View Poll Results: I am between

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10-19

    13 11.93%
  • 20-29

    40 36.70%
  • 30-39

    16 14.68%
  • 40-49

    20 18.35%
  • 50-59

    10 9.17%
  • 60-69

    7 6.42%
  • 70-79

    0 0%
  • 80-89

    0 0%
  • None of Your Business

    2 1.83%
  • HOT POCKETS!

    1 0.92%
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 295

Thread: My age is

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: My age is

    On the age thing, I am glad to see so many young people here, the sooner you really start paying attention to politics the sooner you turn conserative.

  2. #162
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Sorry for being blunt, but it's THIS belief that flies in the face of reality. Liberalism and conservatism are different perspectives, and neither has a monopoly on reality or the truth. I've seen plenty of posters of all stripes on this forum who say absolutely moronic things.

    It's the belief that "my side is right, your side is wrong" that is total bull****.
    My side is right, your side is left. That is a total fact. Do you believe your liberal political views are correct as compared to conservative political views? Do you stand by your convictions? As a conservative I do. I believe my side the conservative side is right. If I didn't I wouldn't be a conservative.
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

  3. #163
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by SgtRock View Post
    My side is right, your side is left. That is a total fact. Do you believe your liberal political views are correct as compared to conservative political views? Do you stand by your convictions? As a conservative I do. I believe my side the conservative side is right. If I didn't I wouldn't be a conservative.
    I don't deal in absolutes. I don't view most political opinions as right vs. wrong, as much as view them as positions with different perspectives.

    conservatives and liberals value different things, different ideas. Liberals have liberal beliefs because those beliefs align with liberal values. Conservatives do the same. I don't view things in a right-vs-wrong, black vs. white context.

    When I disagree with a conservative, usually it's not because I think he is ABSOLUTELY wrong, but because the ideas, the concepts, the things that I value are simply different from his or hers.

    Of course, there are also some cases where I DO think the person I'm debating is wrong simply because he or she isn't getting their facts straight. But intelligent people can agree on facts and come to different opinions on the same issue.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 07-06-11 at 10:05 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #164
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I took serious time and pondered my liberal sentiments in my own personal and immediate life. I became dissatisfied with them.
    mugged by reality eh?

  5. #165
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    mugged by reality eh?
    Quite literally. Not necessarily for the same reasons as the others.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  6. #166
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-01-17 @ 11:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Quite literally. Not necessarily for the same reasons as the others.
    You mean you were actually mugged and it destroyed you're faith in human nature?

  7. #167
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,635

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    You mean you were actually mugged and it destroyed you're faith in human nature?
    No, not like that. I meant in the fact that the old motto of what the grouping was fit me well.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  8. #168
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    On the age thing, I am glad to see so many young people here, the sooner you really start paying attention to politics the sooner you turn conserative.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  9. #169
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I don't deal in absolutes. I don't view most political opinions as right vs. wrong, as much as view them as positions with different perspectives.

    conservatives and liberals value different things, different ideas. Liberals have liberal beliefs because those beliefs align with liberal values. Conservatives do the same. I don't view things in a right-vs-wrong, black vs. white context.

    When I disagree with a conservative, usually it's not because I think he is ABSOLUTELY wrong, but because the ideas, the concepts, the things that I value are simply different from his or hers.

    Of course, there are also some cases where I DO think the person I'm debating is wrong simply because he or she isn't getting their facts straight. But intelligent people can agree on facts and come to different opinions on the same issue.
    That's true to an extent, but you also have to look at goals. For example, I think it's fair to say that most conservatives and liberals want to minimize poverty. We have completely different approaches to doing that, and you can compare those approaches and see which is more effective.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  10. #170
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: My age is

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    That's true to an extent, but you also have to look at goals. For example, I think it's fair to say that most conservatives and liberals want to minimize poverty. We have completely different approaches to doing that, and you can compare those approaches and see which is more effective.
    I agree to some extent, but a lot of this stuff is really theoretical. Same deal when it comes to macroeconomic policies.

    There's simply too many factors to take into account most of the time to say whether "this method definitely works better all the time," or "the liberal method is definitely better than the conservative method"

    But you're right, a lot of my "liberal" political opinions are simply derived from what I believe to be pragmatism.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 07-06-11 at 10:56 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •