View Poll Results: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you tell the truth and he goes free.

    20 62.50%
  • No, you let him be wrongfully convicted because he should have been convicted of the other crime.

    12 37.50%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 83

Thread: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

  1. #71
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    First things first: Folks, please let's get along. This is just a hypothetical that I read some years back. It's not a real case. It's not worth getting upset with each other over.



    I agree with you that if you know for a fact he's innocent of the murder, you should speak up, even if he's an awful person. What I disagree with is your claim that someone who keeps quiet is just as bad as the rapist. It's human to keep quiet. It's understandable. It's just not the right thing to do.

    I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree. To me.....anyone who would sit quite while a rapist or a murderer gets away with his crime when we were a witness....is just as bad as having committed it himself.

    Someone who would sit back and allow a person to get convicted of a crime.....knowing full well that the person is innocent....and just sitting back and staying silent....is morally reprehensible.

    I disagree with you....its not "human" to keep quite....its "inhumane". THAT is is exactly what is wrong with America today....too many people turn their heads and keep silent when the right thing to do is speak up. I don't accept that Americans have become so cold hearted that it is ok to remain silent in the fact of injustice. THAT is NOT the American ideal.

    It shouldn't be that hard to understand....at least in my mind.
    Last edited by disneydude; 07-02-11 at 09:39 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Someone who would sit back and allow a person to get convicted of a crime.....knowing full well that the person is innocent....and just sitting back and staying silent....is morally reprehensible.
    He is not innocent. He never got punished for his crime. This is not equivalent to stay quiet when an innocent man is sentenced to murder and you could have prevented it.

    This is equivalent to turning a blind eye, when you see the rapist get beaten up. A lot of people would do that. Some people would even take the laws in their own hands. That's not because they are cold hearted, but because they really care about their loved ones.
    Last edited by Camlon; 07-02-11 at 09:55 PM.

  3. #73
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    I wouldn't say a damn word.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  4. #74
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    He is not innocent. He never got punished for his crime. This is not equivalent to stay quiet when an innocent man is sentenced to murder and you could have prevented it.

    This is equivalent to turning a blind eye, when you see the rapist get beaten up. A lot of people would do that. Some people would even take the laws in their own hands. That's not because they are cold hearted, but because they really care about their loved ones.

    Wrong. He is innocent of the crime that he is being tried on. Two wrongs do not make a right. I stand by my post that it is completely immoral for someone to remain silent when they can prevent an injustice.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Wrong. He is innocent of the crime that he is being tried on. Two wrongs do not make a right. I stand by my post that it is completely immoral for someone to remain silent when they can prevent an injustice.
    That's not what you said. You said he was innocent. Not that he was innocent on the crime that he is being tried on.

    I think you are have a very little understanding of how it feels to see your daughter get raped. People will feel a mixture of guilt, they will get hurt and they will get really angry. You don't seem to take this into account at all. We are not machines, we are humans with feelings. Not everyone feels comfortable helping the rapist who raped your daughter. Why is that so hard to understand?

  6. #76
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    That's not what you said. You said he was innocent. Not that he was innocent on the crime that he is being tried on.

    I think you are have a very little understanding of how it feels to see your daughter get raped. People will feel a mixture of guilt, they will get hurt and they will get really angry. You don't seem to take this into account at all. We are not machines, we are humans with feelings. Not everyone feels comfortable helping the rapist who raped your daughter. Why is that so hard to understand?

    I understand the human drive for vengence....however, we are not animals....humans also have a thing called morality that keeps the vengence drive in check. It is a human emotion to feel anger and hatred....it is a higher morality that calls for control.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #77
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    .... I think you are have a very little understanding of how it feels to see your daughter get raped. People will feel a mixture of guilt, they will get hurt and they will get really angry. You don't seem to take this into account at all. We are not machines, we are humans with feelings. Not everyone feels comfortable helping the rapist who raped your daughter. ....
    That's why I said it's human to not want to help the rapist. However, by staying silent and getting him convicted of a crime he didn't commit, you're simultaneously helping the real murderer get away with it. That would hurt the family of the murder victim. That's the reason I'm for speaking up, though I completely understand why someone might keep quiet.

  8. #78
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1751Texan View Post
    Taking into account that my family[me and my daughter] were positive this person raped my daughter...and for whatever reason[I dont really know what that could be....] the rapist could not be charged and tried for the rape; the rapist would not be sitting in the restaurant and I most likely would have been hearing the news of the murder investagation from prison...
    Not if you do it the right way.

  9. #79
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    There have been a lot of great replies to this thread. Thanks. My first instinct was to keep my mouth shut. However, the fact that a murderer would go free was what changed my view. I would have to speak up. I would probably talk to the guy and tell him I would provide him his alibi if he owned up to the rape. That would be a bluff that I would hope would make him come clean. If it didn't, however, I would still come forward.

    I also disagree that a person who keeps quiet is just as bad as a rapist. I think keeping quiet is a very human thing to do.
    The problem with that is when he confesses to the rape in court, the judge will ask him if he was promised anything or coereced in any way to confess and he will have to say yes.

    You gave him something he wanted for the confession, so the judge would beleive him.

    I am sure he would rather confess to a rape than be convicted of a murder. Any criminal would.

    That is how I see it anyway.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    If people insist on living with a clean mind in this situation then: write an annonymous letter and send it in . . . . likely not admissible but it being truthful exhonerates, annonymous exempts.
    annonymous = crackpot

    The police toss those types of letters.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •