View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I say it often; and I mean it.

    3 4.11%
  • I say it sometimes; and I mean it

    2 2.74%
  • I say in infrequently; and I mean it

    12 16.44%
  • I say it often; but in a joking manner

    2 2.74%
  • I say it sometimes; but in a joking manner

    5 6.85%
  • I say it infrequently; but in a joking manner

    13 17.81%
  • It spontaneous/ Never know when I may say it

    0 0%
  • I never say it

    36 49.32%
Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 402

Thread: The Tabooed N-Word

  1. #141
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I'm young but I don't recall when the word "Negro" was ever considered an offensive term.
    Well being from the south and my father being from the old south and my grandparents being from the really old south, I heard this term quite often and mostly in a non derogatory manner. That just the way it was when I was growing up, but living overseas and having two sisters and a mother from Belmont and Marshfield Massachusetts and my father from Waco Texas and my brother from Baton Rouge LA., well we did have some very interesting conversations at the dinner table some very spirited ones. My house had two very different political points of view and neither side backed down

  2. #142
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,219

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Chaos View Post
    Aren't you simply redefining the word to suit your personal views? Much the same way that you or others may accuse the "PC" crowd of making all sorts of words up for black people hoping to find one that isn't offensive.

    Imagine two black guys, one guy is acting in a way that you describe as a "nigger" and the other is acting in a way you find acceptable or in a non-nigger way. Now, if I were a non-black racist / BNP / Nazi or KKK person - do you think I'd think both black guys were niggers or just one of them? I find it strange that people think they will be seen any different by those who would use that word with real intent simply by their actions: the point of calling someone "nigger" is as a racial epithet, no matter how well behaved the victim.
    And, that's your point of view. It's not wrong, it's just your's. You think it has no other use than as a racial slur, no matter what and you don't want to say it? Fine, don't.

    I use it in a manner to elicite a response, in hopes of making the black person I am talking to wake up and realize that the reason he, or she isn't getting the respect they think they deserve, is because they're acting like a complete asshole and haven't done anything to earn that respect.

  3. #143
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvidius View Post
    Just to clarify, is the word nigger?
    No, it's a different N-word. It's not nigger. I didn't actually say 'nigger', so I can still vote never.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #144
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    if african-american isn't appropriate because "brown people" (which is actually what Indian Americans refer to themselves as for the record) haven't been to Africa, black isn't an appropriate name either since no one is actually black. and calling yourself white is just as inappropriate as calling yourself scottish-american because you're not actually white. every racial label is a misnomer.
    African has nothing to do with race. It's as though I call myself European-American.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #145
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    African has nothing to do with race. It's as though I call myself European-American.


    Barack Obama's short-form disagrees
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  6. #146
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    if african-american isn't appropriate because "brown people" (which is actually what Indian Americans refer to themselves as for the record) haven't been to Africa, black isn't an appropriate name either since no one is actually black. and calling yourself white is just as inappropriate as calling yourself scottish-american because you're not actually white. every racial label is a misnomer.
    I think most people use the terms Black White, Brown, Yellow, Red because in the course of our lives at some time or another while filling out some useless document for some government purpose these where the boxes that had to be checked, so most people just picked up on the term, nothing racial about it at all.

  7. #147
    Professor
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-11 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,784
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Hold the phone. No..................I never say 'n****r'. That's reserved for people who really hate Black folks. 'Ni**a' is the colloquial (sp) form, which is kinda/sorta/maybe/probably not/ dunno more acceptable, and used in a humorous, non-offensive way. I don't actually say it aloud, but to myself a lot. For example, when running in the heat, tired and wimping-out, I'll tell myself, "Don't quit, N***a."
    Last edited by ElCid; 06-21-11 at 12:11 AM.
    NOTICE: I am not a troll, because what I write I believe, and I have no intention of derailing threads or manipulating human nature. I am not a terrorist, because I do not endorse the killing of innocent people, and I am not here to promote violence. I AM HERE ONLY TO EXPRESS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND ENJOY LIVELY DISCUSSION.

  8. #148
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    I think most people use the terms Black White, Brown, Yellow, Red because in the course of our lives at some time or another while filling out some useless document for some government purpose these where the boxes that had to be checked, so most people just picked up on the term, nothing racial about it at all.
    PS. Under the true spirit of what this country was founded for and the document we are suppose to be living by, categorizing people by race,sex ,religion or creed wouldn't be necessary and wouldn't be applied or required in the daily course of our lives. There are those in the past present and probably the future that will keep these requirements alive and well for the sake of obtaining power to divide.

  9. #149
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by Minnie T. Mouse View Post
    Sorry, Don't matter how you say it or who say it...
    If a word is truly offensive then no one should say it. But then again its the context of the word that matters. If someone insulted you would it make you feel any less insulted if they did not use any fowl language?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #150
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    If a word is truly offensive then no one should say it. But then again its the context of the word that matters. If someone insulted you would it make you feel any less insulted if they did not use any fowl language?
    You make a good point James.

Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •