View Poll Results: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    61 54.46%
  • Yes, but with provisions to protect rights of non-English speakers

    17 15.18%
  • No

    31 27.68%
  • Unsure/Undecided

    3 2.68%
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 272

Thread: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    I believe that the USA should fully-fund learning centers throughout the country for both adult and child English courses.
    Why? Why not just make it a condition of emigration? If you want to come here be able to pass a basic American-English proficiency test.

    And for good measure let's add the same test to our welfare rolls. If you want the taxpayer to provide you with goodies show that you can read and write American-English.

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    55

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    No. Just because you don't speak English doesn't mean you aren't an American. This will never happen anyway.

    I speak Portuguese but I was born in America.

  3. #163
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,800

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Why? Why not just make it a condition of emigration? If you want to come here be able to pass a basic American-English proficiency test.

    And for good measure let's add the same test to our welfare rolls. If you want the taxpayer to provide you with goodies show that you can read and write American-English.
    And corporate welfare, if your corporation is going to receive federal government money or tax exemptions ALL your employees had better goddam well speak English proficiently.

    I would include churches as well. If a church wants and expects to receive state and federal tax blessings then its members had better be able to speak English. No excuses!










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #164
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Why? Why not just make it a condition of emigration? If you want to come here be able to pass a basic American-English proficiency test.

    And for good measure let's add the same test to our welfare rolls. If you want the taxpayer to provide you with goodies show that you can read and write American-English.
    Does this mean we can kick out people who don't understand English? That's more then a few users on this site who fail to grasp even a basic level of English Comprehension.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    ...and we've always had second-generation immigrants fully assimilate into American culture and speak English. This has been the case for over 200 years. So what exactly has changed that has you so worried?
    But not any more. Second generation Mexicans speak Spanish. This is the beginning of the end of the nation.

    So we decide that we want everyone to speak a common language in official business. Anyone can still speak privately in whatever language they choose. But public documents, voting, courts, all government associated acts and services should be in that common language.

    Webster created a dictionary so that we could have a common understanding of the words each of us spoke with others. It was to prevent us from fracturing and become a handful of small, warring nations. I think he had the right idea.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by ManofthPeephole View Post
    I spent about 16 months bicycling cross-country in India, and can assure you, outside of the major cities, and tourist areas, it is very rare to find someone who speaks English,
    LOL. Maybe that is because all of the call centers and technical support centers have moved to Pakistan!

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Oh, and I guess Native Americans never went to war with EACH OTHER? Right.
    But for them it was okay. They only warred with each other for slaves and women. Everyone know those are acceptable reasons.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Use ridiculous examples that don't make up even 1% of the country's population to attack 10% of the population. How right wing of you.
    LOL. Up until this point I had not realized this was right versus left. I suppose I was wrong. Fortunately, I don't need to flip my vote. It is a good idea if we want to preserve this nation.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Does this mean we can kick out people who don't understand English? That's more then a few users on this site who fail to grasp even a basic level of English Comprehension.
    Sometimes this sounds good to me. You propose it. I will support you!

  10. #170
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Should English be declared the official language of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    You realize that every time some crybaby from the boo hoo sniff snif waa evil Europeans stole our ancestors land group tries to make the argument about how European settlers did not speak common language of the land, did not assimilate and that there was no immigration control does not make a good guilt trip argument against making English the official language, against cracking down on illegal immigration or against requiring immigrants to assimilate. The only thing your argument does is say look what happened to my/our(some of us have ancestors who were native Americans) ancestors, they were ****ed in ass with a very splintery 2x4 because they did nothing to control immigration or require that new settlers didn't assimilate. Its like trying to using the fact your neighbors house with the crappy locks and no security system got robbed to endorse the fact that you do not need to replace your own crappy locks or to get a security system.

    Actually, from my studies, that is exactly why the Native Indian tribes were utterly defeated: The European settlers out-immigrated and out-bred them, largely because one Cherokee living by traditional hunter-gatherer methods needed eight square miles of good land... and that same 8sq mi of good land could support thousands of settlers using European farming methods. Moreso even than technology or firearms, that did the tribes in.

    And it is a good lesson for America today... let an "alien" people who don't want to assimilate in langage, culture, norms or practices gain a large foothold and outbreed you, and you may soon find yourself a marginalized minority in your own nation.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •