View Poll Results: Which is more "intelligent"? Atheism, Agnosticism or Theism?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atheism

    9 31.03%
  • Agnosticism

    9 31.03%
  • Theism

    1 3.45%
  • They are equal

    5 17.24%
  • None of the above

    2 6.90%
  • Other

    3 10.34%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

  1. #71
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    A Kenyan.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Perhaps a highly stylized version of humanism? I don't know. Up to you.
    I suppose I'll stick with ecocentrism. It doesn't have the life = influence (explicitly, though it is the foundation of the philosophy), nor heaven = future (at all); however, it covers most of the bases.

    Ecocentrism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  2. #72
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    So apparently what people think doesn't exist... because you say so?

    You've also failed to read (or possibly comprehend) most of the responses made to you, which make it clear dealing with the concept of deities and a particular deity are quite different.

    You simply don't want to have a clearer understanding of it - which is your problem, not ours.
    Before you get too bent out of shape, he has made an attempt to see other points of view, which is rare in threads on topics like this. He is struggling, but he has made an effort. Don't get upset with some one for stepping out of their comfort zone and not seeing things as others do right away.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #73
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    So apparently what people think doesn't exist... because you say so?

    You've also failed to read (or possibly comprehend) most of the responses made to you, which make it clear dealing with the concept of deities and a particular deity are quite different.

    You simply don't want to have a clearer understanding of it - which is your problem, not ours.
    That's true. I like to think of myself as a strong Agno-Atheist.

  4. #74
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    How can there be layers to disbelief/non-belief? (No, I don't buy the disctinctions. Those seem to be for you guys to kick around with each other.)
    These have already been explained to you, Dan. They're different. Whether you buy it or not is your business, I guess, but there are concrete distinctions and that's why they are given different names. Atheism isn't simple and easy, and not all atheists think the same way or believe the same things. That's just the reality of it.

    I think I prefer O'Hare and Hitchens. They're pretty damn sure and make no bones about it.
    There's no rational basis for being sure about ANYTHING when it comes to matters of faith (or un-faith). There is only certainty in knowing that you can't know all the answers.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  5. #75
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Not understanding is fairly different from merely claiming other points of view can't or don't exist.

  6. #76
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Not understanding is fairly different from merely claiming other points of view can't or don't exist.
    Now you understand how some theists on this board can be so frustrated with atheists.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #77
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    These have already been explained to you, Dan. They're different. Whether you buy it or not is your business, I guess, but there are concrete distinctions and that's why they are given different names. Atheism isn't simple and easy, and not all atheists think the same way or believe the same things. That's just the reality of it.



    There's no rational basis for being sure about ANYTHING when it comes to matters of faith (or un-faith). There is only certainty in knowing that you can't know all the answers.
    Thanks. I do appreciate the responses.

    Don't mind me. I'm not here.

  8. #78
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Now you understand how some theists on this board can be so frustrated with atheists.
    You're talking about something entirely different. I have never claimed someone does not believe what they say they do. Totally different kettle of fish.

    I have complete faith in ones ability to believe things. It's a very weird statement, really, and tells me he isn't interested in the answer at all.

  9. #79
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    You're talking about something entirely different. I have never claimed someone does not believe what they say they do. Totally different kettle of fish.

    I have complete faith in ones ability to believe things. It's a very weird statement, really, and tells me he isn't interested in the answer at all.
    I think you are seeing something that is not there. He tried to understand, he did not, he expressed a preference for a simple world view. He was nothing short of respectful.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #80
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,147

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Saying "I don't buy it" is respectful?

    A request for the simplest answer (which was provided I think 2 or 3 times) would suffice without telling people that... I'm not sure what... thought doesn't exist? It's a weird thing to say.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •