View Poll Results: are our politicians acting as if there is future?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Our future looks bright because of the actions our politicians are taking now.

    0 0%
  • They are doing well in building for the future.

    0 0%
  • They try their best and its pretty promising.

    1 7.14%
  • They try but they don't know what they are doing.

    5 35.71%
  • They don't know what they are doing, but at least they are trying.

    2 14.29%
  • I don't know.

    4 28.57%
  • They don't know.

    6 42.86%
  • They are preparing for a dim future.

    2 14.29%
  • They are preparing for a collapse.

    3 21.43%
  • They are taking desperate action now to save some capabiliies for an unavoidable collapse.

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

  1. #1
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    I am talking about all our politicians, in particular in the west...

    Do they appear to be taking actions that will benefit us in the long term, or even take any actions as if there will be a functioning society beyond the next 5-10 years? or do they seem more to avoid imminent collapse now while saving some functions from our society?

    looking at tthe actions that politicians are taking, you should have some impression if they are building/bracing for the future or just preparing for collapse?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  2. #2
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I am talking about all our politicians, in particular in the west...

    Do they appear to be taking actions that will benefit us in the long term, or even take any actions as if there will be a functioning society beyond the next 5-10 years? or do they seem more to avoid imminent collapse now while saving some functions from our society?

    looking at tthe actions that politicians are taking, you should have some impression if they are building/bracing for the future or just preparing for collapse?
    Right now, every person in this country, from rich to poor, is going "me! me! me! me!" and is less inclined to be willing to take actions that are for the greater good. Politicians, even if they wanted to, are unable to fight against this general attitude. Looking historically, such as in the fall of rome, it was this sort of attitude which began the decline as different factions in our society will not stand together and internal strife will make things worse.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 06-12-11 at 08:52 AM.

  3. #3
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Right now, every person in this country, from rich to poor, is going "me! me! me! me!" and is less inclined to be willing to take actions that are for the greater good. Politicians, even if they wanted to, are unable to fight against this general attitude. Looking historically, such as in the fall of rome, it was this sort of attitude which began the decline as different factions in our society will not stand together and internal strife will make things worse.
    This is very true, selfishness is now a dominant theme in our society. I personally stopped believing in the society for the individual a long time ago, I remember when I believed in that, I was young and selfish. I only acted in my own best interest.
    Whenever someone act only in their own best interest they are doomed to hurt others in the process, and this is for me what it boils down to, the unawareness of what consequences your actions has on others and even the lack of caring about the consequences if you happen to understand them.

    Be it the guy who don't stop his car for the woman with a child crossing the road, or be it the banker who makes his money by taking money from hundreds of middle class or poor individuals, then you are right indeed, we do live in a society of utter selfishness,

    I hate to say it again and again, but Europe is just the same, but not as much as the US. Perphaps there is some hope here? We are supposedly trying to look more at the interests of others in general as a society. This however is not reflected in daily life where people are completely unaware and selfish.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  4. #4
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    This is very true, selfishness is now a dominant theme in our society. I personally stopped believing in the society for the individual a long time ago, I remember when I believed in that, I was young and selfish. I only acted in my own best interest.
    Whenever someone act only in their own best interest they are doomed to hurt others in the process, and this is for me what it boils down to, the unawareness of what consequences your actions has on others and even the lack of caring about the consequences if you happen to understand them.
    It has gotten to the point where people argue that selfishness is a virtue and inescapable. Some people have an interesting belief system!

    However, in reality up is not down and war is not peace.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    Be it the guy who don't stop his car for the woman with a child crossing the road, or be it the banker who makes his money by taking money from hundreds of middle class or poor individuals, then you are right indeed, we do live in a society of utter selfishness,

    I hate to say it again and again, but Europe is just the same, but not as much as the US. Perphaps there is some hope here? We are supposedly trying to look more at the interests of others in general as a society. This however is not reflected in daily life where people are completely unaware and selfish.
    I don't know what the cure is. Even those who want to get back to the great olden days only have a distorted view of the past and ignore the prevalent belief in virtue that permeated the early American experience, only to focus on the parts they like.

    However, ultimately, we are stuck arguing over small things like budgets while ignoring this larger picture.

  5. #5
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    Ahhr, the big picture....

    the detail focus, the arguing..

    the lack of perspective...
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  6. #6
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Zeebra View Post
    I am talking about all our politicians, in particular in the west...

    Do they appear to be taking actions that will benefit us in the long term, or even take any actions as if there will be a functioning society beyond the next 5-10 years? or do they seem more to avoid imminent collapse now while saving some functions from our society?

    looking at tthe actions that politicians are taking, you should have some impression if they are building/bracing for the future or just preparing for collapse?
    I'm as cynical as they come. Preparing/building/bracing for the future of our country? No. The only thing our politicians are doing is preparing/building/bracing for their next election. Unfortunately, "Those who take from Peter to pay Paul will always have Paul's support."
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #7
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    Both sides of the aisle are pushing whats best for their base FOR VOTES and neither one will win. You cant have the far left and their agenda and you cant have the far right and their agenda, neither will win.
    What needs to happen here for us to be successful, is there has to be sacrifice across the board, with a light at the end of the tunnel when we are back on our feet, thats the only thiing that will be accepted by the mass's.
    The teaparty theme WE WONT COMPROMISE is not going to help them get whatever it is they want and Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reids gloating faces isnt going to get the left what it wants...

    First, cut all the fat, foriegn aid, bring home troops from unnecessary places, Germany etc, cut dept and programs that are overlapping and unnecessary. Cut programs and entitlements in a reasonable manner across the board....END corporate subsidies stop them all and re institute the bush tax cuts and no more talk of tax cuts till were out of the woods.
    That will float across the board pain and sacrifice...not ryans far right plan and not a far left plan either

  8. #8
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The only thing our politicians are doing is preparing/building/bracing for their next election.
    this is ofcourse true as well, it mainly state that they work for themself and their career. In the end their career will not matter depending on what direction our society takes or not take at all, so for their own selfish sake they still have to take into consideration the future of society.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'm as cynical as they come. Preparing/building/bracing for the future of our country? No. The only thing our politicians are doing is preparing/building/bracing for their next election. Unfortunately, "Those who take from Peter to pay Paul will always have Paul's support."
    Limit every position to one term. Force people to do something with their time in office, instead of focusing on keeping their position.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #10
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: are our politicians acting/doing things as if there is a future

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Limit every position to one term. Force people to do something with their time in office, instead of focusing on keeping their position.
    why does there need to be a president or any parties at all? a system with no parties and no single leader is what I personally see as ideal. everyone represent themself and vote case to case.

    this would make politics simple, every proposal would have to be understandable and easily readable by any single person. Not books like now just for a set of policies. Party politics has ruined politics.
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •