View Poll Results: Incandescent Light bulb ban.... do you care?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I care! The ban is foolish! I want my incandescent bulbs!

    20 26.32%
  • I like the ban! Bring on new lighting technology!

    20 26.32%
  • I dont care either way!

    13 17.11%
  • I like incandescent bulbs and fluorescent ones. But dont make a law about them!

    19 25.00%
  • OTHER / I dont know / Chimichanga

    4 5.26%
Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 452

Thread: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

  1. #441
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    I can only laugh at you when you call restricting you from buying hand grenades "harming" you.
    Freedom just blocks your ideas of controls. If it doesn't benefit people you think it should be banned. You can't even figure out why really, you just think it. Your absurdly retarded in your thought processes. Your trust in the government is so complete you have decided them to the judge on these things. I have no idea where you get its a wise idea, but I'm done with you.

  2. #442
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Freedom just blocks your ideas of controls. If it doesn't benefit people you think it should be banned. You can't even figure out why really, you just think it. Your absurdly retarded in your thought processes. Your trust in the government is so complete you have decided them to the judge on these things. I have no idea where you get its a wise idea, but I'm done with you.
    Have you ever thought about why kids can pet the lamb at the zoo, but not the lion? Let me explain it like you would to a child:

    The lamb is gentle and is unlikely to bite you. Even if the lamb bites you, it won't hurt too hard. The lion, on the other hand, is very dangerous. He could scratch you and leave a scar forever. He could even eat you.

    I use this analogy because people can be animals. Go ahead, pet the lion.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  3. #443
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Have you ever thought about why kids can pet the lamb at the zoo, but not the lion? Let me explain it like you would to a child:

    The lamb is gentle and is unlikely to bite you. Even if the lamb bites you, it won't hurt too hard. The lion, on the other hand, is very dangerous. He could scratch you and leave a scar forever. He could even eat you.

    I use this analogy because people can be animals. Go ahead, pet the lion.
    Lions don't deserve to a be a cage. If we are going to be put them in a cage they are just pets and treated as such. If you have a child and don't want harm to come to them you keep them away from the lion. Your argument is a bit weak.

  4. #444
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    OK I've heard this claim several times, and I would like to see some verifiable evidence that this 2007 energy bill, as passed by REPUBLICAN George W. Bush, indisputably creates a net deficit of jobs.
    Here's just one of many stories.



    Should the Feds ban incandescent light bulbs? - The Week

    CFLs are unsafe and typically produced in China: "This wicked law cannot be switched off soon enough," says Deroy Murdock in the Boston Herald. Not only are CFL bulbs aesthetically unappealing, they're also a health hazard — each bulb contains enough toxic mercury to pollute hundreds of gallons of water. And, "Washington's war on the Edison bulb" has cost hundreds of Americans their jobs, as bulb makers have shuttered incandescent plants across the country. Sure, "labor-intensive CFL production is thriving," but it's doing so in China.
    "Lighten up, feds"

  5. #445
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Freedom just blocks your ideas of controls. If it doesn't benefit people you think it should be banned. You can't even figure out why really, you just think it. Your absurdly retarded in your thought processes. Your trust in the government is so complete you have decided them to the judge on these things. I have no idea where you get its a wise idea, but I'm done with you.
    You like to omit parts of what I said in order to try and discredit. You can can buy a useless lump of crap if you want. Based on the poo you have already flung at me, I am confident I will not be harmed. I just don't trust you with a weapon of destruction.

    I am laughing even harder than before. I have never heard someone call mathematical logic and philosophy an absurdly retarded thought process
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  6. #446
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    You like to omit parts of what I said in order to try and discredit. You can can buy a useless lump of crap if you want. Based on the poo you have already flung at me, I am confident I will not be harmed. I just don't trust you with a weapon of destruction.

    I am laughing even harder than before. I have never heard someone call mathematical logic and philosophy an absurdly retarded thought process
    I'm not. I'm calling anyone that uses it to restrict freedom absurdly retarded. No harm is done but because of what you gathered you decide everyone doesn't deserve whatever it might be. Your argument is retarded. You can just talk to yourself from here on out. I'm done.
    Last edited by Henrin; 08-18-11 at 03:26 AM.

  7. #447
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Here's just one of many stories.
    More mercury pollution comes from the high power use of incandescent bulbs, than from the mercury used in CFLs, and that is if the CFLs are all not disposed of properly.

    Compact fluorescent lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Compact Fluorescent Bulbs and Mercury: Reality Check - Popular Mechanics
    http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...et_Mercury.pdf

    And the people losing their jobs and these countries closing plants down is due to corporate greed and the higher ups in those companies wanting to be able to pay less money for their workers. It isn't about this light bulb law. That is an excuse. Where is the outrage at GE for shipping those jobs to another country? Where is the outrage for them selling out America and American jobs in order to save a buck? No, what we see is people blaming this law, which according to those against this law, would be unnecessary in the near future anyway when the market eventually forced the companies to do the same thing they are doing now.

    Do you honestly believe that repeal of the law will bring those jobs back? It is even possible that GE was going to close those plants and move their plants to another country without the law.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #448
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,200

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Because it's in your picture, LesGovt, I'm curious if you agree that a lion at the zoo needs to be caged and understand why.
    That lion was not in a cage. I took that picture on the Serengeti. That's where lions belong. The benefit for the lion is he would have freedom.

  9. #449
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm not. I'm calling anyone that uses it to restrict freedom absurdly retarded. No harm is done but because of what you gathered you decide everyone doesn't deserve whatever it might be. Your argument is retarded. You can just talk to yourself from here on out. I'm done.
    One thing I have never learned - do not argue with a fool; and I am not the only one.

  10. #450
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    The law of unintended consequences.....or at least one would hope they are unintended.. Now if I was a conspiracy theorist, I might see GE buddying around with Obama and getting a ban on cheap bulbs, and then moving production to China and then see the price of "acceptable" bulbs soar.

    BEIJING — In the name of fighting pollution, China has sent the price of compact fluorescent light bulbs soaring in the United States.

    By closing or nationalizing dozens of the producers of rare earth metals — which are used in energy-efficient bulbs and many other green-energy products — China is temporarily shutting down most of the industry and crimping the global supply of the vital resources.

    China produces nearly 95 percent of the world’s rare earth materials, and it is taking the steps to improve pollution controls in a notoriously toxic mining and processing industry. But the moves also have potential international trade implications and have started yet another round of price increases for rare earths, which are vital for green-energy products including giant wind turbines, hybrid gasoline-electric cars and compact fluorescent bulbs.

    General Electric, facing complaints in the United States about rising prices for its compact fluorescent bulbs, recently noted in a statement that if the rate of inflation over the last 12 months on the rare earth element europium oxide had been applied to a $2 cup of coffee, that coffee would now cost $24.55.


    China Consolidates Grip on Rare Earths - Yahoo! Finance

    "But we will do all we can to keep the prices of a lightbulb below $15.00".

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •