View Poll Results: What do you think of the video? Pick all that apply

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offensive

    10 47.62%
  • Stupid

    20 95.24%
  • Valid

    1 4.76%
  • Effective

    2 9.52%
  • Inneffective

    13 61.90%
  • Prone to backfire

    14 66.67%
  • Other

    3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

  1. #11
    Educator Helvidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Good ol' US of A
    Last Seen
    02-01-17 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    735

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    I'm not sure this is as dumb as everyone is making it out to be. It depends on the goal of the group. Her opponent does not endorse the video and had nothing to do it so it doesn't make the opponent look bad. If I were a constituent, I would want to look into these allegations against Janice Hahn to see if there is any truth to them. If that was the goal, then mission accomplished IMO
    Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I use the term "campaign video" to refer to a video that campaigns for or against a candidate. By that definition, it is a campaign video. By "real" I meant that it was not done as a joke.
    Of course it was a joke. Read their mission statement...

    Turn Right USA’s mission is to expose and lampoon the typical politico’s microscopic brain through cutting-edge viral videos with guts and humor!
    Define Lampoon: A light, good-humored satire.


    Therefore, by your own definition of 'real'... it wasn't.

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    Of course it was a joke. Read their mission statement...



    Define Lampoon: A light, good-humored satire.


    Therefore, by your own definition of 'real'... it wasn't.
    It's about a real person and a real issue with the intent to influence the election. It was not done as a parody of an add, but as a real add.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It's about a real person and a real issue with the intent to influence the election. It was not done as a parody of an add, but as a real add.
    Apparently about a real person who did a real stupid thing with real peoples tax dollars. The commercial may be juvenile, but reading some of the people that got paid by the ho and their crimes, it might just be a commercial that needed to be made, yo.

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Apparently about a real person who did a real stupid thing with real peoples tax dollars. The commercial may be juvenile, but reading some of the people that got paid by the ho and their crimes, it might just be a commercial that needed to be made, yo.
    Actually the add is factually incorrect and misleading on that issue as well. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...-members-taxp/
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It's about a real person and a real issue with the intent to influence the election. It was not done as a parody of an add, but as a real add.
    So... their mission statement lied?

  7. #17
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Actually the add is factually incorrect and misleading on that issue as well. PolitiFact | Video accuses Janice Hahn of hiring gang members with taxpayer money as 'gang-intervention specialists'
    Interesting that in the Politifact article you cite Hahn herself defends the position and actions. Later it is stated that the government unequivocally does NOT hire gang members. Absolutely not. No way. They hire Connie Rice, who then pays gang members. So if the add were more accurate, Ms Hahn would be a trench coat/fedora wearing smoke and shadows type, filtering the money to Ms Rice, who would then be doin the stripper act. Not a DIRECT payment, but obviously she knew what time it was.

    "When we contacted Hahn's campaign, spokesman Dave Jacobson reiterated the point that Hahn did not "directly" fund gang-intervention specialists.

    But that doesn't mean city money doesn't filter to them.

    "She (Hahn) did not hire any gangsters," said civil rights lawyer and gang expert Connie Rice. "The city doesn’t pay the intervention specialists directly."

    Rather, Rice said, city funds go to agencies like hers, the Advancement Project in Los Angeles, which then go out and hire intervention specialists. And, she said, it works: violence is down. That's why city and county law enforcement agencies routinely work with organizations that hire former gang members to "interface" with the gang community, she said.

    "We have to engage with the people doing the damage," said Rice.

    "Do we talk to actual gangsters, yes," Rice said. "We ask them not to shoot kids. This is the reality. We're trying to save lives, not score political points. It's smart policy."

    Is it controversial? Sure, Rice said. And sometimes some of the people hired for gang-intervention work "mess up." Those found to be abusing the system are cut off, she said. That doesn't mean the program isn't working, she said. "You can throw stones at that," Rice said, but the reality is "when you go into gang-controlled hot spots, you have to deal with the gangs. People don't understand what we're facing out here. In our hots spots, we still have the OK Corral."

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    So... their mission statement lied?
    You cannot figure out how to make a humorous campaign video?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #19
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:24 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,324
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Interesting that in the Politifact article you cite Hahn herself defends the position and actions. Later it is stated that the government unequivocally does NOT hire gang members. Absolutely not. No way. They hire Connie Rice, who then pays gang members. So if the add were more accurate, Ms Hahn would be a trench coat/fedora wearing smoke and shadows type, filtering the money to Ms Rice, who would then be doin the stripper act. Not a DIRECT payment, but obviously she knew what time it was.

    "When we contacted Hahn's campaign, spokesman Dave Jacobson reiterated the point that Hahn did not "directly" fund gang-intervention specialists.

    But that doesn't mean city money doesn't filter to them.

    "She (Hahn) did not hire any gangsters," said civil rights lawyer and gang expert Connie Rice. "The city doesn’t pay the intervention specialists directly."

    Rather, Rice said, city funds go to agencies like hers, the Advancement Project in Los Angeles, which then go out and hire intervention specialists. And, she said, it works: violence is down. That's why city and county law enforcement agencies routinely work with organizations that hire former gang members to "interface" with the gang community, she said.

    "We have to engage with the people doing the damage," said Rice.

    "Do we talk to actual gangsters, yes," Rice said. "We ask them not to shoot kids. This is the reality. We're trying to save lives, not score political points. It's smart policy."

    Is it controversial? Sure, Rice said. And sometimes some of the people hired for gang-intervention work "mess up." Those found to be abusing the system are cut off, she said. That doesn't mean the program isn't working, she said. "You can throw stones at that," Rice said, but the reality is "when you go into gang-controlled hot spots, you have to deal with the gangs. People don't understand what we're facing out here. In our hots spots, we still have the OK Corral."
    The only evidence that Hahn got any one out of jail is the word of one person, who thought that was how he got released but did not know it. City funding did go to the program, but as it is represented in the video is entirely inaccurate.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #20
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,680

    Re: Offensive, Stupid, Valid...

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The only evidence that Hahn got any one out of jail is the word of one person, who thought that was how he got released but did not know it. City funding did go to the program, but as it is represented in the video is entirely inaccurate.
    I dont know about entirely inaccurate...but like I said earleir...not unlike the Move-On adds. Special interest campaigns can do pretty much whatever they want.

    "One of the ads that was submitted that they considered viable for airing – with $7 million, by the way, in funds that we don't know where it comes from, but we know they've said they'd spend $7 million to air the ad that they've settled on – one of them morphed President Bush into Adolf Hitler," explained Gillespie. "Those are the kind of tactics we're seeing on the left today in support of these Democratic presidential candidates."

    The first ad shows a series of pictures of Hitler speaking in German. Text on the screen reads as follows: "We have taken new measures to protect our homeland ... I believe I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator ... God told me to strike at al-Qaida and I struck them ... and then He instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did."

    "Sound familiar?" asks the text, to the sound of cheering Germans.

    Saying he believed the White House was guided by a "supremacist ideology," Soros complained: "America, under Bush, is a danger to the world ... When I hear Bush say, 'You're either with us or against us,' it reminds me of the Germans ... My experiences under Nazi and Soviet rule have sensitized me."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •