View Poll Results: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's a learned bigoted reaction that can be unlearned.

    13 34.21%
  • It's a natural reaction.

    20 52.63%
  • Not enough is known about it to explain it.

    0 0%
  • Other (please elaborate)

    5 13.16%
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 300

Thread: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

  1. #121
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    I think it would be better if both were present in their life from day one. Do you disagree?
    Yes. Because it is quite likely that whoever was the missing parent did not want to be that child's parent, for whatever reason.

    I am completely for anybody providing a stable, loving home to a child, no matter if they are the child's biological parents or not. At least if extra efforts are involved in making the child, we know that the child isn't a result of an oops and the parents are just raising the child because they felt they had to rather than they wanted to.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #122
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,142

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    It was written in Ms about 50 years ago, I'll give you that.

    When you were a little girl, did you lie awake at night and ask, "Gee, I hope mommy and daddy truly love each other. I just can't be happy or content until I'm sure."
    What, you think kids are stupid? You don't think they notice when their parents are unhappy?

    I knew kids (both when I was one and more recently) who knew their parents were divorcing before anyone else did, and knew they were unhappy the whole time. And yeah, it does matter. The kid always thinks it's their fault. And sadly, it often is in a certain way, or at least it's still going on because they have a child together and they feel obligated. They know that too. Often times parents lie to themselves and say it's better to keep the deception going. It often isn't. That's a miserable way to grow up. Homes get turned inside out by this kind of thing all the time.

    In part because people like you refuse to accept them as they are. And that I can live with. That's on you. But letting the government do it too has got to be the line.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-27-11 at 05:04 AM.

  3. #123
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    And I'm sorry for that. Hell, I'm even in sympathy with that. I was once in love with a black girl. My family was happy I was in love. Hers couldn't handle the idea that she was seeing a white boy.

    Which serves my point - legalization will not bring acceptance.
    My parents aren't concerned about it, neither are my husband and I. The acceptance is coming more and more with each new generation.

    The LGBT community isn't looking for social acceptance through legalization of same sex marriage. They are looking for equal treatment under the law. To be able to have the same treatment for their relationship that I receive for my relationship when they are at the same level of commitment. It is needed and the right thing to do.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #124
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    What, you think kids are stupid? You don't think they notice when their parents are unhappy?

    I knew kids (both when I was one and more recently) who knew their parents were divorcing before anyone else did, and knew they were unhappy the whole time. And yeah, it does matter. The kid always thinks it's their fault. And sadly, it often is in a certain way, or at least it's still going on because they have a child together and they feel obligated. They know that too. Often times parents lie to themselves and say it's better to keep the deception going. It often isn't. That's a miserable way to grow up. Homes get turned inside out by this kind of thing all the time.

    In part because people like you refuse to accept them as they are. And that I can live with. That's on you. But letting the government do it too has got to be the line.
    Of course the kid knows when the parents are fighting. My argument is not about combative parents. I'm talking about the kid's notion of whether the parent is "fulfilled" or "happy in the marriage." I'm arguing against the sad old feminist line (and aren't they all sad and old?) that it's a bad thing for a child to "grow up in a loveless marriage," as if the kid cares whether or not his parents are in love. He just wants them together and, yes, not fighting.

  5. #125
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    My parents aren't concerned about it, neither are my husband and I. The acceptance is coming more and more with each new generation.

    The LGBT community isn't looking for social acceptance through legalization of same sex marriage. They are looking for equal treatment under the law. To be able to have the same treatment for their relationship that I receive for my relationship when they are at the same level of commitment. It is needed and the right thing to do.
    I really need to dedicate a hotkey to post this.

    There already IS equal treatment under the law. Any man and woman can marry. Equal. Same. No discrimination based on anything.

  6. #126
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    I really need to dedicate a hotkey to post this.

    There already IS equal treatment under the law. Any man and woman can marry. Equal. Same. No discrimination based on anything.
    Again with feeling... this is not an equal situation. A heterosexual can marry any willing individual that they are attracted in the context of their sexual orientation. A homosexual cannot. The argument that things are equal because a homosexual has the same rights as a heterosexual because they can also marry someone of the opposite sex has, thus, been rendered absurd, irrelevant, and invalid. Again.

    Every time you post your inaccurate information, I will correct you.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 06-27-11 at 05:33 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #127
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,142

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Of course the kid knows when the parents are fighting. My argument is not about combative parents. I'm talking about the kid's notion of whether the parent is "fulfilled" or "happy in the marriage." I'm arguing against the sad old feminist line (and aren't they all sad and old?) that it's a bad thing for a child to "grow up in a loveless marriage," as if the kid cares whether or not his parents are in love. He just wants them together and, yes, not fighting.
    And I didn't say combative, didn't I. And it truly doesn't matter. You'd just rather stay with the message that gay people shouldn't be able to raise kids and should be legally discriminated against than admit that your stance doesn't make any sense.

    Fortunately, time will disagree with you. Always does. I've yet to hear of an issue of civil liberties that came to the fore, and didn't win. And a hundred years from now, kids will sit in history class looking back on this era and wondering how anyone could discriminate against gays - it will look just as stupid as women not having the vote and blacks not being allowed to marry - while they fight with whatever prejudices they're dealing with then.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-27-11 at 05:23 AM.

  8. #128
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,604

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    And I didn't say combative, didn't I. And it truly doesn't matter. You'd just rather stay with the message that gay people shouldn't be able to raise kids and should be legally discriminated against than admit that your stance doesn't make any sense.

    Fortunately, time will disagree with you. Always does. I've yet to hear of an issue of civil liberties that came to the fore, and didn't win. And a hundred years from now, kids will sit in history class looking back on this era and wondering how anyone could discriminate against gays - it will look just as stupid as women not having the vote and blacks not being allowed to marry - while they fight with whatever prejudices they're dealing with then.
    Interesting, historically. Plessy v. Ferguson upheld the constitutionality of "separate but equal" between whites and blacks in 1896... and was overturned by Brown v. Board of Education in 1954.

    Betts v. Brady denied indigent defendants the right to an attorney at the state's expense in 1942. Gideon v. Wainwright overturned this in 1963. Things get changed based on a changing society.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #129
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,142

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Interesting, historically. Plessy v. Ferguson upheld the constitutionality of "separate but equal" between whites and blacks in 1896... and was overturned by Brown v. Board of Education in 1954.

    Betts v. Brady denied indigent defendants the right to an attorney at the state's expense in 1942. Gideon v. Wainwright overturned this in 1963. Things get changed based on a changing society.
    Yup. They don't always win the first time, but they always win eventually. There will probably be some stragglers in the US for another 20-50 years. But eventually it will be a thing of the past.

  10. #130
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Why are many people grossed out by homosexuality?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    And I didn't say combative, didn't I. And it truly doesn't matter. You'd just rather stay with the message that gay people shouldn't be able to raise kids and should be legally discriminated against than admit that your stance doesn't make any sense.

    Fortunately, time will disagree with you. Always does. I've yet to hear of an issue of civil liberties that came to the fore, and didn't win. And a hundred years from now, kids will sit in history class looking back on this era and wondering how anyone could discriminate against gays - it will look just as stupid as women not having the vote and blacks not being allowed to marry - while they fight with whatever prejudices they're dealing with then.
    And you, dear Mistress (wow! deja vu!) would rather stay with the popular culture and pretend gays are so horribly, horribly mistreated.

    What will the offspring of these gay marriages say a hundred years from now? That is the question.

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •