View Poll Results: I am between

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10-19

    13 11.93%
  • 20-29

    40 36.70%
  • 30-39

    16 14.68%
  • 40-49

    20 18.35%
  • 50-59

    10 9.17%
  • 60-69

    7 6.42%
  • 70-79

    0 0%
  • 80-89

    0 0%
  • None of Your Business

    2 1.83%
  • HOT POCKETS!

    1 0.92%
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 295

Thread: My age is

  1. #271
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The Republican name may have a better record on race, sure (although I would dispute this as well). However, the ideology and base behind that name has changed considerably over time. During Lincoln's era, blacks supported the Republican Party overwhelmingly, now blacks support the Democratic Party overwhelmingly. That should tell you something right there.

    (That party shift began during the New Deal and was cemented during the Civil Rights movement when most anti-integration Democrats went to the Republican Party).
    Years ago, in my poli sci studies, I noticed the same. I now think dems gained the upper hand only in terms of selling their brand to minorities, who (forgive me) may not bother into checking the actual track record.

  2. #272
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Yet the likes of Lyndon "“Be ready to take up the goddamned nigra bill again” Johnson, and Sam "I’m on your side, not theirs” Ervin, are dem heroes of the civil rights movement.
    Those quotes don't negate the historical facts that I just pointed out - just go read the history of the Republican Party. Here's a link to the wiki page for a start.

    History of the United States Republican Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The Republican name was attached to Lincoln's party but its base and ideology had moved to the Democratic Party by the 60s although the transition started during the New Deal. There's not much more to say about it really.

  3. #273
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Years ago, in my poli sci studies, I noticed the same. I now think dems gained the upper hand only in terms of selling their brand to minorities, who (forgive me) may not bother into checking the actual track record.
    Like I said Dan, comparing the Dems of today to even the Dems of the sixties is fallacious. Same for Repubs. Again, using a sports analogy, I could say that [fill in sports team here] has never had a track record of winning...until now. Well, the team today consists of different players, different management, different coaching staff than it might have had 20 yrs ago. Saying "well, this team has never won in its entire history, why would it win now?" would be stupid.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #274
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Like I said Dan, comparing the Dems of today to even the Dems of the sixties is fallacious. Same for Repubs. Again, using a sports analogy, I could say that [fill in sports team here] has never had a track record of winning...until now. Well, the team today consists of different players, different management, different coaching staff than it might have had 20 yrs ago. Saying "well, this team has never won in its entire history, why would it win now?" would be stupid.
    Alright, where is the GOP wrong on race? What is their racist history?

    PS - Can we agree dems actually do have a racist history?
    Last edited by LuckyDan; 07-09-11 at 11:02 PM.

  5. #275
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Years ago, in my poli sci studies, I noticed the same. I now think dems gained the upper hand only in terms of selling their brand to minorities, who (forgive me) may not bother into checking the actual track record.
    Right, but history doesn't support the idea that the Republican Party is better for minorities than the Democratic Party - like I said, MANY racist Democrats left the party and went to the Republican Party during the civil rights movement - that's not an accident. Furthermore, the current Republican Party has a penchant for pulling the "race card card" which systematically ignores the experiences many blacks have with racism in this country by reducing them to mere attempts at "pulling the race card".

  6. #276
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Right, but history doesn't support the idea that the Republican Party is better for minorities than the Democratic Party - like I said, MANY racist Democrats left the party and went to the Republican Party during the civil rights movement - that's not an accident. Furthermore, the current Republican Party has a penchant for pulling the "race card card" which systematically ignores the experiences many blacks have with racism in this country by reducing them to mere attempts at "pulling the race card".
    Strom Thurmond and . . . who?

    He was the only segregationist Dem who switched parties.

  7. #277
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Alright, where is the GOP wrong on race? What is their racist history?

    PS - Can we agree dems actually do have a racist history?
    Why do we keep talking about parties, Dan? I don't know why you keep on focusing the discussion on political parties when I've already told you I don't care about the parties. I frankly don't give a flying frack about the two parties' history, as long as the Dems generally support the things I do TODAY, and the GOP doesn't.

    But, just to humor you, yes, I acknowledge Dems have a racist history(Woodrow Wilson, Gov. George Wallace, Robert Byrd, host of other examples) but historically there was a long period where Dems weren't even united.

    As for the GOP? They're hardly any less guilty. A simple google search reveals dozens of hits on the subject.

    Let me google that for you
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 07-09-11 at 11:11 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #278
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Why do we keep talking about parties, Dan? I don't know why you keep on focusing the discussion on political parties when I've already told you I don't care about the parties. I frankly don't give a flying frack about the two parties' history, as long as the Dems generally support the things I do TODAY, and the GOP doesn't.

    But, just to humor you, yes, I acknowledge Dems have a racist history(Woodrow Wilson, Gov. George Wallace, Robert Byrd, host of other examples) but historically there was a long period where Dems weren't even united.

    As for the GOP? They're hardly any less guilty. A simple google search reveals dozens of hits on the subject.

    Let me google that for you
    Cute trick. (You young people with your hot links and hippity hop songs)

    But what do you have to say about it?

  9. #279
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: My age is

    When I am in doubt I like to read this from George Washington's farewell address;
    George Washington:
    Warns against the party system. "It serves to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration....agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one....against another....it opens the door to foreign influence and corruption...thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another."

    George Washington's Farewell Address

  10. #280
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Alright, where is the GOP wrong on race? What is their racist history?

    PS - Can we agree dems actually do have a racist history?
    Various Republicans and Liberia colonization?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •