View Poll Results: Is abortion wrong?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    27 40.30%
  • No

    37 55.22%
  • Unsure

    3 4.48%
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 290

Thread: Is Abortion wrong?

  1. #251
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Do you believe life begins at conception? Or at any point early in pregnancy?

    If the answer is yes, then you most assuredly do believe in "magic essence" as personhood. whether you choose to call it that or not. If no, then you don't. But there is also then no argument for being against abortion.
    Oh please...That is just an absurd argument.

  2. #252
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Yes, society. And thankfully, this society still values at least a modicum of privacy and personal liberty. Also, twins do not compare to ZEFs.
    So society is right because its society? That isn't a very good argument.

  3. #253
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Oh please...That is just an absurd argument.
    No, it isn't. It is a basless belief with no evidence to support it, and lots of evidence to the contrary. You believe, for reasons you can neither explain nor support, that personhood is somehow endowed upon a bunch of cells that aren't even differentiated, let alone assimilated into anything. What else do you call that besides "magic?"
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-21-11 at 11:10 PM.

  4. #254
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So society is right because its society? That isn't a very good argument.
    Who is "right"? Morality is subjective unless there is some sort of Universal Standard of morality-and there isn't.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    No, it isn't. It is a basless belief with no evidence to support it, and lots of evidence to the contrary. You belief, for reasons you can neither explain nor support, that personhood is somehow endowed upon a bunch of cells that aren't even diffrentiated, let alone assimilated into anything. What else do you call that besides "magic?"
    They aren't assimilated into anything? Lol. Talk about no proof for your position. I have supported my claim several times and without rebuttal. Read my other abortion posts and you will see those cases.

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Who is "right"? Morality is subjective unless there is some sort of Universal Standard of morality-and there isn't.

    Morality is always subjective. What is and what is not is not subjective.

  7. #257
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I won't claim to know that this is what he's saying, but as I understand it, and as I personally think of it, it comes down to this:

    Whether the person is religious in a larger sense doesn't change that the only argument against abortion is "magical essence," as he puts it. Such beliefs are not limited to any particular dogma. Hell, I know one or two atheists who believe in "human by magical essence." Atheism only has to do with deities - any other supernatural stuff is still fair game. Hell, a straight-up Buddhist is an atheist, but they still believe in reincarnation.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    I think it may be incorrect to call this a religious belief, since it isn't limited to religion. But it is most certainly an irrational and unsubstantiated belief that comes from a place of superstitious and magical thinking, like religion does.
    How do we define 'religion'? I would even go so far as to say Leninism, or National Socialism, while they don't have a cosmology, per se, are virtually identical to religion by every other metric. I characterize this belief as 'religious' because it is supernatural, and it has it's roots in religious dogma, it's usually a package deal.

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    As far as I can tell, this is the main argument against abortion. It is based on a supernatural claim that is without foundation, and is in fact verifiability wrong.
    Yup.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  8. #258
    Professor
    NGNM85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Last Seen
    11-10-17 @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    1,571

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Morality is always subjective. What is and what is not is not subjective.
    I disagree. For rational people; 'right' and 'wrong' are, essentially aessments about the well-being of homo sapiens. That isn't theoretical, nor is it subjective.

    I'd still love to hear how you can conclude that a zygote 'is', or 'is' equivalent to, a human being like us, without invoking the supernatural. This contention is scientifically indefensible.
    Economic Left/Right: -7.25, Authoritarian/Libertarian:-7.13
    All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system, there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless, that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to consume. -Noam Chomsky

  9. #259
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Morality is always subjective. What is and what is not is not subjective.
    Semantics. We're discussing abortion, and your basic claim is that abortion is immoral. Back up your claim.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #260
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    They aren't assimilated into anything? Lol. Talk about no proof for your position. I have supported my claim several times and without rebuttal. Read my other abortion posts and you will see those cases.
    Your statement merely shows that you have no understanding of how reproduction works. Cells must diffrentiate to perform the functions of a complex mammal. Liver cells, brain cells, etc. They start off in a non-diffrentiated state. Actually, they start off merely being sex cells with incomplete DNA. So yes, you are saying that a bunch of functionless cells that don't even have a completed gene sequence is a human being. Magic.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •