View Poll Results: Would you support a constitutional amendment defining marriage? See below

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under these circumstances, yes

    4 14.81%
  • Under any circumstances, no

    17 62.96%
  • Under other circumstances, maybe

    6 22.22%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were different?

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Do you support the government redefining marriage? Or do you think government should get out of marriage?
    I support the repeal of DOMA(which won't happen until the courts finish doing it, next year, maybe 2). I support SSM being legal and recognized. With NY legalizing SSM, and not having a residency requirement, once DOM A goes away, all gay couples can get married, and once that happens, states will start having to adopt. Further, once people see that SSM married couples are just like any other married couple, resistance to SSM will further decline. SSM is coming, and quickly, and there is no stopping it on any front, the courts, legislatively, or public opinion.

    At this point in time the government getting out of marriage is not going to happen, and would be so disruptive that I shudder to think of the consequences if it was tried. Federal benefits of marriage number in the thousands(I forget the actual number, it is mind boggling), state benefits are incredibly high as well. The government is not getting out of marriage.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Same question, do you discriminate against polygamous marriage?
    I have no opinion on polygamy and it is entirely and 100 % not relevant to SSM.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #23
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I have no opinion on polygamy and it is entirely and 100 % not relevant to SSM.
    So if the government legalized polygamous marriage you would have no problem with it, but you don't feel as compelled to fight for it. Is that accurate?
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  4. #24
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    So if the government legalized polygamous marriage you would have no problem with it, but you don't feel as compelled to fight for it. Is that accurate?
    Polygamy is not SSM. Polygamy is a red herring brought out by those against SSM. The two are not the same thing. I am not going to discuss polygamy, bestiality, incest, or any of the other host of red herrings and distractions. If you cannot make your case about SSM without the red herrings, it has already failed.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #25
    Educator

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    07-08-11 @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,235

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    So if the government legalized polygamous marriage you would have no problem with it, but you don't feel as compelled to fight for it. Is that accurate?
    Stop comparing polygamy to same sex marriage.
    OOOOOH IF YOU WANT A GAY MARRIAGE I WANT A DOG MARRIAGE I WANT TO MARRY MY DOG

  6. #26
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Polygamy is not SSM. Polygamy is a red herring brought out by those against SSM. The two are not the same thing. I am not going to discuss polygamy, bestiality, incest, or any of the other host of red herrings and distractions. If you cannot make your case about SSM without the red herrings, it has already failed.
    So in actuality, this fight has nothing to do with civil rights, constitutionality or anything like that but is really more about establishing your definition of marriage as the law of the land versus mine.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  7. #27
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    Quote Originally Posted by Gargantuan View Post
    If texas wants to discriminate against its citizens and say only a man and a woman can marry, then so be it.
    And would you feel the same way if a state decided to bring back Jim Crow Laws? The 14th Amendment of the US Constitution provides for equal protection under the law. Period.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #28
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    So in actuality, this fight has nothing to do with civil rights, constitutionality or anything like that but is really more about establishing your definition of marriage as the law of the land versus mine.
    non sequitor.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #29
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    non sequitor.
    I disagree. The point of this poll is that you have a definition of marriage that you hold to just as dogmatically as I hold to mine. You prove that by not even considering debate on any other form of non-traditional marriage, because in your mind the definition of marriage that you are willing to fight for is a social contract between two consenting adults. It has nothing to do with civil rights, constitutionality, or any other noble cause. It is simply an us versus them for SSM supporters. Am I wrong?
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  10. #30
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    Re: Would you support a constitutional marriage amendment if circumstance were differ

    I support mixed gender polygamous civil unions.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •