View Poll Results: Which of these best describes you?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Religious and Liberal

    3 6.98%
  • Nonreligious and Liberal

    7 16.28%
  • Religious and Conservative

    8 18.60%
  • Nonreligious and Conservative

    5 11.63%
  • Religious and Independent

    5 11.63%
  • Nonreligious and Indepedent

    10 23.26%
  • Other

    5 11.63%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76

Thread: Religion in Politics

  1. #41
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,797

    Re: Religion in Politics

    I like all Americans IMO should always vote for whats right for AMERICA in respect to the constitution, Bill of rights, equality, freedoms and liberties. ALWAYS, if I find that I can not do this then I simply will not vote because in AMERICA its not my place to go against something that is in line with the aforementioned based on my own selfish beliefs.

    Now of course the tricky part is what I think is right for america with respect to the constitution, Bill of rights, equality, freedoms and liberties may not be what you do and that is fine but it shouldnt be polutted by religion if it goes against the things mentioned above.

    My religion and my beliefs for my own flock play little to no role in how I vote or how I look at politics, nor should it.

    Im thankful that I live in a country where I have the RIGHT to believe in the religion of my choice and can do so freely. Ill never take that for granted nor be pompous enough to force or vote my views on others if they are based on MY religion alone. IMO I think its insanely hypocritical to do so and could never conduct myself that way.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Religion in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I do not believe religion and politics have any business being mixed, yet during political debates (especially within the GOP), it seems that questions concerning religious faith (Christianity) are constantly brought up. What does the belief in Jesus, Muhammad, Zeus, Dionysus, Osiris, or any other theological being have to do with politics?

    Is there an issue when such a large part of the voting block is devoutly religious and votes based off of their beliefs?
    It has to do with voting blocks and convincing people with varying political views to put you into office.

    It does not have to do with objective truth or proper policy. It's the high-school social cliqu game, a popularity contest where most of the time it actually does come down to height and hair.

    Regarding the poll, I'm religious and conservative, but as social issues don't mean very much to me, my religion doesn't play big roll in what I actually attend protests for and donate money to.

    I'm very pro-2nd amendment, for example. Religion doesn't play a part anywhere in my position.

    Social issues like SSM and abortion are just fun to debate here because you all get so bent out of shape over issues which will likely never impact your life. I enjoy yank'n your chain.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-15-11 at 01:33 PM.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    08-02-11 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    426

    Re: Religion in Politics

    Religion is something you decide to believe in or you grew up with for your own reasons. Religion and politics. The ONLY reason religion and politics have ever merged is because rulers have realized it's far better to control a people through their faith than physical submission.

    Republican...Democrat, I believe all politicians are fairly educated people and being where they are, I am willing to bet that for whatever they say or do, most of them roll their eyes like us when they have to go to church.

  4. #44
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,371

    Re: Religion in Politics

    Religion is not required for morals and ethics. Personally (I'm nonreligious independent) and individually, religion cannot be separated from politics; the personal is political. Everything is political. In government, we can and must separate them; our (moral) laws must be founded in reason and implemented likewise.


    I think the poll looks about right.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 06-15-11 at 01:49 PM.

  5. #45
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,500

    Re: Religion in Politics

    Even in light of all the reasons voiced in the Federalist Papers by the Framers regarding religion and state, I still see another consideration. Kids go to school about 6 hours a day (some more). That leaves about 16 to 18 hours left in a day in which some part of it could be devote to teaching kids about faith or the related...outside of the school system. There are two days in a weekend that are possibly open to teach children religious dogma.

    That said:

    Our school systems today have enough on their plate trying to instill reading, writing, and math. And if kids are lucky that get some physical ed, art, and music.

    To impose on the education systems requirements to teach or create multiple time schedules to provide various religious related courses would, in my opinion, be too burdensome on the system an denying children very important educational necessities to navigate the demands of life after their departure from the academic environment.

    You can bet that all religious denominations will expect equal time and privileges in all academic levels in public schools.

  6. #46
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Religion in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Be advised: YOU ARE NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT. You're supposed to say, "I only believe in whatever makes me popular with the nearest street-mob. I wanna be kewl."
    Why should I concern myself with the political opinions of vermin? The only people whose thoughts concern me are those who think for themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It depends on what you mean by that. Certainly there are certain common morals and such throughout a society that can be adhered to. However, if you start talking about enforcing your particular flavor of religious doctrine through law and at the expense of the rights and liberties of others, then you are in the wrong.
    I'm not interested in religious doctrine. Your relationship with the gods does not concern me. But morality does concern me, and if the law prevents people from doing good or rewards them for doing evil, I will seek to change it.
    Last edited by Korimyr the Rat; 06-15-11 at 02:09 PM.

  7. #47
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Religion in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I do not believe religion and politics have any business being mixed, yet during political debates (especially within the GOP), it seems that questions concerning religious faith (Christianity) are constantly brought up. What does the belief in Jesus, Muhammad, Zeus, Dionysus, Osiris, or any other theological being have to do with politics?

    Is there an issue when such a large part of the voting block is devoutly religious and votes based off of their beliefs?
    I am conservative and semi-religious. Do I vote base on my religious beliefs? Sort of. Some of my political views line up with some of my religious views, but not because God or the bible says so. For example I am against abortion because I believe the baby in the womb is actually a baby in the womb and therefore deserves the same legal protections as you or I. I had this view long before I was religions.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #48
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Religion in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    I'm not interested in religious doctrine. Your relationship with the gods does not concern me. But morality does concern me, and if the law prevents people from doing good or rewards them for doing evil, I will seek to change it.
    The law needs to respect the rights and liberties of the individual, it is for that purpose we made government in the first place. If it cannot protect and proliferate our freedom, then there is no point in keeping it. Doing "good" is all well and fine (I suppose depending on one's defintion of "good"), but not at the cost of freedom. No one's religious beliefs entitle them to lord their ideals over others and retard them from their liberty and free exercise of rights.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #49
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Religion in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    No one's religious beliefs entitle them to lord their ideals over others and retard them from their liberty and free exercise of rights.
    My religious beliefs don't entitle me to anything. That's why I'm here.

    But you should note that your quasi-religious belief in liberty doesn't entitle you to anything, either; just because you say you have rights doesn't mean anyone has to respect them.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Religion in Politics

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    My religious beliefs don't entitle me to anything. That's why I'm here.

    But you should note that your quasi-religious belief in liberty doesn't entitle you to anything, either; just because you say you have rights doesn't mean anyone has to respect them.
    The belief in upholding and proliferating liberty and freedom is one of the fundamentals for our government, however. Not theocracy. My point was that your religious beliefs have limits when talking about the use of them through law. You cannot infringe upon the rights of others. It's really nothing more than that.

    Your last statement, BTW, is why we have the 2nd amendment.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •