View Poll Results: Which is more "intelligent"? Atheism, Agnosticism or Theism?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Atheism

    9 31.03%
  • Agnosticism

    9 31.03%
  • Theism

    1 3.45%
  • They are equal

    5 17.24%
  • None of the above

    2 6.90%
  • Other

    3 10.34%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 90

Thread: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

  1. #61
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    Sectarian atheism! GOD I love intellectuals!
    Not really that either. It's not like protestant and catholics. It's the need of people to categorize things that leads to all the extra labels.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #62
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Well...that's a pretty wide spectrum, now isn't it?
    No.

    10 Characters
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    None of the above. People are intelligent, or stupid. Their religious beliefs don't affect intelligence.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  4. #64
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    These are useful distinctions, Dan. Not all atheists are the same or believe the same things, just as not all Christian denominations adhere to the same doctrines. Atheism is simply an umbrella term that has been used to group people of various and disparate beliefs and lump all of them together.
    It's a term they have chosen and are apparently arguing over. You believe or you don't. They're in the dont camp.

  5. #65
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    None of the above. People are intelligent, or stupid. Their religious beliefs don't affect intelligence.
    Dammit, now I am not the only one with the right answer...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #66
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    It's a term they have chosen and are apparently arguing over. You believe or you don't. They're in the dont camp.
    Very few argue over it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #67
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    It's a term they have chosen and are apparently arguing over. You believe or you don't. They're in the dont camp.
    Sure. There's also different, distinct degrees of "don't believe." That's why they have different names.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #68
    Guru
    LuckyDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Carrollton, TX
    Last Seen
    05-13-13 @ 11:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,758

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Everything has multiple layers. If you are trying to compare atheism to religion, please keep in mind there are endless divisions within any philosophical, scientific, etc, concepts as well. This is not unique to religion in any way.



    Perhaps a highly stylized version of humanism? I don't know. Up to you.
    How can there be layers to disbelief/non-belief? (No, I don't buy the disctinctions. Those seem to be for you guys to kick around with each other.)

    I think I prefer O'Hare and Hitchens. They're pretty damn sure and make no bones about it.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Which is the most "intelligent" philosophy?

    Intelligent means "based in a reasonable application of one's knowledge and understanding of reality".

    I ask this because I've been in and seen conversations with atheists and theists who treat their opposites as completely stupid. I genuinely want to know which one of the three people think is more intelligent and why. Other arguments are encouraged as well.

    I personally think they're all equally intelligent.
    I don't see how one is inherently any more "intelligent" than the other.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #70
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,168

    Re: Atheism, Agnosticism and Theism

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDan View Post
    How can there be layers to disbelief/non-belief? (No, I don't buy the disctinctions. Those seem to be for you guys to kick around with each other.)

    I think I prefer O'Hare and Hitchens. They're pretty damn sure and make no bones about it.
    So apparently what people think doesn't exist... because you say so?

    You've also failed to read (or possibly comprehend) most of the responses made to you, which make it clear dealing with the concept of deities and a particular deity are quite different.

    You simply don't want to have a clearer understanding of it - which is your problem, not ours.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •