View Poll Results: What if a Minister refuses to perform gay ceremony?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should be allowed to refuse.

    92 98.92%
  • Should be forced to perform.

    0 0%
  • Should be stripped of license.

    1 1.08%
  • Should be arrested.

    0 0%
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 255

Thread: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

  1. #161
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,756

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It is inevitable that churches will face the choice between either marrying homosexuals, or losing their credibility. But that's because public opinion is inexorably moving towards equal rights for gays. Any church can drag its heels, but there will be social fallout. There won't be legal fallout, because they are constitutionally protected. Seriously, why is this thread even 16 pages long? No religious institution is ever forced to perform a ceremony they don't want to.
    I think some may be either confused about the separation between (as you put it) legal fallout and social fallout, or actually think that the country is so far gone from what it used to be that congress could change the 1st amendment and no one would say a damn thing about it.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #162
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It is inevitable that churches will face the choice between either marrying homosexuals, or losing their credibility. But that's because public opinion is inexorably moving towards equal rights for gays. Any church can drag its heels, but there will be social fallout. There won't be legal fallout, because they are constitutionally protected. Seriously, why is this thread even 16 pages long? No religious institution is ever forced to perform a ceremony they don't want to.
    then why havent they already lost thier credibility? its not like this will be the first or even biggest thing churches have discriminated against.
    their credibllity only matters to people that believe in them and for the most part those people arent going anywhere
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #163
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Just remember, I don't always 'like' posts because I agree with them. Sometimes, it is because someone clarifies a position I was unclear about, or I was amused by the post, or it was a post that made me think about something in a different way.. . I hope people on here don't equate 'like' with 'agree'. I certainly don't.
    Oh my gosh, no, I didn't mean to imply that you agreed with me at all. In fact, I assumed that you disagreed with my sentiment about religion in general. However, I didn't think that you would have "liked" my particular post if it had been saying that religion should be curbed by some legislative means. I would have thought that any argument along those lines would have had to be far more developed for you to have 'liked' it for it's thoughtfulness.

    To be frank, I did come to the conclusion that you liked the post because you liked the fact that I don't want to legislate my own personal views regarding religion. I see now that I might have been wrong on that count, though you haven't said either way. If I did put words in your mouth, I do also here apologize :-)
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  4. #164
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I am completely opposed to the spread of religion. You have asked how I think it should be stopped. You think I meant that legal measures should be put in place to prevent the spread of religion. I don't. Nothing should be done. Nothing legislatively, that is. For the sake of freedom, I am resigned to the continued existence of religion. That was the point of me mentioning my opposition to religion, and I thought that would be clear from the context. I think Ludahai, the devout conservative Catholic, understood it. He 'liked' my post, in any event. Thanks Ludahai!




    Why would I say that creating fear was a tactic of the religious right's leadership to manipulate it's ignorant followers? Because that is exactly what it is. The religious right does piss me off. They lie in order to manipulate. I think this should be pointed out, vigorously, when it is done. When it is pointed out, they repeat the lie ever more emphatically. Their ignorant followers follow suit. This pisses me off, too. So, when you ask what I am worried about, it is their followers believing the lies they are told. They do this often. Believe things that have no substance or basis, that is.
    You know what? Failure to be in agreement with your supercilious ass does not make one ignorant. Hard to believe, huh? You know, when the best argument you have is to bash your political opposition, you show your own ignorance. Ironic huh?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  5. #165
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Are you aware that circumcision is a medical procedure? Parents cannot rely on faith healing over actual treatments for a child with cancer either. That is because...it is different than SSM, which is not, guess what...a medical procedure.
    The principles are the same, whatever the context. You're saying no medical decisions can involve religion? Shoot, look at end of life decisions, faith often plays a big role and it's a lot more serious that circumcision.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  6. #166
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    The better cons on this board must stop kissing left wing ass, X. That's why they keep coming at us so unpreparedly - they just know we're gonna be nice about it. They think we're panzies. And some of us are.
    I don't think I understand your point. I'm not pissed at all and I won't get pissed so I'd appreciate an honest answer. Did it seem to you the I was "kissing left wing ass" with my post you replied to?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  7. #167
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    You know what? Failure to be in agreement with your supercilious ass does not make one ignorant. Hard to believe, huh? You know, when the best argument you have is to bash your political opposition, you show your own ignorance. Ironic huh?
    No, being in disagreement with me doesn't make one ignorant. What makes one ignorant is not having a clue how the law works on these matters, not having a clue how liberals feel on these matters, and then top it off by believing the manipulative lies of the right wing propaganda machine. These matters are not in credible contention. The only thing that gives them a patina of credibility is that they are spouted so loudly by idiot entertainers on the right. Due to the fact that these conspiracy theories are believed by a sizable minority, they should be responded to vigorously with the ridicule they richly deserve. The fact that they are believed by that sizable minority notwithstanding.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  8. #168
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    No, being in disagreement with me doesn't make one ignorant. What makes one ignorant is not having a clue how the law works on these matters, not having a clue how liberals feel on these matters, and then top it off by believing the manipulative lies of the right wing propaganda machine. These matters are not in credible contention. The only thing that gives them a patina of credibility is that they are spouted so loudly by idiot entertainers on the right. Due to the fact that these conspiracy theories are believed by a sizable minority, they should be responded to vigorously with the ridicule they richly deserve. The fact that they are believed by that sizable minority notwithstanding.
    I wonder if you can think of any area of disagreement where you wouldn't see someone as being ignorant for disagreeing with you? Don't answer that now, I would just believe you're making it up just to spite me. You think you have your thumb on the pulse of the law, whereas nobody who disagrees with you does? I've provided several examples of things where the law has drifted in unforeseen ways. As far as not knowing what liberals think, shoot, some of you get pissed off if we ask "how liberals feel on the matter". I believe that was the very heart of the OP question and just for asking it, you get your shorts in a bunch. Finally, I think the biggest left wing propaganda lie that you have fully swallowed is that only the right wing uses propaganda.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  9. #169
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  10. #170
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: What if a Minister refuses to perform a gay wedding ceremony?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWOlin View Post
    You're gonna piss someone off with this, I'm just not sure who.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •