View Poll Results: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree. Religion is just legitimized superstition that causes problems.

    19 36.54%
  • Disagree. Though it has faults, religion plays an important role.

    33 63.46%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

  1. #51
    User CarlF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    07-31-11 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    125

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Agree. Legitimized superstition really is the perfect term for it and it doesn't have to be an extreme case for it to cause harm. Believing in something false for emotional reasons rather than reacting to the world logically can never help us, and the harm religion causes in society is evident when you look at public opinion and government stances on issues such as drugs and sexuality.

    In other words, religion makes people think it's okay for the government to tell people what to do with their personal lives.

  2. #52
    User CarlF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    07-31-11 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    125

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Agree. Legitimized superstition really is the perfect term for it. And it doesn't have to be an extreme case for it to cause harm. Believing in something false for emotional reasons rather than reaction to the world logically can never help us. The effect religion has on all of our lives can be seen by taking a look at public opinion, and more importantly, government stances on issues such as drugs and sexuality. In other words, religion causes people to think it's okay to tell people what to do with their personal lives. Maybe you should think of that the next time you're thinking of telling an atheist that what people believe in is none of their business.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Most religions yes. But regardless, people will find something to worship whether that be the intellect of man, science, themselves, or their jobs/things in life.
    Depends on how you define worship. By making the term as broad as you are, you're basically making it meaningless. Besides, at least the things you list for "worship" are real. I'll take that over imaginary friends any day.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #54
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    ... A tool in of itself is not dangerous. It's how that tool is used that matters.
    Sandpaper as dangerous as a hammer as dangerous as a power saw??? Most successful religions promise eternal life in heaven, some promising men even more. There are not equivalents in other tools.

  5. #55
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by DemonMyst View Post
    James.. My post is 100% accurate and correct.. What you are forgetting is that without a religion, there is no religious influence..
    You seem to think religion equals belief in a deity,spirituality, supernatural and all that other related stuff. It does not. Your posts are not accurate. They are nothing more than bigotry against religions involving the belief in a deity.


    There is no bible.. No 10 commandments..
    You do realize that 6 of the ten commandments have nothing to do with religion itself?

    Do you think disrespecting your parents and committing adultery, murder, lying, stealing and coveting your neighbors **** are good things?


    over 90% of conservatives are religious.. Most conservative values come from the bible..
    You do realize that conservatives are not the only ones who are religious. There are lots of liberals who claim to be religious. Barrack Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Ted Kennedy and some other libs are religious. The reason conservatives go to religious conservative churches is because those church's views line up with their own just as liberals go to liberal churches because those churches views line up with their own. It like a gun club, you do not go a gun club if hate guns and want to **** on the 2nd amendment. You go to a gun club because you love guns and the 2nd amendment. The bible did not make these people love conservative values.

    The arguement about abortion starts with 'Thou shalt not kill.' Which is why pro-lifers love to call it murder and killing..
    My argument and many other people who are against legalized abortion has to do with the fact we believe the baby in the womb is a baby and therefore deserves the same right to life legal protection as anyone outside the womb. Not because the bible tells us that murder is wrong. This is why you also have people who claim to be religious but support abortion.


    Since many religious folks don't believe in birth control.. It is no wonder that over 50% of all abortions are done by people of religion..
    They can't be good Catholics(or some other religion that condemns birth control) if they are having an abortion and they are engaging in an adultery. People who use the its against my religion to use a condom or some other BS while engaging in adultery use this as an excuse because condoms do not feel good. It doesn't have **** to do with their religion. Because if they were catholic or some other religion that condemns the use of birth control then they would not be engaging in adultery and having abortions in the first place.


    Religion propigates hatred which is why fanaticism is an issue.. I never said fanaticism would disappear.. I said religious fanatics.. So my statement was correct..
    These things would exist regardless if you wiped out all deities. Many people promoting equal rights for blacks and other races were religious.

    Descrimintation again gets it's roots from religion.. Feel free to go read what the bible says about slavery..
    Discrimination happens regardless of religion and it happens on a daily bases. Discrimination is an not always a bad thing. Go to a Hooters restaurant to see if you can find a waiter or a morbidly obese waitress.

    How you should treat your slaves.. How you are allowed to punish your slaves..
    No religion.. No slavery.. It is no coincedent that the South, the religious part of our nation, fought to keep slavery..
    I do not know if you this but slavery existed long before religion and slavery was considered acceptable by a lot of societies all over the world and many religious people were against slavery.

    My statements were correct.. In every way.. With the influence of religion, everyone will be left with the influence of science.. We will all be liberal so to speak.. We all will be operating on the same moral values.. No condemnation of a persons sexuality.. No fear of teaching our children about homosexuals, or hermaphrodites.. No fear of educating our children in science.. No fear in them being smarter than we are..

    Religion has honestly done nothing for mankind.. Countless people murdered in the name of the lord.. Countless people descriminated against because of a book written during the bronze age.. No holy wars.. No Christians Vs. the Muslims..

    You can think and believe whatever you want.. But make no mistakes.. My post is accurate..

    To respond to a few other folks.. Yes.. People will always find something to worship.. I worship my wife and she worships me.. But that doesn't classify as a religion.. Religion is about control.. Pay the church money so they can tell you what to eat, how to have sex, how to think, how to raise your kids, how to pray, how to worship, and how to live your lives.. Sadly so many people don't see it that way.. But that is how it is.. According to the religious, god gave us freedom of choice.. Well?? When was the last time someone of religion actually used it??
    Your statements are based on nothing more than your bigotry towards religions involving the belief in a deity, not facts.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #56
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree
    I would answer "other" but there is no option.

    Removing religion would not make the world any better or worse.

    Differences in beliefs--religious or otherwise--are often caused by fundamental disagreements about how to correctly and/or accurately interpret our personal experiences. Removing religious beliefs will not resolve such disagreements.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  7. #57
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    .

    They believe man made global warming is real. That is a belief.
    No, they don't. They have knowledge of global warming, not belief. Believing in something is accepting it without evidence. Christians believe in Jesus/God/Holy Ghost without any evidence whatsoever that these things exist -- and without any reasonable definition by which they could conceivably even get evidence. Global warming is supported by mountains of scientific evidence, as is gravity, as is the notion that the Earth is a sphere. That is knowledge. The driving of hybrid cars is not religious ceremony; it's strategy for reducing CO2s. A person would have to be totally out of touch with reality to regard that as religion. It's not the only strategy. There's car pooling, driving less, bicycling, taking public transportation, etc. These are all things that might be helpful, but have nothing to do with religion. They're just choices some people make.

    In short, religion is belief. Science is knowledge. The former is based on faith, the latter is based on evidence.

  8. #58
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    I would answer "other" but there is no option.

    Removing religion would not make the world any better or worse.

    Differences in beliefs--religious or otherwise--are often caused by fundamental disagreements about how to correctly and/or accurately interpret our personal experiences. Removing religious beliefs will not resolve such disagreements.
    Intelligent response. Thanks. I don't think the demise of religion would make a perfect world, but it would get rid of the preposterous religious wars. It's nuts that a tiny piece of real estate on the eastern shore of the Mediterranean is some kind of holy land that's worth suicide bombing over. If there were no Judaism or Islam, the people there would have a better chance to see the humanity in one another rather than their religious enmity.

    But you're right, people would likely still find things to fight over such as political or economic philosophy.

  9. #59
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    But you're right, people would likely still find things to fight over such as political or economic philosophy.
    Even if religion was somehow magically removed from the minds of people then something else would fill the void. Just look at Raelism (raelians). They are atheists but they nonetheless have some of the silliest and stupidest beliefs.

    Being an atheist doesn't magically make someone a critical thinker.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  10. #60
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: The world would be better with no religion at all. Agree/disagree

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    No, they don't. They have knowledge of global warming, not belief.
    No they don't. They have belief that man made global warming is real because are taking the word of a handful of people who say that the man made global warming fairy tale is real and a bunch of people who happen to agree with them.


    Believing in something is accepting it without evidence.
    Believe is to consider something to be true or honest. It has nothing to do with evidence.



    Christians believe in Jesus/God/Holy Ghost without any evidence whatsoever that these things exist -- and without any reasonable definition by which they could conceivably even get evidence.
    Many of them claim to have evidence God, Jesus or the Holy Ghost is real just as you claim to have evidence that the man made global warming fairy tale is real.



    Global warming is supported by mountains of scientific evidence,
    There is no evidence that man made global warming is real and there is no evidence that it is real over what has been happening for billions of years on this planet on its own.


    as is gravity, as is the notion that the Earth is a sphere. That is knowledge.
    Those things can actually be proven. Regardless of the fact those things can be proven you either believe the earth is round and believe that gravity exists or you do not.
    The driving of hybrid cars is not religious ceremony;
    I and dictionary.com(which cites multiple sources) didn't say ceremony, it said practice. If drive a hybrid car because you think it will help stop global warming then it is a religious practice.

    it's strategy for reducing CO2s. A person would have to be totally out of touch with reality to regard that as religion. It's not the only strategy. There's car pooling, driving less, bicycling, taking public transportation, etc. These are all things that might be helpful, but have nothing to do with religion. They're just choices some people make.
    If you and a bunch of other people have set of beliefs and carry out activities because of those beliefs it is a religion. This is what a religion is "the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices".




    the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs

    People who believe in the man made global warming fairy tale.


    the body of persons adhering to ........... practices

    Driving hybrid cars
    recycling
    buying recycled goods and or recyclable goods
    .
    Pushing for cap and trade
    Spread the belief that man made global warming fairy tale is real.
    donate money to environmental causes and studies on man made global warming
    Carpooling and anything else done to combat man made global warming.



    In short, religion is belief. Science is knowledge. The former is based on faith, the latter is based on evidence.
    Again belief is to believe something to be true or honest. To know something is to perceive or understand as fact or truth . You believe that the man made global warming fairy tale is true despite the fact that climate change regardless if it is severe or minute has been going on for billions of years. And because of this belief you recycle, you drive hybrid cars, you probably foolishly buy organic produce, you insist on cap and trade, you insist on carbon credits and all sorts of other things associated with the belief in the man made global warming fairy tale.




    You keep making the same idiotic bigoted statement that religion has to involve the belief in a deity,the supernatural,magic or some other related thing. Again Religion is a group of persons adhering to a certain set of beliefs and practices. To believe is to consider something to be true or honest. It doesn't matter if you think your evidence is real or not or how many people say your evidence is real.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •