View Poll Results: Incandescent Light bulb ban.... do you care?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I care! The ban is foolish! I want my incandescent bulbs!

    20 26.32%
  • I like the ban! Bring on new lighting technology!

    20 26.32%
  • I dont care either way!

    13 17.11%
  • I like incandescent bulbs and fluorescent ones. But dont make a law about them!

    19 25.00%
  • OTHER / I dont know / Chimichanga

    4 5.26%
Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 452

Thread: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

  1. #291
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Being a criminal doesn't mean you get arrested. The punishment could just be the loose of just one freedom or a fine to go with it. In this case everyone is dragged and given an order to obey and if they doesn't pass they can't drive the car that failed.
    As it should be, I don't want to be on the road with those who think it is their freedom to have non-working brakes if they choose. This is your example of what you see as tyranny eh???
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Actually you do. Or about an 80% reduction in population (for everyone to have direct access to clean water). Direct access to clean water is limited in space and duration, and we are not doing so sustainably.
    Water can not be destroyed and private companies can provide this service without government being involved. My point..

    Just because you happen to live on a lake or river does not mean you can access clean water without the government, for at least two reasons. First, that water can be polluted vi air and otherwise, and it is beyond your control.
    Ah, ok. I can clean the water and I'm not asking for the entire lake so..

    Second, that land could be taken from you without the government; you would be a static target and as soon as the invaders had stand-off weapons in excess of your range you'd cease to exist.
    Ok. But that has nothing to do with water but property. It also assumes I can't protect it.

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    As it should be, I don't want to be on the road with those who think it is their freedom to have non-working brakes if they choose. This is your example of what you see as tyranny eh???
    Did they happen to crash into you?

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by extrastrictman View Post
    ...and what percentage of the population lives two blocks from work? I do, but this is clearly uncommon, and thus I walk to work.

    Let's get back to the main subject of this thread. Please provide your argument of how the new light bulb is going to worsen anyone's life. Your argument supporting the bicycle is that for "some" it is an alternative. My argument supporting the new light bulb is that for "everyone" it is a reasonable alternative.
    My point is, if it is, people will choose it.

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It is the rule of law. Of course, I understand there is a fringe element in society that do not believe in the rule of law. Are you one of them?
    Lets be clear they have no obligation to protect your health or the environment in which you live. They only have the obligation to protect your rights and preserve your liberty. Big difference my boy.

  6. #296
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    My point is, if it is, people will choose it.
    No, they won't. Some people can't even tell you what is the difference between a 60W and 100W bulb. You expect me to believe that they're going to choose the more efficient bulb? If I remove the wrong answers from a multiple choice problem then everyone will get it right.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  7. #297
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Honestly? I don't think they're going to be phased out entirely. I think the market will pick up, yes, but I think that demand will still exist for paper books. But there is a real chance that you are right. Look what happened to typewriters: Manual typewriters are only found in museums now, and even electronic ones have almost entirely been phased out. Might the laptop be next?
    Manual typewriters museums, and even electric one are now being refurbished and being sold in small stores for $200 or more. Yes, not a lot but I don't like incorrect absolutes.

  8. #298
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by extrastrictman View Post
    ...Let's get back to the main subject of this thread. Please provide your argument of how the new light bulb is going to worsen anyone's life. Your argument supporting the bicycle is that for "some" it is an alternative. My argument supporting the new light bulb is that for "everyone" it is a reasonable alternative.
    I need to repeat to support extrastrictman. I think halogen, longer life, incandescents will still be legal because they are somewhat more efficient. What I like about the law is that it allows me to use a 60w incandescent, the halogen version. It's a little more expensive w/ a much longer life and effenciency, where I need an incandescent. An engineer must have thought out this law.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 08-15-11 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    01-14-18 @ 01:44 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,665

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So do light bulbs

    Wrong the argument is minimize the impact of pollution and reduce wasted energy on a already overly loaded grid.

    Lightbulbs add up

    pretty much everything is subject to increased energy efficiency.
    The argument by the proponents of lightbulb bannings has not been to minimize the impact of pollution or reduce wasted energy. If either of those would have been the argument, they would seek a ban on air conditioning units and automobiles. Picking on lightbulbs is not even a serious effort.

  10. #300
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    The argument by the proponents of lightbulb bannings has not been to minimize the impact of pollution or reduce wasted energy. If either of those would have been the argument, they would seek a ban on air conditioning units and automobiles. Picking on lightbulbs is not even a serious effort.

    Okay show me what you think the argument is.............

Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •