View Poll Results: Incandescent Light bulb ban.... do you care?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I care! The ban is foolish! I want my incandescent bulbs!

    20 26.32%
  • I like the ban! Bring on new lighting technology!

    20 26.32%
  • I dont care either way!

    13 17.11%
  • I like incandescent bulbs and fluorescent ones. But dont make a law about them!

    19 25.00%
  • OTHER / I dont know / Chimichanga

    4 5.26%
Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 452

Thread: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

  1. #241
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,710

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Actually I have been right about everything so far.

    Facts so far
    1) It is a ban since it takes a product off the market
    2) The problem is the support of the power plants, not the light bulbs.

    If you wish to talk about harm put the focus where it belongs. If take off the support of the power plants you will get you alternative energy wishes.
    Interesting counterposition, but let me play devil's advocate with it: What is so bad about requiring multiple sources of light to have roughly similar efficiencies?

  2. #242
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Massive, massive strawman in your arguments there. Can you please engage in a civilized debate instead of trolling like this?
    BS to you!! You argue that spending a dime is wasting money and energy, but there are far more items that cost tens of thousands times as much money and energy. That is the truth and you tyrants need to look in the mirror and take measure of yourself and your ideology. You are all just petty tyrants who think you know better than the rest of us.

    The vote in the House to repeal this sewage was not enough to pass, but it was a majority and a fairly sizable one. Hopefully, the GOP will gain the needed votes to carry the day the next time the vote comes up and hopefully, it will not be too late. The tyrants have probably already done the damage and it probably cannot be saved. That's a shame.

    Now, stop being a hypocrite and sell your car and buy that bicycle. Show us that you really mean what you say. I doubt that you really mean it. You just say it to make yourselves feel important and better than the rest of us. You fail at both.

  3. #243
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    There's a fundamental flaw in this reasoning: If one person's mistakes affected absolutely nobody, that would be one thing. But we do not live in a vacuum. And when those mistakes involve the environment, then certainly mistakes affect others.
    This reasoning is open ended and without limit. Its pretty much a useless argument. Attacking the instruments aren't going to solve the problem, attack the support. All you are doing is attacking everyday people that involved in power like you and me and forget to mention that doing anything like using your computer uses far more power than a light. Maybe you should ban computers? Or you could just take away the support...

  4. #244
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,710

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    BS to you!! You argue that spending a dime is wasting money and energy, but there are far more items that cost tens of thousands times as much money and energy. That is the truth and you tyrants need to look in the mirror and take measure of yourself and your ideology. You are all just petty tyrants who think you know better than the rest of us.

    The vote in the House to repeal this sewage was not enough to pass, but it was a majority and a fairly sizable one. Hopefully, the GOP will gain the needed votes to carry the day the next time the vote comes up and hopefully, it will not be too late. The tyrants have probably already done the damage and it probably cannot be saved. That's a shame.

    Now, stop being a hypocrite and sell your car and buy that bicycle. Show us that you really mean what you say. I doubt that you really mean it. You just say it to make yourselves feel important and better than the rest of us. You fail at both.
    Strike two, son. Keep on trolling like this and you will be the second person I've put on my ignore list in the last 24 hours.

    Furthermore, your utter refusal to address the more civilized points in this thread indicates that you have little, if anything, to counter them.

  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    It's a safe bet that CFLs are a scapegoat for lost jobs. Were it not for the economic setup that has been causing job losses for years before CFLs were even invented, I don't think that that would ever be a problem. Furthermore, what percentage of job losses can be attributed to CFLs anyway?
    Does it really matter? Can we really afford to lose even one more to China? Look, I can understand someone defending more efficient bulbs. I think they are great, I just think that people will go to them on their own much like every new improvement. But to go to the lengths of defending the manufacturing going overseas? Sorry, that's nothing more than partisan B.S.

    Basically.
    But people are unable to make the same decisions concerning light bulbs?

    You can still buy paper books.
    As you should.

  6. #246
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Interesting counterposition, but let me play devil's advocate with it: What is so bad about requiring multiple sources of light to have roughly similar efficiencies?
    What is bad is forcing people into purchasing decisions that they don't want just because you think you know better than the people. I know freedom is difficult concept, but it is an important one.

  7. #247
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Strike two, son. Keep on trolling like this and you will be the second person I've put on my ignore list in the last 24 hours.

    Furthermore, your utter refusal to address the more civilized points in this thread indicates that you have little, if anything, to counter them.
    Daddy, you may put me on ignore if you wish. That doesn't bother me. You'll still be a hyprocrite even if you cannot see me say it. Bye! Bye!

  8. #248
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,710

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    This reasoning is open ended and without limit. Its pretty much a useless argument. Attacking the instruments aren't going to solve the problem, attack the support. All you are doing is attacking everyday people that involved in power like you and me and forget to mention that doing anything like using your computer uses far more power than a light. Maybe you should ban computers? Or you could just take away the support...
    I'm not following you here. If I choose to dump a thousand pounds of mercury in a nearby river, that is going to affect a LOT of other people, not to mention the environment as a whole. Such a crime should be punished because of that effect, not in spite of it.

    Making energy more efficient, cleaner, and more cost-effective needs to be done at all levels of the chain. We need more efficient harvesting of resources, more efficient power stations that convert those resources into electricity, a smarter grid that sends that electrical energy to our homes/offices/factories, and more efficient appliances to use that energy. More efficient light bulbs addresses that last point.

    It's interesting to note, BTW, that Americans have little problem with more efficient bulbs. Hell, some CFLs have a cool enough color temperature that you can hardly distinguish them from incandescent light.

  9. #249
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,710

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    Daddy, you may put me on ignore if you wish. That doesn't bother me. You'll still be a hyprocrite even if you cannot see me say it. Bye! Bye!
    You know what? No, I'm not going to just yet. I want to first see if you are actually able to hold a civilized debate. I want to know: Do you think we should preserve incandescent bulbs or switch over to CFLs?

  10. #250
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,880

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    There are those elitists, though, who think that we, the people, are too dumb to know what's best for us.

Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •