to do when your daughter is 9-12 and is actually maturing into a woman like figure??

    Let her be a child..
    While I don't find the appeal in babies wearing earrings - I don't see the horrid wrong in it, either. It's just not my interest seeing as how even I don't have pierced ears.

    But when I did have pierced ears 'sexy' was not the thought process.

    So the real questoin is: why do you assume that someone wearing earrings is trying to be 'sexy' or 'sexualize' theirselves?

    Nor do I see little girls who do have pierced ears being more sexually active or maturing earlier than their non-pierced counterparts.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #19
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I think they're dangerous - baby can cut theirself on the studs while laying down, pull them out and eat them.

    I think it shows a rather self-absorbed side of people - treating children more as objects of decoration rather than children. But I don't think it's horribly wrong or unethical. Just strange that people do it.

    I find it odd, though -somewhat ironic and humerous actually - that some people (over the years that this subject has come up - not necessarily individuals in this thread) that some people are pro male circumcision but anti ear piercing on the grounds that it's 'mutilation' . . it's actually a very common conflict of views - as if the famale earlobe is more precious than a male's penis.
    Well I am don't care about circumcision. I am circumcised and unlike an earing in a ear I can't cut myself on my dick or yank something out. It is a one time pain for most kids, not saying bad things don't happen but I had no problems. I don't feel it is mutilation as much as I feel my daughter is more beautiful than any baby I have ever seen and I've seen baby pics of me and I was a darn pretty baby and she is even prettier than that. I just do not like the idea at all it makes me nervous. The smartass in me wants to tell the mother, hey next you'll be getting her diaper thongs or something, but I try to be civil. If this were to happen this would actually happen while my daughter was visiting me and we went out into town, my daughter, her mother and I.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  10. #20
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: Should my six-month old daughter get earrings--why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    Please offer my thanks to a mother that is such a failure when come to something as simple as allowing her own child the right to choose..

    The choice to get ear rings belongs completely to your daughter and nobody else.. My daughter was 9 when she got hers.. She made the call..

    Tell your wife to stop attempting to sexualize an infant.. There is no reason to get them at that age except to make them look older.. Next thing you know she is going to buy her a bikini at age 3 with pads in the top to make it look she has breast buds.. Don't think you can't buy those.. It is sick..

    For god sakes, let your daughter be a little girl and not some doll that mom likes to play dress up..

    No on the ear rings.. Get your wife a cabbage patch kid and tell her to leave your daughter alone..

    Please undestand.. I am sickened by what some parents do.. 6 year olds walking throught the mall with hot pants and high heels.. Let kids be kids.. Ever watch that show toddlers and tiaras?? It is sick.. 4 year olds done up to look like hookers.. Some even getting nose jobs and bikini waxes.. I hope you wife isn't heading that way..

    Kids are kids.. They are not little adults.. They should look and be dressed like kids.. If she wants to get ear rings at 6 mos.. What is she going to do when your daughter is 9-12 and is actually maturing into a woman like figure??

    Let her be a child..
    Read my posts before you respond. As for the mother, she is an incredibly good mother usually just has her values mixed up in some cases.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •