Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: Can You Admit when you are wrong

  1. #21
    Advisor BamaBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 03:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    510
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Atrasicarius, your philosophy is most interesting, more liberal than mine..
    But, I am anti-guns..
    And I do not understand the 9-11 truth thing ....
    A man should never admit to being "wrong", its a sign of weakness....
    Being able to admit when you are wrong or mistaken about something is in NO WAY a sign of weakness. In fact, In my book it makes a person stronger. I remember as a child my grandpa (who raised me and who was larger than life to me) grounded me and yelled at me for something that I DID NOT DO. I was so angry and hurt because he didnt believe me. Later that day he found out the truth of what happened, he came into my room that night and apologized and admitted that he was wrong. I have always respected my grandpa for that....and in my book that makes him a terrific parent and a man.

    Its very difficult to admit when youre wrong, but when you are and you do, it only strengthens you.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaBrat View Post
    Being able to admit when you are wrong or mistaken about something is in NO WAY a sign of weakness. In fact, In my book it makes a person stronger. I remember as a child my grandpa (who raised me and who was larger than life to me) grounded me and yelled at me for something that I DID NOT DO. I was so angry and hurt because he didnt believe me. Later that day he found out the truth of what happened, he came into my room that night and apologized and admitted that he was wrong. I have always respected my grandpa for that....and in my book that makes him a terrific parent and a man.

    Its very difficult to admit when youre wrong, but when you are and you do, it only strengthens you.
    My sentiments exactly. And people who cannot do the same for whatever reason are very difficult for me to comprehend.

  3. #23
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by BamaBrat View Post
    Being able to admit when you are wrong or mistaken about something is in NO WAY a sign of weakness. In fact, In my book it makes a person stronger. I remember as a child my grandpa (who raised me and who was larger than life to me) grounded me and yelled at me for something that I DID NOT DO. I was so angry and hurt because he didnt believe me. Later that day he found out the truth of what happened, he came into my room that night and apologized and admitted that he was wrong. I have always respected my grandpa for that....and in my book that makes him a terrific parent and a man.

    Its very difficult to admit when youre wrong, but when you are and you do, it only strengthens you.
    I agree. If you don't change your views when you discover you're wrong, how will you ever improve them? People end up believing some pretty ridiculous things because they're unwilling to admit or even consider that they might be wrong.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  4. #24
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    I agree. If you don't change your views when you discover you're wrong, how will you ever improve them? People end up believing some pretty ridiculous things because they're unwilling to admit or even consider that they might be wrong.
    You're view makes an assumption that people WANT to improve... that's not always the case.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #25
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    As a Politician,Talk Show Host, and Reporter, I found it absolutely essential that one not only be able to admit an error, but do so the minute you find you have made one.

    Sometimes an explanation is in order but others just dictate that you fess up ASAP.

    Credibility and the perception of it are critical where I came from.

    Even when I was in Executive Management candor was a must in gaining the trust and cooperation of others to accomplish the stated goal.

    I was raised by Parents who placed great importance on honesty and it hard to be otherwise now I find it most important in personal relationships.

  6. #26
    Educator snilloctjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    El Paso, TX USA
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    648

    joke Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    Not sure. I mean I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

  7. #27
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    Given human nature most of us are reluctant to admit when our opinions are wrong, and what does it take to cause you to admit it ?

    Personally I can say I was wrong about Ford Motor Company, around 2007 or so, before the financial crisis, I believed Ford to the the worst of the US autocompanies, and the least likely to survive. In large part to Alan Mulally mortgaging every thing possible.

    Secondly I can say I was wrong on the timinng of the US/world economic crisis. I truely thought it was going to hit at least 1 year earlier then it did, and the the size of it would be bigger.

    One last thing I would say I would have been wrong one, even though I though I did think it was coming. The printing press of money in the US and UK. I truely never thought such actions could have occured without a far greater uproar in the public and bond markets. Such actions are that of banana republics, not respected countries and governments
    Depends on the context. There are individuals who are close to me whom I respect. To those people I will admit that I'm wrong if and when I believe that's the case. There are, less frequently, individuals I've encountered online that I respect (and sometimes disagree with) to whom I will at least grudgingly admit error (albeit frequently in a backhanded and acerbic manner). Most everyone else can go screw themselves.

  8. #28
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:33 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,414
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    Sure. When I'm wrong. Like admitting I was once a Commi-D.

    No sense letting your ego get in the way... so I use a three sentence solution. I was wrong. I made a mistake. I changed my mind. With this, nobody will be able to use my ego against me... as in:

    Someone says... you decided (so-and-so)... and I reply... "I was wrong".
    And (the next assault...)... and I reply, "I made a mistake".
    (The barrage continues)... and I reply, "hey, I changed my mind"... "the original was a poor choice, got info that proved there was a better way... so I learned the hard way from that one."

    Like my youth...

    You're a Lib? I was, but that was a wrong decision".
    How did that happen? "Well, I was young and made a mistake... youthful ignorance, lacking knowledge etc."
    And your were a Lib how long? "Too long, but once I got the rest of the story, I changed my mind, and am now a Conservative."

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You're view makes an assumption that people WANT to improve... that's not always the case.
    If you ever work in a former East Bloc, Commi country, you will have had vast experience with this mentality. It's a shame, and runs very deep.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 07-01-11 at 04:18 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  9. #29
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    I can be wrong and if enough evidence proves I am wrong, I will surely change my mind.
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  10. #30
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Can You Admit when you are wrong

    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •