View Poll Results: Is abortion wrong?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    27 40.30%
  • No

    37 55.22%
  • Unsure

    3 4.48%
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
Results 281 to 290 of 290

Thread: Is Abortion wrong?

  1. #281
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,528

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Anybody want to flip a coin on whether or not abortion is wrong?

  2. #282
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Don't you? I bet your position on cockfighting is more restrictive than mine.
    This thread is about abortion.....not sexual preference....just saying.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #283
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by NGNM85 View Post
    Again, you have to provide a cogent scientific definition of the sufficient conditions for a human being that would justify this contention. You can try, by all means, best of luck, but I'll tell you right now, it's impossible.

    You should be aware that 86% of abortions are performed before the fetal stage.

    The comparison with the coma is completely inaccurate. The coma guy, especially if it's just a temporary situation, he isn't permenently in a vegetative state, is still a living human being, he's just temporarily out of touch. The human embryo, in most cases, even into the fetal stage, still doesn't yet meet the sufficient conditions of a human being, and never has. Admittedly, eventually, the fetus does meet these conditions. However, fetuses at this late stage are almost never aborted without a medical necessity. It's less than 4%. Though, if it makes you feel any better, regarding that less-than-4%, I would say that the fetus should simply be removed as it has an upwards of 90% chance of survival on it's own, anyhow.
    I'm a molecular biologist. Scientifically, the zygote has a unique human genome that does not belong to the mother. It's not part of the mothers body and though not viable outside of the womb, is an individual human life that is not the life of the mother. The zygote, fetus, and adult are all living human organisms, the only difference is their stages of life and development. You argue as if the zygote/fetus isn't a human life. Scientifically it is a human life. Ethically abortion is the killing of an individual human life and should not be tolerated under the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Like I said we will always disagree because I see no logic to consider unvailble cells life or getting rid of them murder or killing.

    and I certainly will never see logic in making those unvailble cells more important than the viable mother or ever FORCING her to carry a child that to me never adds up.

    Your morals are represented because YOU arent forced to have an abortion, my morals are also represented because you dont get to force yours on me.

    Right now unfortunatley for you IMO the law is perfect and very american.
    YOU dont have to have an abortion if you dont want to and others can because they arent forced to live by YOUR morals.
    A person who is dependent upon medication to survive is also a clump of unviable cells. I support the rights of mothers, but that ends when they want their rights to extend upon the lives of others and the choice to electively end another human life. I believe human life is equal. The fetus is a human life just like the mothers. I don't think she should have special rights that legally extend upon another human life and gives her the power to electively chose whether it lives or dies. It's not that I think the fetus is more important than the mother, it's that I believe the mothers rights shouldn't infringe upon the life of another human.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Do you believe that one group of people should be able to force their morality on another group of people?
    Absolutely, you do too. The laws are essentially forcing morality upon everyone who is under them.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #284
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,817

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    A person who is dependent upon medication to survive is also a clump of unviable cells. I support the rights of mothers, but that ends when they want their rights to extend upon the lives of others and the choice to electively end another human life. I believe human life is equal. The fetus is a human life just like the mothers. I don't think she should have special rights that legally extend upon another human life and gives her the power to electively chose whether it lives or dies. It's not that I think the fetus is more important than the mother, it's that I believe the mothers rights shouldn't infringe upon the life of another human.

    .
    "A person who is dependent upon medication to survive is also a clump of nonviable cells"
    are you talking a person who is a vegetable and also needs machines to servive? then yes
    if you are talking about a conscious person who just needs meds then no

    also this is where we will never agree those "lives" will NEVER be equal IMO because one is viable and one is not. One NEEDS the other to even get viable and one doesnt, One live will be held hostage for at least 9 months and one will not. and no im not saying being pregnant is being a hostage IF you want it but if you dont it is force and is being held hostage.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    "A person who is dependent upon medication to survive is also a clump of nonviable cells"
    are you talking a person who is a vegetable and also needs machines to servive? then yes
    if you are talking about a conscious person who just needs meds then no

    also this is where we will never agree those "lives" will NEVER be equal IMO because one is viable and one is not. One NEEDS the other to even get viable and one doesnt, One live will be held hostage for at least 9 months and one will not. and no im not saying being pregnant is being a hostage IF you want it but if you dont it is force and is being held hostage.
    I did refer to my daughter in the last week in utero as "the little parasite". Yes, end-term pregnancy is a great deal like being held hostage, even if one wants to be a mom with every fiber of her being.

  6. #286
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    I did refer to my daughter in the last week in utero as "the little parasite". Yes, end-term pregnancy is a great deal like being held hostage, even if one wants to be a mom with every fiber of her being.
    Would you say your emotions behind the comment reflected that meaning...or perhaps was it just that you were exhausted with the pregnancy and ready for it to be over?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Would you say your emotions behind the comment reflected that meaning...or perhaps was it just that you were exhausted with the pregnancy and ready for it to be over?
    Mac, I know you've lived with a nine-month pregnant female. What do YOU think.

  8. #288
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Mac, I know you've lived with a nine-month pregnant female. What do YOU think.
    That's why I asked.....
    I'm living with a 5 month pregnant woman right now. Somebody told me it gets better every time. I'm here to tell you that's a bald faced lie.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That's why I asked.....
    I'm living with a 5 month pregnant woman right now. Somebody told me it gets better every time. I'm here to tell you that's a bald faced lie.
    Congratulations!!

    Oh, and to answer your question; yes. I just wanted to be able to sleep on my stomach. I was done with being literally "out to there."

  10. #290
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I'm a molecular biologist. Scientifically, the zygote has a unique human genome that does not belong to the mother. It's not part of the mothers body and though not viable outside of the womb, is an individual human life that is not the life of the mother. The zygote, fetus, and adult are all living human organisms, the only difference is their stages of life and development. You argue as if the zygote/fetus isn't a human life. Scientifically it is a human life. Ethically abortion is the killing of an individual human life and should not be tolerated under the law.

    A person who is dependent upon medication to survive is also a clump of unviable cells. I support the rights of mothers, but that ends when they want their rights to extend upon the lives of others and the choice to electively end another human life. I believe human life is equal. The fetus is a human life just like the mothers. I don't think she should have special rights that legally extend upon another human life and gives her the power to electively chose whether it lives or dies. It's not that I think the fetus is more important than the mother, it's that I believe the mothers rights shouldn't infringe upon the life of another human.
    I think that most people acknowledge that a ZEF is human life. However, being human doesn't automatically bestow personhood.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Absolutely, you do too. The laws are essentially forcing morality upon everyone who is under them.
    Not really. I believe in the bare essentials: no murder, no robbery, etc. This has nothing to do with forcing morality on anyone as much as it prevents societal collapse. If everyone went around killing people, we couldn't exactly have a society. However, I think people should be free to do practically anything else. At heart, I am an anarchist, and view government and law enforcement as a "necessary evil."
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •