View Poll Results: New states?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Welcome!

    23 74.19%
  • No. GET OFF MY LAWN.

    0 0%
  • Keep them as they are now.

    3 9.68%
  • Other (explain)

    5 16.13%
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 156

Thread: New states?

  1. #71
    User Nanten Janubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    20 miles, straight up
    Last Seen
    07-12-11 @ 06:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    120

    Re: New states?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Them moving to DC was an action. Them not moving from DC is also an act.
    That's awesome.
    A history of knowledge will not make us clever for the next time, but wise forever.
    -Jacob Burckhardt.

  2. #72
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New states?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    So what? You still haven't explained why DC residents should be denied democracy just by nature of the fact that there are some federal buildings downtown on the Mall.
    The answer has already been given in this thread multiple times. No need to rehash it when it will just get ignored again.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #73
    User Nanten Janubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    20 miles, straight up
    Last Seen
    07-12-11 @ 06:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    120

    Re: New states?

    Well, I think he means a rational answer, not just "any answer". Not letting American citizens vote because of where they live is, ya know, kinda retarded.
    A history of knowledge will not make us clever for the next time, but wise forever.
    -Jacob Burckhardt.

  4. #74
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New states?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nanten Janubi View Post
    Well, I think he means a rational answer, not just "any answer". Not letting American citizens vote because of where they live is, ya know, kinda retarded.
    And imo its retarded to move to an area where you know that you don't have representation. They have no one to blame but themselves.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #75
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: New states?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    The answer has already been given in this thread multiple times. No need to rehash it when it will just get ignored again.
    No answer has been given. Virtually every argument against DC statehood in this thread has boiled down to one of three things, all of which are retarded:

    1. "DC shouldn't be a state because the Founding Fathers, in their infinite wisdom and hive mind which can never be questioned, thought we needed a separate federal district because of some archaic concerns that have utterly failed to materialize in 200 years."
    2. "DC shouldn't be a state because you can always move to a part of the country where democracy is actually in effect."
    3. "DC shouldn't be a state because the federal government needs to retain control over the National Mall where no one except the Obamas actually lives...and for some mysterious reason, also the rest of the city of Washington, where people actually DO live."

    #1 is ****ing stupid on its surface because it's nothing more than a refusal to think for one's self; the Founding Fathers' concerns are so ancient that they wouldn't even OCCUR to us today if some dude with a wig hadn't talked about them 200 years ago. #2 is not actually a rationale against democracy in DC, it's just an excuse to prohibit it. And #3 fails to explain why the federal district needs to be anywhere near as large as it actually is. The feds can keep the National Mall, White House, Capitol, and Supreme Court...those of us who live here don't give a damn.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 07-05-11 at 04:51 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New states?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No answer has been given. Virtually every argument against DC statehood in this thread has boiled down to one of three things, all of which are retarded:

    1. "DC shouldn't be a state because the Founding Fathers, in their infinite wisdom and hive mind which can never be questioned, thought we needed a separate federal district because of some archaic concerns that have utterly failed to materialize in 200 years."
    2. "DC shouldn't be a state because you can always move to a part of the country where democracy is actually in effect."
    3. "DC shouldn't be a state because the federal government needs to retain control over the National Mall where no one except the Obamas actually lives...and for some mysterious reason, also the rest of the city of Washington, where people actually DO live."
    Read the thread again. There is another answer.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #77
    User Nanten Janubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    20 miles, straight up
    Last Seen
    07-12-11 @ 06:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    120

    Re: New states?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And imo its retarded to move to an area where you know that you don't have representation. They have no one to blame but themselves.
    Another classic. I wonder how far removed that is from the "He/she was asking for it!" defense?
    A history of knowledge will not make us clever for the next time, but wise forever.
    -Jacob Burckhardt.

  8. #78
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: New states?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Read the thread again. There is another answer.
    You know, you could have just spelled it out instead of being coy, and it would have saved us both time. Forget it, I'm not going to play games. If you have some amazingly good reason for imposing a dictatorship on American citizens (note: some variant on one of the three retarded arguments I listed above is NOT an amazingly good reason), then just say it. I'm not going to attempt to read your mind.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 07-05-11 at 04:57 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #79
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,866
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New states?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    You know, you could have just spelled it out instead of being coy, and it would have saved us both time. Forget it, I'm not going to play games. If you have some amazingly good reason for imposing a dictatorship on American citizens (note: some variant on one of the three retarded arguments I gave above is NOT an amazingly good reason), then just say it. I'm not going to attempt to read your mind.
    How in the world am I being coy? I told you that the answer was already given in this thread and there is no reason to rehash it. It is not my fault that you refuse to read. There is no need to attempt to read my mind. Take off your blinders.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #80
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: New states?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    How in the world am I being coy? I told you that the answer was already given in this thread and there is no reason to rehash it. It is not my fault that you refuse to read. There is no need to attempt to read my mind. Take off your blinders.
    **** this, I'm not going to play games. I've wasted enough of my time responding to this garbage. If you have some legitimate point to make, you can make it. Otherwise I'm done responding to you. I'll only be responding to actual concerns about DC democracy, not "zomg I made a awesum argument, see if u can find it lol."
    Last edited by Kandahar; 07-05-11 at 05:03 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •