View Poll Results: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a learned bigoted reaction that can be unlearned.

    13 34.21%
  • It's a natural reaction.

    20 52.63%
  • Not enough is known about it to explain it.

    0 0%
  • Other (please elaborate)

    5 13.16%
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 300

Thread: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

  1. #71
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    True. The girls in lez porn may be bi, but they sure don't look like the lesbians I see IRL.
    You might be surprised to know who around you is actually homosexual and who isn't...

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I don't. I'm simply saying it happens. And statistically it happens every day. Multiple times a day. More than that depending on what estimate of unreported crimes you take.

    I live in America. I know a lot of Christians - they're everywhere. And as far as I'm aware, none of them have ever committed a hate crime against a gay person. I'm not trying to claim this is a majority, a plurality, or even a very significant minority. It clearly isn't.

    I'd be curious to know if Capt. Taylor's town had hate crime legislation in the recent past. Several states didn't which would obviously tend to truncate a hate crime investigation. I would also wonder how many crimes go unreported. But I could fathom it - in a smaller town it's not hard to believe statistically. This is a huge country.

    I absolutely agree the picketers were wrongly charged - and their charges were later dropped. Dropping hate crime legislation WITH IT, though, was the wrong move. They never qualified under the definition of a hate crime in the first place, so it wasn't a problem with the law - it was a problem with the enforcement.
    The absence of hate-crime legislation doesn't mean you can go beat the **** out of someone and get away with it.

    Hate-crime legislation simply increases the penalty for an existing crime if it can be proven that the crime was motivated by hatred of that class.

    Murder is murder is murder. Assault is assault is assault. You can't claim equality and a special status for prosecution purposes at the same time.

    The perp's motives do not effect the vic's actions after the fact, or whether the vic reports the crime or not.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-27-11 at 03:02 AM.

  3. #73
    User CarlF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    07-31-11 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    125

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    I'm heterosexual and I don't really. I mean, I'm not attracted to it, obviously, but I can definitely imagine grosser things.

  4. #74
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The absence of hate-crime legislation doesn't mean you can go beat the **** out of someone and get away with it.

    Hate-crime legislation simply increases the penalty for an existing crime if it can be proven that the crime was motivated by hatred of that class.

    Murder is murder is murder. Assault is assault is assault. The perp's motives do not effect the vic's actions after the fact, or whether the vic reports the crime or not.
    Ok. There's a case to be made for that. I don't have a solid opinion on it.

    I was simply proving that it happens - which you denied. The fact that it's categorized that way is handy for that, and for letting us know how big of a problem it is.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Ok. There's a case to be made for that. I don't have a solid opinion on it.

    I was simply proving that it happens - which you denied. The fact that it's categorized that way is handy for that, and for letting us know how big of a problem it is.
    Every type crime that exists, occurs in America.

    That doesn't mean Americans, as a cultural norm, hunt and execute gays.

    You found criminals who the public rejects. You did not prove that the general American populace seeks gays out for persecution. You found exceptions, and exceptions only prove rules. You proved my argument for me.

  6. #76
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,174

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Every type crime that exists, occurs in America.

    That doesn't mean Americans, as a cultural norm, hunt and execute gays.

    You found criminals who the public rejects. You did not prove that the general American populace seeks gays out for persecution. You found exceptions, and exceptions only prove rules. You proved my argument for me.
    It's not exceptional if it happens daily. And there are places where it happens far less. And here in America, Muslims do it far less as well. Chrisitianity-motivated killings of gays are far more common still in Africa. How many times do we have to go 'round with this?

    Basically what this shows is that the more theocratic a society, the more often they kill the marginalized people in their theocracy. What religion it worships doesn't seem to matter much.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?
    Ignorance, mostly.

    Gay people aren't just about sex, you know. They have diverse, dynamic lives just like everyone else. I think the solution for homophobes is to make friends with a gay person. They are just people being people, like anyone else.

    In other words, stop thinking of them as gay people and think of them as people.

  8. #78
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,888
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    I'm not, I watch lesbian porn all the time.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  9. #79
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Well, I think that depends. I think you have a point, and I think there are certainly people in the LGBT community who very intentionally put their sexuality on the table. But sexuality is also an indication of romantic attraction.

    And I also think it's unavoidable. The issue is discrimination, and the discrimination this cause is addressing is discrimination aimed at people of a certain sexuality. In order to fight for their cause, they have to identify the cause.
    True, but so much of their promoting their cause seems to be going all, "Hey! Look at ME! I'm GAY GAAAAAAY! Whaddya gonna do about it? Huh? Huh!? You don't like it? YOU DON'T LIKE IIIIT!? SUCK IT BIGOT!

    I honestly don't give a **** until they force me to make a decision.

    Oscar Wilde said homosexuality is "the love that dare not speak it's name." Someone more recently called it "the love that will not shut it's mouth."

    They want acceptance. I don't blame them. I just don't think they can legislate it, try as they might.

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    It's not exceptional if it happens daily.
    Yes it is, because it doesn't happen enough time to represent anything remotely close to ever dreaming of being the majority actions of Christians. Your links do not prove your argument, they only show a few exceptions. You haven't come close to proving your hate-speech against Christians, that we execute gays just as radical Islamists do.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •