View Poll Results: What if a Minister refuses to perform gay ceremony?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should be allowed to refuse.

    92 98.92%
  • Should be forced to perform.

    0 0%
  • Should be stripped of license.

    1 1.08%
  • Should be arrested.

    0 0%
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 255

Thread: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

  1. #21
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Nobody is, nor can be.
    which church today outlaws interracial ceremonies?

  2. #22
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    which church today outlaws interracial ceremonies?
    The question should be "which church can refuse to perform an interracial ceremony?".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #23
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    all it takes is making this group a protective class, and the 1str amendment doesn't apply. I highly doubt clergy could openly use race as a factor in not performing a ceremony any longer, so I could see this eventually coming to pass too.
    You are wrong. Age, faith and sex are all protected classes yet churches are allowed to discriminate against them if the discrimination relates to the practice of their religion. There have been cases of age discrimination dismissed based on the ministerial exception. Why do you think Catholics are allowed to discriminate against women in choosing priest? Or for that matter, why would they be allowed to discriminate against priests of a different faith?

    This is not a controversial matter and is well established in the law.

  4. #24
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The question should be "which church can refuse to perform an interracial ceremony?".
    oops...yes that .

  5. #25
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    You are wrong. Age, faith and sex are all protected classes yet churches are allowed to discriminate against them if the discrimination relates to the practice of their religion. There have been cases of age discrimination dismissed based on the ministerial exception. Why do you think Catholics are allowed to discriminate against women in choosing priest? Or for that matter, why would they be allowed to discriminate against priests of a different faith?

    This is not a controversial matter and is well established in the law.
    you make good points.

  6. #26
    Advisor toddwv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-11 @ 02:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    315

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    The national argument is primarily about a government that legislatively edifies the argument that certain people are inferior in the eyes of the law simply because they don't adhere to arbitrary standards.

    I wonder why the same people who argue against same-sex marriage don't argue with the same vigor against those who divorce and remarry.
    God Has Boobs. It's in the Bible.

  7. #27
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    oops...yes that .
    OK< since we are on the same page, I believe the answer is "any".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #28
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Ministers or other religious officials are under no obligation to perform any wedding ceremony that they don't want to. The couple can find another church that doesn't discriminate, or they can get married by a judge (who, unlike the minister, should NOT be able to refuse to perform the ceremony).
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #29
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    all it takes is making this group a protective class, and the 1str amendment doesn't apply. I highly doubt clergy could openly use race as a factor in not performing a ceremony any longer, so I could see this eventually coming to pass too.
    Actually the Mormon Church refused to ordain black people into the priesthood until 1978...well after the Civil Rights Act. And as far as I know, there is nothing that says that a religion couldn't discriminate on the basis of race even today. The Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination against protected classes by the government, and to some extent by for-profit businesses. But I'm pretty sure that religious groups are exempt.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #30
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by SPC View Post
    With Gay marriage now being made legal in 6 states, what should be the reaction to a minister refusing to perform the ceremony?
    I dont understand why this fake concern arises.

    Gay marriage has NOTHING to do with this issues. Churches refuse marriages RIGHT NOW that are straight.

    The constitution allows them to do so and equal gay rights has no effect on that lol

    Not saying you OP but in general this argument when used against equal gay rights is nothing more than illogical BS and appeal to emotion, its a scare tactic that smart and objective people dont fall for.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •