View Poll Results: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    24 66.67%
  • No

    12 33.33%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47

Thread: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

  1. #21
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,412

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Powerful people being crappy spouses is so common it's practically a rule. It's just a matter of whether or not we find out about it... there seems to be a correlation between being a crappy partner and being a great leader. I wouldn't wanna marry them, but hey, it's true.
    I don't agree with this. It reeks of class-warfare propaganda, with a dash of feminism to support the false ambiance.

    1. There are plenty of crappy partners in poor neighborhoods.

    2. Powerful leaders are more likely to have crappy behavior exposed than the crackhead on 110th St.

    3. Your personal interpretation (this is where a particular variety of feminism lends false ambiance). Like you, I see a marriage/union as a team of equals; however, I would like to note that if either member of the team chooses to take a subordinate role publically, for the good of the team's agenda, that does not mean we ought judge them as subordinate in the relationship.


    I agree that stepping-down is only required if a law was broken and I think the criminal act generally needs to be a felony; however, his lying all over the place could be a factor.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 06-14-11 at 07:59 AM.

  2. #22
    Professor
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-11 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,784
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    I say 'yes', only because he's a Democrat. I want to see ALL Democrats resign.
    NOTICE: I am not a troll, because what I write I believe, and I have no intention of derailing threads or manipulating human nature. I am not a terrorist, because I do not endorse the killing of innocent people, and I am not here to promote violence. I AM HERE ONLY TO EXPRESS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND ENJOY LIVELY DISCUSSION.

  3. #23
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    Honestly, I am torn. On one hand, what he did was just crazy and stupid and undercuts his effectiveness and makes me second guess his sincerity on a lot of fronts. On the other hand, he is very effective in the debate over finance and budget policy and a great advocate for that. Lastly, he will forever be the source of jokes and I would regret to give that up.

    So, I don't know.

    Ultimately, his behavior reeks of a lack of self control, especially given how he waffled over an explanation of what happened and is now in total CYA mode. I dislike this lack of integrity. But again, he is effective in pursuing sane economic policy.

    I am not sure if the good outweighs the bad or vise versa.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 06-14-11 at 09:40 AM.

  4. #24
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    In reality, his wife is the only person he really needs to answer to for this.

  5. #25
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    In reality, his wife is the only person he really needs to answer to for this.
    I disagree. People in public leadership and civil service positions need to represent the best of the community that they are answerable to. Now Weiner shouldn't be accountable to me, but that is because I am not in his district.

  6. #26
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    Absolutely, Weiner should resign. But I think he learned something from David Vitter here, so he is staying. LOL.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #27
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    I honestly don't care about the pictures or conversations (unless, of course, a minor was involved..then we have an issue). What I care about is his "leave of absense" to seek "treatment". If he isn't able to attend to his work in D.C., that's where the issue comes into play. If he can't perform his expected duties at a time like this, why is he staying in office?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,927

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Then why did he need to lie about it?
    If it aint a big deal, why bother?
    This here:

    Quote Originally Posted by Befuddled_Stoner View Post
    Because he's a freaking idiot, that's why. Instead of fessing up and cutting his losses, he tried to retain the family values voters that he never really had a chance of keeping anyway.

    Why bother? Because despite the fact the the country is turning to ****, there are still hoards of morons out there who think Weiner trying to **** random bimbos is more important than politicians who are trying to **** the American people.
    This is my opinion as well, except if he is found to have broken the law. Whatif... used the phrase "knee jerk". Exactly. It's what most human beings do first.

    As long as his constituents feel he can do the job, he should keep it.

  9. #29
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I disagree. People in public leadership and civil service positions need to represent the best of the community that they are answerable to. Now Weiner shouldn't be accountable to me, but that is because I am not in his district.
    Public leaders aren't supposed to represent the best of their community, they are supposed to represent the political views of their community.

    Whether or not the community wishes to continue to allow him represent their political views after the next election is up to them, and they will decide that via their votes.

    But this issue has nothing to do with his job, and the people chose to have him represent their views for a certain term of years. If he choses to resign, he backs out of the obligation he chose to accept when he was elected into his office.

    On top of that, if his constituents are unhappy with him over his private indiscretions, I say "tough titty". I think one of the biggest problems we have is that we do not elect good leaders, but instead we pick people we like the best based on qualities that have precicely jack squat to do with running a country. There are thousands, millions, of great husbands and wives in the world who would make terrible leaders. And there have been many great leaders that were horse**** husbands and wives.

    One really has nothing to do with the other.

  10. #30
    Professor
    ElCid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-11 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,784
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Should Anthony Weiner Resign?

    Clinton set a precedent. Public leaders are no longer accountable for what they do in their private lives. Also, sexual misconduct is now 'okay'. While I don't agree with that, that's the way the public feels. Maybe they're right. Dunno. Let it ride................
    NOTICE: I am not a troll, because what I write I believe, and I have no intention of derailing threads or manipulating human nature. I am not a terrorist, because I do not endorse the killing of innocent people, and I am not here to promote violence. I AM HERE ONLY TO EXPRESS MY PERSONAL OPINION AND ENJOY LIVELY DISCUSSION.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •