View Poll Results: Incandescent Light bulb ban.... do you care?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I care! The ban is foolish! I want my incandescent bulbs!

    20 26.32%
  • I like the ban! Bring on new lighting technology!

    20 26.32%
  • I dont care either way!

    13 17.11%
  • I like incandescent bulbs and fluorescent ones. But dont make a law about them!

    19 25.00%
  • OTHER / I dont know / Chimichanga

    4 5.26%
Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 452

Thread: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Or not.

    First, I have only bought CFLs since 2005. I switched when I found out how much more energy efficient they are. Plus, they are less likely to break than incandescent bulbs, which is good for me, since I am a clutz.

    Second, I currently buy no light bulbs because I just call up housing and tell them when my bulbs burn out and they send someone out to replace them.
    You are buying them.

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Heya, why not ban books, too? They've been here, like, BEFORE the bulb. Think of all the trees, dude.

  3. #193
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    That is not bad if you are a subject. Perhaps you should consider it from a citizens point of view. You can buy whatever you want to buy with no busybody bureaucrat telling you what your choices are limited to.
    You can marry whomever you would like to marry with no busybody Christian Conservative telling you what your choice is limited to.

    When I can say that with the law to back me up, I'll start on your war against light bulb tyranny.

  4. #194
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Hey, if you can provide an argument that supports the notion that using said light bulbs does not harm others, you will have a case
    Using said light bulb doesn't harm others - in fact it's up to you to prove it DOES harm others, which you have not done. Therefore, I can state emphatically that using said light bulb hurts no one.

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    My point is that if a case can be brought that proves they aren't harmful, then it will all be a mute point
    You want to prove a negative... well there's your problem right there.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #195
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    You are buying them.
    Not really, unless you're saying through my taxes. But then again, I think a lot of them are specialty bulbs anyways. I don't know what kind they are.

    Regardless, I don't care, because BAH pays for housing, which includes electricity, water, and light bulb replacement in full. It doesn't matter if we use a little electricity or a lot, nor does it matter if we never change out a light while we are here, because we don't see any change in how much money goes to housing due to those actions.

    Now, if I had any say in what lights were used by housing, I would choose the CFLs.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    You can marry whomever you would like to marry with no busybody Christian Conservative telling you what your choice is limited to.

    When I can say that with the law to back me up, I'll start on your war against light bulb tyranny.
    Yeah.. we're talking about lightbulbs.

    Your argument's like Santa's stash. You never know what you're gonna get.

    Are you going to tie in illegal immigration, too?
    Last edited by Wake; 08-14-11 at 05:25 PM.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Heya, why not ban books, too? They've been here, like, BEFORE the bulb. Think of all the trees, dude.
    This is actually a good point. New technology is causing book sales to fall all without the government interfering.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not really, unless you're saying through my taxes. But then again, I think a lot of them are specialty bulbs anyways. I don't know what kind they are.

    Regardless, I don't care, because BAH pays for housing, which includes electricity, water, and light bulb replacement in full. It doesn't matter if we use a little electricity or a lot, nor does it matter if we never change out a light while we are here, because we don't see any change in how much money goes to housing due to those actions.

    Now, if I had any say in what lights were used by housing, I would choose the CFLs.
    So basically you aren't concerned with GE (and others) moving these jobs overseas because you have yours?

  9. #199
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    This is actually a good point. New technology is causing book sales to fall all without the government interfering.
    Which also in my view is not necessarily a good thing. I don't demean the technology, it's just that an iPad or Nook is cold, has not paper pulp and ink smell, and has the tactile similarities of a toaster. I like reading, experiencing, touching and reading all at the same time, sometimes with one hand and being able to lend that book out if I want to. Can't really do that with a e-book reader.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #200
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,294

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    This is actually a good point. New technology is causing book sales to fall all without the government interfering.
    Yes, as new technology, in the form of LEDs, displaces the incandescant bulb that is a ubiquitous presence in all Global Warming scenarios and calculations, and scares the big energy wasters because they might be next. Progress, Bucko! Ain't it great?

Page 20 of 46 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •