View Poll Results: Who was right: North or South?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • North

    39 58.21%
  • South

    21 31.34%
  • Neither

    7 10.45%
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 367

Thread: The Civil War

  1. #51
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: The Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Human rights violations like what was going on in the Northern factories? A worker was paid less than it cost to live and had to run a line of credit at the company store. He couldn't leave for a better job, until he paid off the company store, which would never happen. If he left the job, he would be imprisoned, then sent back to the same factory to go back to work.

    Sounds alot like slavery, to me.
    OK so bad things happened up North as well. That makes it all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #52
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: The Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    *The "right" for states to have slavery.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    No, the right to own property.
    If you view human beings as property, I pity you.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #53
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: The Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    How on earth can we morally say that it would have been alright for slavery to continue even one day longer than it did?
    I never said that. I was simply pointing out that conflict over slavery wasn't inevitable.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  4. #54
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: The Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    But, it should have the right to abolish it itself, without the threat of military intervention by a central government. Yes?
    Umm no. The "right to abolish it itself" is really the "right to dither for a few more decades while human beings remained enslaved." No state has that right. Just like if one of our state governments decided to become totalitarian and start murdering its residents, you damn well believe the federal government would militarily intervene rather than respecting the states' "right" to sort the matter out for itself.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    I would've been an abolitionist, so.....North.
    An interesting argument, but I would say that its better to leave and be free if that is what is open to you, than to stay and be oppressed. And while it might be worth fighting for freedom if you wish to stay if we talking of land, it doesn't make much sense in a form of government, or at least to me. If it was me I would of decided to form a new government, then to waste my time working with men that are only interested in controlling me. That is the situation that south was in, the north wanted to control them, and the south wanted no part of the new controls being put in place. They had no reason to tolerate it, and no reason to stay and fight for change, specially when they were doing that for awhile already and getting no where. Their solution was peaceful, and solved their problems. It seems to me to be a fine decision on their part that I agree with fully.

  6. #56
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,332

    Re: The Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So what? They wrote it into the Constitution, what does that tell you? I don't care any who served em, **** them to. If they were to stupid or misinformed to know what they were fighting to preserve, so what?
    Black soldiers in the Federal Army were so informed that they enlisted, for half of what white soldiers were being paid and sent to Hilton Head to dig ditches, or to Fort Wagner to absorb Confederate artillery fire.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: The Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Violence was absolutely the answer. When the South seceded they should have seen the writing on the wall.
    When they left in peace, and meant no harm to another, and when the nation was formed out of willing members I see no reason for violence. The only reason the north could manage was government property, and that was a weak one.

  8. #58
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,332

    Re: The Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If you view human beings as property, I pity you.
    There are people that would say the same thing about owning a dog, or a horse. In fact, there are members of the current administration that want to give animals the same rights as humans, which could eventually make animal ownership illegal. When you consider that fact, it's not a far stretch for Southerners to fear for their property rights.

  9. #59
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: The Civil War

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    An interesting argument, but I would say that its better to leave and be free if that is what is open to you, than to stay and be oppressed. And while it might be worth fighting for freedom if you wish to stay if we talking of land, it doesn't make much sense in a form of government, or at least to me. If it was me I would of decided to form a new government, then to waste my time working with men that are only interested in controlling me. That is the situation that south was in, the north wanted to control them, and the south wanted no part of the new controls being put in place. They had no reason to tolerate it, and no reason to stay and fight for change, specially when they were doing that for awhile already and getting no where. Their solution was peaceful, and solved their problems. It seems to me to be a fine decision on their part that I agree with fully.
    First of all, let's clarify who you mean when you say "the south wanted no part of the new controls." You're referring to the governments of southern states which were not democratically elected and did not reflect the will of the people living in those states (and I mean ALL of the people living in those states). And even if they did, too bad. Human rights are not and should not be subject to a popular vote.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #60
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: The Civil War

    I voted north, but on further consideration, I'd change that to neither. Knowing what I know today, I'd just let them secede.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •