View Poll Results: See OP

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I say it often; and I mean it.

    3 4.11%
  • I say it sometimes; and I mean it

    2 2.74%
  • I say in infrequently; and I mean it

    12 16.44%
  • I say it often; but in a joking manner

    2 2.74%
  • I say it sometimes; but in a joking manner

    5 6.85%
  • I say it infrequently; but in a joking manner

    13 17.81%
  • It spontaneous/ Never know when I may say it

    0 0%
  • I never say it

    36 49.32%
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 402

Thread: The Tabooed N-Word

  1. #91
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by Juiposa View Post
    Do you say, or can you say it, if so how frequently, and in what manner?
    I say the word nigger infrequently and in a jokingly manner. I might say the word nigger if I am talking about the word nigger, telling a joke with the word nigger in it or repeat a phrase with the word nigger in it from a tv show or movie I heard it in. But I do not use the word nigger as a racial slur at black people or refer to black people as niggers.Nor have I called anyone in a positive context a nigger, nigga or some other form of the word nigger.


    The reason I say nigger instead of the n-word because its childish. Its like when a little kid tells their parents mommy Timmy called me the B-word or Suzie said the F-word or Billy said the C or A-word. We are adults we should not be afraid to say a little word. Many black people use the word nigger/nigga all the time and if the word nigger was really all that horrible then themselves wouldn't say it. Its moronic to say its alright for one race to use a word in any manner they so choose but its not okay for another race to use that same word even in a positive or friendly context.

    I am sure some little girl or castrated male will get their panties in a bunch because I said the word nigger. Its not the word itself that matters but the context being used that matters.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 06-20-11 at 12:46 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #92
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The reason I say nigger instead of the n-word because its childish. Its like when a little kid tells their parents mommy Timmy called me the B-word or Suzie said the F-word or Billy said the C or A-word. We are adults we should not be afraid to say a little word.
    Agreement!! Much agreement. Childish is exactly the right word to describe this. To talk about something, and to be afraid to say what that something is... If you mean ****, SAY ****. Hiding behind silly words that sound like the one you mean is cowardly.

    Many black people use the word nigger/nigga all the time and if the word nigger was really all that horrible then themselves wouldn't say it. Its moronic to say its alright for one race to use a word in any manner they so choose but its not okay for another race to use that same word even in a none negative context.
    This one I disagree with. I think we need to recognize that it isn't just the word that's harmful, it's all of the history and context around it. The word was used by white people to degrade black people. It's only really harmful or offensive in a white to black context. That's why when blacks use it towards each other, it doesn't mean the same thing. Now, theoretically, a white person could say it towards a black person and not mean it in a racist way... but then why choose that word?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #93
    Advisor DontDoIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois, Land of Liberals
    Last Seen
    11-22-15 @ 12:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    391

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by Helvidius View Post
    Just to clarify, is the word nigger?
    Well this narrows my options a little for what you possibly voted.
    "It is a sad day in society when people adjust the facts to fit their beliefs, rather than adjust their beliefs to fit the facts."
    Libertarian/Conservative/Christian Beliefs

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,422
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I'm young but I don't recall when the word "Negro" was ever considered an offensive term.
    I think its because its the "root" of the slang term in question.

    My maternal grandmother, rest her soul, was tbe sweetest woman you ever met, and horridly racist. I think it was because she was a housekeeper in the south during the depression, and at that time that was a black persons job, so she overcompensated.

    The vitriol with which she said the word "nigra" was simply chilling.

    Personally, the word is hurtful to some, so I refrain from using it for the most part. If I'm singing some song with the word ("ah" version not "er") I don't edit it, but I don't say it with extra glee either.

    And I've used the "familiar" "ah" version in mixed company when it was too perfect to pass up and the company knew me well enough to not be offended. But only as a turn of phrase, "n**** please", for instance.

    As far as the discussion in general, if the black community finds the word offensive then don't use it. The whole idea that a word can be reserved to one race is extremely racist, IMHO.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  5. #95
    User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Paris, France
    Last Seen
    06-20-11 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    107

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I think its because its the "root" of the slang term in question.

    My maternal grandmother, rest her soul, was tbe sweetest woman you ever met, and horridly racist. I think it was because she was a housekeeper in the south during the depression, and at that time that was a black persons job, so she overcompensated.

    The vitriol with which she said the word "nigra" was simply chilling.

    Personally, the word is hurtful to some, so I refrain from using it for the most part. If I'm singing some song with the word ("ah" version not "er") I don't edit it, but I don't say it with extra glee either.

    And I've used the "familiar" "ah" version in mixed company when it was too perfect to pass up and the company knew me well enough to not be offended. But only as a turn of phrase, "n**** please", for instance.

    As far as the discussion in general, if the black community finds the word offensive then don't use it. The whole idea that a word can be reserved to one race is extremely racist, IMHO.
    Yes I do agree that if the Blacks or Afro- American Community finds the N word so offensive Then they should stop glorifying it in Popular Music and all Art Forms.... This is a sure form of another kind of racist attitude to reserve the N word for Blacks Only !!!! The only way the N word will disappear from the Mouths of the People and Cultural Platform is every person regardless of what race he or she might be is to: Wake UP, Sit Up and Stop Now !!!

  6. #96
    User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Paris, France
    Last Seen
    06-20-11 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    107

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Agreement!! Much agreement. Childish is exactly the right word to describe this. To talk about something, and to be afraid to say what that something is... If you mean ****, SAY ****. Hiding behind silly words that sound like the one you mean is cowardly.



    This one I disagree with. I think we need to recognize that it isn't just the word that's harmful, it's all of the history and context around it. The word was used by white people to degrade black people. It's only really harmful or offensive in a white to black context. That's why when blacks use it towards each other, it doesn't mean the same thing. Now, theoretically, a white person could say it towards a black person and not mean it in a racist way... but then why choose that word?
    Why are people acting so ignorant and like they don,t Realize that any deliberate disrespect toward another Human Being is not only hurtful but a down-right show of ignorance and stupidity on the part of the person who practice this kind of behavior in Public or in Private...

  7. #97
    User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Paris, France
    Last Seen
    06-20-11 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    107

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I say the word nigger infrequently and in a jokingly manner. I might say the word nigger if I am talking about the word nigger, telling a joke with the word nigger in it or repeat a phrase with the word nigger in it from a tv show or movie I heard it in. But I do not use the word nigger as a racial slur at black people or refer to black people as niggers.Nor have I called anyone in a positive context a nigger, nigga or some other form of the word nigger.


    The reason I say nigger instead of the n-word because its childish. Its like when a little kid tells their parents mommy Timmy called me the B-word or Suzie said the F-word or Billy said the C or A-word. We are adults we should not be afraid to say a little word. Many black people use the word nigger/nigga all the time and if the word nigger was really all that horrible then themselves wouldn't say it. Its moronic to say its alright for one race to use a word in any manner they so choose but its not okay for another race to use that same word even in a positive or friendly context.

    I am sure some little girl or castrated male will get their panties in a bunch because I said the word nigger. Its not the word itself that matters but the context being used that matters.
    Sorry, Don't matter how you say it or who say it... It is the word of Fools In Paridise and that is why Ignorance Is Bliss.... It is amazing how a Nation can exist and survive when so many of it's People or so full of ignorance and self-hatred on both sides of the fence !!!! PERIOD .....

  8. #98
    Professor
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-11 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,784
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    Where I work, I hear it at least once a minute, all day.
    NOTICE: I am not a troll, because what I write I believe, and I have no intention of derailing threads or manipulating human nature. I am not a terrorist, because I do not endorse the killing of innocent people, and I am not here to promote violence. I AM HERE ONLY TO EXPRESS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND ENJOY LIVELY DISCUSSION.

  9. #99
    Guru
    JohnWOlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    I hear a lot of people reuse the word nigger to mean just in general trashy or unkempt people, a phenomenon that typically only happens south of the Ohio River. I use the word nigga a lot typically in these ways:

    "Nigga you gay"
    "Get out my way nigga I got crack to sell!"
    "Nigga whaaaaaat?"
    "**** yo couch nigga"

    I use it pretty often around people that are comfortable with it.
    "We’re going to close the unproductive tax loopholes that allow some of the truly wealthy to avoid paying their fair share. In theory, some of those loopholes were understandable, but in practice they sometimes made it possible for millionaires to pay nothing, while a bus driver was paying ten percent of his salary, and that’s crazy." -Reagan

  10. #100
    Distributist
    Jeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: The Tabooed N-Word

    This thread is for niggers.
    SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie
    Thanks for your awesomeness, Jeezy.

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •