View Poll Results: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you tell the truth and he goes free.

    20 62.50%
  • No, you let him be wrongfully convicted because he should have been convicted of the other crime.

    12 37.50%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83

Thread: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

  1. #1
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Here's a moral dilemma. The unthinkable happens -- some awful person rapes your 13 year-old daughter. Unfortunately, it's not possible to convict him, so you move away and try to put your life back together. A couple years later, you're at a restaurant when your favorite show comes on TV. At the same time, you notice the rapist sitting at another table looking not very happy. You choose not to confront him and try to just watch your show instead.

    A few days later, you learn that the rapist has been arrested for murder and that there's a good case against him. You are delighted at the thought that he'll likely go to prison. However, you learn that the time of the murders coincide with the time you saw the rapist in the restaurant. You're sure of the time because of the favorite TV show that was on. There's no way he could be the murderer. Perhaps he hired someone to do it, but you don't know that for a fact.

    If you come forward and tell the truth, the rapist won't be wrongfully convicted of murder. If you keep your mouth shut, he'll likely go to prison. What do you do?

  2. #2
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Keep it shut. The law is blind, and sometimes in that blindness, wrongs do not get righted. This case is one such case.

    Rapists are impossible to rehabilitate, and they are usually sociopathic. Which means they are likely to commit a crime along those lines again. Psychologically normal people don't rape.

    I'll admit I'm not totally comfortable with that decision. But nor am I comfortable with a rapist going free. I am less so with the latter.

  3. #3
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    That depends. What evidence do I have that this man is, in fact, a rapist? And why don't the authorities and courts also have this evidence?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #4
    Distributist
    Jeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    If the rapist is innocent of the murder, he may well have been innocent of the rape. Maybe THAT'S why you couldn't convict him?
    SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie
    Thanks for your awesomeness, Jeezy.

  5. #5
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    I am assuming simply for the purpose of the hypothetical that all situations presented are known to be true (i.e. that he is the rapist, that he was wrongly either never tried or dismissed, etc).

    Of course, if these aren't known truths, that changes everything. But I'm allowing it to be true simply in the spirit of the hypothetical, which I'm assuming it only meant to deal with the end scenario: you know he wasn't at the murder scene.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    426

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Keep it shut. The law is blind, and sometimes in that blindness, wrongs do not get righted. This case is one such case.

    Rapists are impossible to rehabilitate, and they are usually sociopathic. Which means they are likely to commit a crime along those lines again. Psychologically normal people don't rape.

    I'll admit I'm not totally comfortable with that decision. But nor am I comfortable with a rapist going free. I am less so with the latter.
    More precisely, the law is bulls**t. You're as likely to get justice from a court as you would getting heads from a coin toss. If the person knew for a FACT that this person raped their child, I'd let him burn.

  7. #7
    Distributist
    Jeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Keep it shut. The law is blind, and sometimes in that blindness, wrongs do not get righted. This case is one such case.

    Rapists are impossible to rehabilitate, and they are usually sociopathic. Which means they are likely to commit a crime along those lines again. Psychologically normal people don't rape.

    I'll admit I'm not totally comfortable with that decision. But nor am I comfortable with a rapist going free. I am less so with the latter.
    Not sure about the rehabilitation thing.

    A significant proportion of rapists commit their crimes while under the influence. I'd say there's a good shot at rehabilitating those.
    SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie
    Thanks for your awesomeness, Jeezy.

  8. #8
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy View Post
    Not sure about the rehabilitation thing.

    A significant proportion of rapists commit their crimes while under the influence. I'd say there's a good shot at rehabilitating those.
    This may depend on what sort of rape you're talking about. Rape laws carry well into the gray area. For some kinds of date rape, that may be true. But even so, there is pretty much always something psychologically abnormal about a rapist. The same could be true of someone who gets violent under the influence. It is not a normal reaction, and alcohol/drugs are not an excuse. The exception may be extreme amphetamine abuse, which can cause psychosis.

    But the profile for someone who rapes a pubescent girl is that they are typically very well-planned, manipulative, and sociopathic. That is similar to the profile for the majority of rapists, but finding access to a girl that young as an adult almost requires it.

  9. #9
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    As long as all I have to do is keep silent, I would absolutely let him hang. Next best thing to killing him with my own hands, and your hypothetical already assumes I haven't done that.

  10. #10
    Distributist
    Jeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    This may depend on what sort of rape you're talking about. Rape laws carry well into the gray area. For some kinds of date rape, that may be true. But even so, there is pretty much always something psychologically abnormal about a rapist. The same could be true of someone who gets violent under the influence. It is not a normal reaction, and alcohol/drugs are not an excuse. The exception may be extreme amphetamine abuse, which can cause psychosis.

    But the profile for someone who rapes a pubescent girl is that they are typically very well-planned, manipulative, and sociopathic. That is similar to the profile for the majority of rapists, but finding access to a girl that young as an adult almost requires it.
    Well yeah, the pubescent girl thing is different because that sort of thing implies calculation. All I'm saying is, I wouldn't just say "you cannot rehabilitate a rapist." The alcohol thing is a different story. A person who only gets violent under the influence is not necessarily an incurable rage machine. Some are really just affected that way. I know people who don't smoke weed because it always makes them paranoid and therefore unhappy. I'd tag that as pretty abnormal.
    SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie
    Thanks for your awesomeness, Jeezy.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •