View Poll Results: Which is more "intelligent"? Atheism, Agnosticism or Theism?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atheism

    9 31.03%
  • Agnosticism

    9 31.03%
  • Theism

    1 3.45%
  • They are equal

    5 17.24%
  • None of the above

    2 6.90%
  • Other

    3 10.34%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 90 of 90

Thread: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

  1. #81
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    I'm gonna vouch for Dan here. I disagree with him on almost everything, but he is nothing if not civil and respectful. He just has a very distinct worldview that might not be shared with many members of this forum, but I agree with Redress that he is at least trying to understand other viewpoints.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #82
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Saying "I don't buy it" is respectful?

    A request for the simplest answer (which was provided I think 2 or 3 times) would suffice without telling people that... I'm not sure what... thought doesn't exist? It's a weird thing to say.
    No disrespect meant, Mistress. I just . . . sorry, found it amusing there ar so many flavors of atheism. I wasn't aware. Now I am. Thanks.

  3. #83
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    No disrespect meant, Mistress. I just . . . sorry, found it amusing there ar so many flavors of atheism. I wasn't aware. Now I am. Thanks.
    All good. Just gotta ask if there's something you wanna know...

  4. #84
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think you are seeing something that is not there. He tried to understand, he did not, he expressed a preference for a simple world view. He was nothing short of respectful.
    No, I expressed amusement at the idea of "degrees of disbelief."

    Okay. Unsubscribing the thread. Not coming back. For real. Going to bed.

  5. #85
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    No, I expressed amusement at the idea of "degrees of disbelief."

    Okay. Unsubscribing the thread. Not coming back. For real. Going to bed.
    You'll be back.

    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #86
    Educator DemonMyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle WA.
    Last Seen
    02-11-13 @ 12:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    727

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    I voted other..

    The intelligent thing is to simply not blindly believe something because some book or someone else tells you to.. Gather as much information as can about anything and come to your own conclusions.. Think for yourself.. That is intelligent.. The moment you let something or someone else think for you.. Well.. You are an idiot at that point..

  7. #87
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    There is not a real difference between the first two options. Agnosticism and Atheism for all intents and purposes mean the same thing. Both simply assert that the existence of a supernatural deity cannot be proven because science and rational thought is naturalistic.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #88
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    There is not a real difference between the first two options. Agnosticism and Atheism for all intents and purposes mean the same thing. Both simply assert that the existence of a supernatural deity cannot be proven because science and rational thought is naturalistic.
    That's not really what atheism is. Your definition fits agnosticism better.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #89
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    That's not really what atheism is. Your definition fits agnosticism better.
    Its an argument of semantics. Every Atheist I have ever known has said that they don't believe in a supernatural God, but would be open to any evidence for the existence for one. Every Agnostic I have ever known has said that whether God exists or not is not knowable because there is no evidence for the existence of one, thus they don't believe God exists, but would be open to evidence for the existence of God if such evidence existed. Basically, both camps are making the exact same argument, just presenting it slightly differently.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  10. #90
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Its an argument of semantics. Every Atheist I have ever known has said that they don't believe in a supernatural God, but would be open to any evidence for the existence for one. Every Agnostic I have ever known has said that whether God exists or not is not knowable because there is no evidence for the existence of one, thus they don't believe God exists, but would be open to evidence for the existence of God if such evidence existed. Basically, both camps are making the exact same argument, just presenting it slightly differently.
    Dude! Where the hell have you been? Good to see you back!

    Oh, and by the way, you are wrong. Kinda a neat link earlier in the thread which kinda explains the differences. Common usage, you have a point, but realistically, no.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •