View Poll Results: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 39.13%
  • No

    11 47.83%
  • Not Sure

    1 4.35%
  • Other

    2 8.70%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 93

Thread: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    The Minnesota shutdown, the NBA and the death of compromise - The Fix - The Washington Post

    Given those results, it’s perhaps not surprising that the first big post-election legislative showdown — over whether or not to extend the tax cuts put in place by President George W. Bush — devolved into an extended staring match between the White House and the newly ascendant Republican party in Washington.

    In a Gallup poll conducted during that tax fight, a majority (51 percent) of Republicans said they preferred that their Members of Congress “hold out for the basic budget plan they want, even if that means the government shuts down”. Just 27 percent of Democrats and 29 percent of independents held that same view in the survey.

  2. #2
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    It ain't doin too good right now, but people are beginning to get sick of the way things are going right now and the simple fact that we're about a 50/50 country means we won't put up with it indefinitely.

    The upcoming elections are going to redefine stupid.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    It ain't doin too good right now, but people are beginning to get sick of the way things are going right now and the simple fact that we're about a 50/50 country means we won't put up with it indefinitely.

    The upcoming elections are going to redefine stupid.
    How so, "redefine stupid?"

  4. #4
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,911

    Re: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    There are some things you just can't afford to compromise.

    ... No pun intended
    Last edited by celticwar17; 07-02-11 at 03:03 AM.

  5. #5
    Educator lewstherin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    719

    Re: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post

    The upcoming elections are going to redefine stupid.
    lol. great line. you can bet on that. people thought the last election was a farce...wait till they get a load of this one.
    i truly expect violence in 2012 during election time.
    “The ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination.”
    http://www.indylevee.com/

  6. #6
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    Can we start partitioning the country now?

    There are some things you just can't afford to compromise.

    ... No pun intended
    They aren't preserving anything that can last or keep the country strong.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 07-02-11 at 03:10 AM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    How so, "redefine stupid?"
    Well ya see, the way most "messaging" works is through uniformity and repetition. So all the talking point nonsense we see here every day is going to be EVERYWHERE, turned up to ELEVEN.

    The demand on the part of the people for a return to compromise may not occur until after the elections for this reason.

    But the Republican candidates are lightening their tone, and Becks off Fox, so there is hope they'll back off to avoid alienating independents.

    Time will tell.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Well ya see, the way most "messaging" works is through uniformity and repetition. So all the talking point nonsense we see here every day is going to be EVERYWHERE, turned up to ELEVEN.

    The demand on the part of the people for a return to compromise may not occur until after the elections for this reason.

    But the Republican candidates are lightening their tone, and Becks off Fox, so there is hope they'll back off to avoid alienating independents.

    Time will tell.
    Thanks. I'll probably have to take another DP break, since I'm already up to here with the **** and it's still well over a year away.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    Quote Originally Posted by lewstherin View Post
    lol. great line. you can bet on that. people thought the last election was a farce...wait till they get a load of this one.
    i truly expect violence in 2012 during election time.
    Have you really ever seen someone at any of these political rallies that you believe could be a physical threat?


  10. #10
    Educator lewstherin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 02:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    719

    Re: Is Compromise a Thing of the Past

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Have you really ever seen someone at any of these political rallies that you believe could be a physical threat?

    [IMG]http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_politics/files/2010/10/palin_florida_260]
    i'm not referring to the staged "rallies", although it's a possibility that certain groups may incite certain outbursts at these as well.
    “The ideal form of government is democracy tempered with assassination.”
    http://www.indylevee.com/

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •