View Poll Results: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, you tell the truth and he goes free.

    20 62.50%
  • No, you let him be wrongfully convicted because he should have been convicted of the other crime.

    12 37.50%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 83

Thread: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?The personal attacks are going to stop now. If they don't infractions will be handed out.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #62
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Wow....you guys try everything to justify your immorality. Yes....sitting back and letting another person get raped, killed, condemned is just as bad as if you actively did it yourself. The basic core of a human being is not just to do no harm to another....but also to ensure that you don't passively sit back and allow it to occur in front of your face. Sorry.
    Really? You seem perfectly fine with letting a rapist get away with it. That seems pretty harmful to me.
    Last edited by X Factor; 07-02-11 at 10:30 AM.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  3. #63
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    He wouldn't have had that problem with the alibi, because of what he did to my daughter I would have dispatched him long ago if he walked from his first crime.

  4. #64
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    He wouldn't have had that problem with the alibi, because of what he did to my daughter I would have dispatched him long ago if he walked from his first crime.
    Given the nature of the hypothetical, I assumed that it didn't include the possibility that I'd already beaten the rapist to death with his own mother's head.

  5. #65
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    No, I just get pissed off at someone calling me just as bad as a child rapist, because I wouldn't help a child rapist who raped my daughter, not get convicted of murder.
    It IS just as immoral to sit back and do nothing while someone gets raped, murdered or condemned when you can prevent it. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #66
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Really? You seem perfectly fine with letting a rapist get away with it. That seems pretty harmful to me.
    Where did you get that? I never came even close to saying that anything even close to that. What I have said and will say again is that two wrongs don't make a right. It is not "justice" for an innocent person to get convicted of something that they didn't do, simply because they got away with something that they did. That is like stealing something from a store and justifying it by saying...well, once they overcharged me, so its ok.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #67
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    It IS just as immoral to sit back and do nothing while someone gets raped, murdered or condemned when you can prevent it. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable.
    Considering at that point that I would have a moral obligation to hurt the bastard any way I could, I don't think I can agree with this.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Where did you get that? I never came even close to saying that anything even close to that. What I have said and will say again is that two wrongs don't make a right. It is not "justice" for an innocent person to get convicted of something that they didn't do, simply because they got away with something that they did. That is like stealing something from a store and justifying it by saying...well, once they overcharged me, so its ok.
    There is nothing wrong with thinking that it is immoral. I said so myself.

    What makes you different is that you think not helping a child rapist who raped their daughter, is just as bad as child rape. Also, what if this is a different case and a person doesn't provide information, should he get 10 years behind bars for not providing information. Or do you think the real victims are the ones who raped?

  9. #69
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    It reminds me of two situations....first the incident I talked about before, where in NYC a woman was raped in the middle of the street and not a single person called 911. Also the case that happened several years ago, where a young girl was raped at the stateline casino in Nevada by a young man who was with another friend...who, while he didn't actually do anything illegal, didn't say anything while his friend raped and I believe killed the child.

    True....one does not have a legal obligation to help right a wrong....but certainly as human beings we have a moral obligation. It is not up to us to decide that an innocent person is not "worthy" of justice...and the fact that he got away with a horrendous crime does not absolve us of the moral obligation to prevent a horrendous injustice from occuring.

    People can try to justify it anyway they want to try to spin it, but the bottom line is that an injustice to anyone is an injustice to everyone.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #70
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Do you give the rapist an alibi for a cime he didn't commit?

    First things first: Folks, please let's get along. This is just a hypothetical that I read some years back. It's not a real case. It's not worth getting upset with each other over.

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    It reminds me of two situations....first the incident I talked about before, where in NYC a woman was raped in the middle of the street and not a single person called 911. Also the case that happened several years ago, where a young girl was raped at the stateline casino in Nevada by a young man who was with another friend...who, while he didn't actually do anything illegal, didn't say anything while his friend raped and I believe killed the child.

    True....one does not have a legal obligation to help right a wrong....but certainly as human beings we have a moral obligation. It is not up to us to decide that an innocent person is not "worthy" of justice...and the fact that he got away with a horrendous crime does not absolve us of the moral obligation to prevent a horrendous injustice from occurring.

    People can try to justify it anyway they want to try to spin it, but the bottom line is that an injustice to anyone is an injustice to everyone.
    I agree with you that if you know for a fact he's innocent of the murder, you should speak up, even if he's an awful person. What I disagree with is your claim that someone who keeps quiet is just as bad as the rapist. It's human to keep quiet. It's understandable. It's just not the right thing to do.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •