View Poll Results: Is abortion wrong?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    27 40.30%
  • No

    37 55.22%
  • Unsure

    3 4.48%
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 290

Thread: Is Abortion wrong?

  1. #181
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,215

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The computer argument fails. It needs you to go out and buy all those parts, put them all in, install a bunch of software to talk to it, and finally have a user to use all those parts as one. It just doesn't work without those parts, as the function of the parts are needed to be to move from being a collection of parts to a entire computer. A fetus is functioning at it current stage and is working towards another stage of function in the process. Its a totally different thing that you are trying to make the same, when it clearly is not.
    Uh, what do you think pregnancy is?

    What, you think babies just poof into existence? You think a couple cells get together and say "ok, now we just have to get bigger"? No. The woman's body sets up a "feeding" system to provide energy for the work HER body puts in to developing the fetus, which is largely directed by her hormonal and nutritional influence. Even the DNA to create the fetus would not exist in full if not for her.

    There is nothing original about a fetus' development. It is all guided by the influence of the parents' DNA and the woman's body. It requires a builder, and a provider of tools.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-21-11 at 06:52 AM.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Uh, what do you think pregnancy is?

    What, you think babies just poof into existence? You think a couple cells get together and say "ok, now we just have to get bigger"? No. The woman's body sets up a "feeding" system to provide energy for the work HER body puts in to developing the fetus, which is largely directed by her hormonal and nutritional influence. Even the DNA to create the fetus would not exist in full if not for her.

    There is nothing original about a fetus' development. It is all guided by the influence of the parents' DNA and the woman's body. It requires a builder, and a provider of tools.
    Not my argument, but cute. My argument is simple, and very basic. I imagine you are understanding exactly what I said, but please yourself by missing it for debating purposes. Lets say it again, the baby is functioning while it is working to a higher function. Are you part of this? Yes and no. While it is true that without you the baby would die, and its true that without you it wouldn't exist, its not true that you are actively involved in baby developing from one functional order to another. The difference in the example is pretty glaring to me.

  3. #183
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,215

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Not my argument, but cute. My argument is simple, and very basic. I imagine you are understanding exactly what I said, but please yourself by missing it for debating purposes. Lets say it again, the baby is functioning while it is working to a higher function. Are you part of this? Yes and no. While it is true that without you the baby would die, and its true that without you it wouldn't exist, its not true that you are actively involved in baby developing from one functional order to another. The difference in the example is pretty glaring to me.
    You are defining "actively" as "consciously." You're wrong. This is where your argument falls apart.

    The fact that the body has a system for this doesn't mean the woman isn't directly guiding it. The fact that she doesn't have to think about it doesn't change that.

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    You are defining "actively" as "consciously." You're wrong. This is where your argument falls apart.

    The fact that the body has a system for this doesn't mean the woman isn't directly guiding it. The fact that she doesn't have to think about it doesn't change that.
    Who said anything about consciousness? Its doing it on its own using the energy provided by the woman and the environment of the woman to do what said. It doesn't need to be conscious to do any of this.
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-21-11 at 07:15 AM.

  5. #185
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,215

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Who said anything about consciousness? Its doing it on its own using the energy provided by the woman and the environment of the woman to do what said. It doesn't need to be conscious to do any of this.
    You are implying an action needs to be conscious in order to be performed.

    Do you think about breathing? Probably not. Does this mean you aren't controlling your breathing? No. You obviously are - you just have an unconscious system for it.

    Likewise, fetal development is impossible without A. A pre-provided blue print (DNA), B. A regulatory body (the woman), and C. Specific influences and actions at specific times (mostly hormones of the woman). In other words, a builder.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-21-11 at 07:24 AM.

  6. #186
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,671

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    P.S. You've also just admitted a fetus isn't a human.
    Oh please. Don't get pissy when someone lowers themself to a lame analogy in attempt to help.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    You are implying an action needs to be conscious in order to be performed.

    Do you think about breathing? Probably not. Does this mean you aren't controlling your breathing? No. You obviously are - you just have an unconscious system for it.
    When I say that I'm not doing something and I explain how I'm not why do you continue to come at me as if I am?

    Likewise, fetal development is impossible without A. A pre-provided blue print (DNA), B. A regulatory body (the woman), and C. Specific influences and actions at specific time (mostly hormones of the woman). In other words, a builder.
    I never said even once that the woman wasn't important. I even made it point to say she was. If you aren't following me, tell me that, and stop pretending like you are following along.

  8. #188
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,215

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Oh please. Don't get pissy when someone lowers themself to a lame analogy in attempt to help.
    Pissy? I think you're projecting.

    And I wouldn't need to if anti-choicers wouldn't deny the simply realities of biology.

  9. #189
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    01-19-18 @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,215

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    When I say that I'm not doing something and I explain how I'm not why do you continue to come at me as if I am?

    I never said even once that the woman wasn't important. I even made it point to say she was. If you aren't following me, tell me that, and stop pretending like you are following along.
    The fetus has no parts of its own at all. All of them are built according to the blue-print which is pre-provided. The fetus is not functioning at anything - at least not at the age when elective abortions occur. It is more of a function of the woman, than an indepedent entity.

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is Abortion wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    The fetus has no parts of its own at all. All of them are built according to the blue-print which is pre-provided. The fetus is not functioning at anything - at least not at the age when elective abortions occur. It is more of a function of the woman, than an indepedent entity.
    So the fetus doesn't have any parts of its own?
    Why does it matter if its using a blue-print?
    Why isn't it functioning? ...functioning doesn't mean it has to do it on its own..

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •