View Poll Results: Incandescent Light bulb ban.... do you care?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I care! The ban is foolish! I want my incandescent bulbs!

    20 26.32%
  • I like the ban! Bring on new lighting technology!

    20 26.32%
  • I dont care either way!

    13 17.11%
  • I like incandescent bulbs and fluorescent ones. But dont make a law about them!

    19 25.00%
  • OTHER / I dont know / Chimichanga

    4 5.26%
Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 452

Thread: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    As has been previoisly documented, you can still choose to buy incandescent light bulbs.
    I have no idea how you can continually miss the point. The change of standard took a type of incandescent light bulb off the market. That is an example of less choice. Stop with the strawman bull****.

  2. #222
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I have no idea how you can continually miss the point. The change of standard took a type of incandescent light bulb off the market. That is an example of less choice. Stop with the strawman bull****.
    The new standard replaces inefficient incandescent with more efficient incandescent. The reason this was done is because enegy ineffiency is harming public health, the environment, and the economy. Your "freedom" does not extend to harming people and their families. But go ahead and whine about your "restricted" inability to harm others if it makes you feel better!
    Last edited by Catawba; 08-14-11 at 09:45 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #223
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Facts are important!
    I would agree, but all you brought to the table so far has been strawman logical fallacies.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #224
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Yeah!
    Break out the coal oil torches; better yet, lets use whale oil....
    Or, man should be kept in the dark.
    only if we can eat the whale meat afterwards.... :P
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The new standard replaces inefficient incandescent with more efficient incandescent. The reason this was done is because enegy ineffiency is harming public health, the environment, and the economy. Your "freedom" does not extend to harming people and their families. But go ahead and whine about your "restricted" inability to harm others if it makes you feel better!
    So now you admit I was right the entire time only to make another stance on a false claim. Answer me this, who is holding up those power plants you hate so much? I will give you hint, it starts with a G. Ask yourself this, why does the government bitch that the power companies won't invent new technologies but at the same time pay to make the business model profitable? To even claim for a minute the government has a reason to speak here is nonsense.

  6. #226
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Am I supposed to be surprised that you would think that?
    Should I care that you might not be surprised?

  7. #227
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Same with the new light bulb efficiency standards. That was his point.
    I understand that you love tyranny and want to defend it. Authoritarians like to do that.

  8. #228
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,172

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    we agree here!
    That would be a very cold day in Hell.

  9. #229
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,713

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Here is how they are meeting those goals.

    Production of Light Bulbs in US Dwindles As Factories Close

    The 2007 legislation which bans incandescent light bulbs by 2014 is manifesting disagreeable consequences in manufacturing. Most major lighting manufacturers have spent the last few years refocusing their operations toward a more energy efficient end. Unfortunately for factory workers in the US, energy efficient light bulbs construction is much more manual-labor intensive. The increase in cost causes manufacturers to look for cheaper ways to do business, and one of the first things to be done is usually moving manual labor jobs to China.

    Outsourcing light bulbs jobs to China is ironic considering the promises made by our government that the move to energy efficient lighting would create more manufacturing jobs.

    Production of Light Bulbs in US Dwindles As Factories Close

    So you can feel good about buying a light bulb for $7.50 while your neighbor loses his job.
    It's a safe bet that CFLs are a scapegoat for lost jobs. Were it not for the economic setup that has been causing job losses for years before CFLs were even invented, I don't think that that would ever be a problem. Furthermore, what percentage of job losses can be attributed to CFLs anyway?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    This is actually a good point. New technology is causing book sales to fall all without the government interfering.
    Basically.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Which also in my view is not necessarily a good thing. I don't demean the technology, it's just that an iPad or Nook is cold, has not paper pulp and ink smell, and has the tactile similarities of a toaster. I like reading, experiencing, touching and reading all at the same time, sometimes with one hand and being able to lend that book out if I want to. Can't really do that with a e-book reader.
    You can still buy paper books.

  10. #230
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post

    You can still buy paper books.
    Yeah, but it's a little sad that they will sometime in the near future, no longer be made, or simply made as a novelty.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •