View Poll Results: Incandescent Light bulb ban.... do you care?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • I care! The ban is foolish! I want my incandescent bulbs!

    20 26.32%
  • I like the ban! Bring on new lighting technology!

    20 26.32%
  • I dont care either way!

    13 17.11%
  • I like incandescent bulbs and fluorescent ones. But dont make a law about them!

    19 25.00%
  • OTHER / I dont know / Chimichanga

    4 5.26%
Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 452

Thread: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

  1. #151
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,173

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    His illustration of the absurd is supposed to demean those who wish to have a choice. Given that cereal with razor blades is not currently on the market or purchased through any retailer, the absurd is revealed to be nothing more that just that: absurdity. A valid analogy would be, "Why can't I buy cereal with raisins in it?" when for example, the Government has decided that to create raisins costs too much energy (I'm making this up), and therefore has banned raisins in cereal. FilmFestGuy was simply trying to assert his view of absurdity (because he does not value choice) with an irrelevant analogy.
    It is obvious to me that the left uses extreme arguments to support their tyranny.

  2. #152
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    LOL While FilmFestGuy's analogy may be a bit extreme .. I think you understand the point he is making. He knows the two aren't comparable, but that does not make the principle of the matter any less true.
    I get very sarcastic on Sundays. I just can't help myself.

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I get very sarcastic on Sundays. I just can't help myself.

    Gettin' that old time religion huh?

  4. #154
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    It's not about the light bulbs... it's about choice.
    Let me guess ... you're one of those guys who thinks stealing is O.K. because "it's about choice". Your argument sounds like you are saying "Yeah, I support freedom of choice; I support one's choice to take the life of another .. as long as freedom is preserved, do whatever you want" ... this is really quite infantile .. I don't think you understand the principle of the matter. Your "it's about choice" argument, only considers the person making the "choice" and not those that it can harm .. by definition, such an argument is selfish.

  5. #155
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by LesGovt View Post
    It is obvious to me that the left uses extreme arguments to support their tyranny.
    Some cannot see the value of choice. Their indoctrination is completed throughout their lives and know no better. Do not hate the person, hate the ignorance.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #156
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    I would only be limited to the capacity of my facility to intake energy.

    This thread is not about amounts of energy to be wasted but about choice and limiting that choice for the supposed "greater good". All resources on this earth are finite and shared. However when a choice is removed under the guise of "well that wastes too much energy", I have to ask, "According to who?" Who is making my decision on what "too much" is? I will decide that, based on my particular need, capabilities and resources.

    My limits are my business and my choice. No one elses.

    No, your limits are not just your business. You seem to realize that limits are set for the "greater good" but essentially say "I don't care if they're for the greater good." That shows how much you care about others, doesn't it? Even if your usage of energy isn't going to deplete the energy on this planet by next week, conservation by using a new type of light bulb should not cause agony for a single human being. Hence, the positives clearly outweigh the negatives and there is no reason to whine about a loss of "freedom".
    Last edited by Mathematician; 08-14-11 at 02:56 PM.

  7. #157
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,173

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    So Kellogg has such a right to manufacture such a product, yes or no?
    More silliness. The other silly person did not say anything about the manufacturer. He wanted to know if he had the freedom to eat the cereal. He does! Would you like to join him in eating his cereal with the razor blades in it?

  8. #158
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Let me guess ... you're one of those guys who thinks stealing is O.K. because "it's about choice".
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Your argument sounds like you are saying "Yeah, I support freedom of choice; I support one's choice to take the life of another .. as long as freedom is preserved, do whatever you want" ... this is really quite infantile
    Perhaps you hear it that way. All I'm saying is, let me choose my own light bulb. Who's life it that taking?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    .. I don't think you understand the principle of the matter. Your "it's about choice" argument, only considers the person making the "choice" and not those that it can harm .. by definition, such an argument is selfish.
    Who's choice am I harming by using incandescent light bulbs? You pick the light bulb you want to use, and I'll do the same.

    Real harmful.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  9. #159
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,173

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Let me guess ... you're one of those guys who thinks stealing is O.K. because "it's about choice". Your argument sounds like you are saying "Yeah, I support freedom of choice; I support one's choice to take the life of another .. as long as freedom is preserved, do whatever you want" ... this is really quite infantile .. I don't think you understand the principle of the matter. Your "it's about choice" argument, only considers the person making the "choice" and not those that it can harm .. by definition, such an argument is selfish.
    It just keeps getting sillier and sillier.

  10. #160
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Incandecent Bulbs Made Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    His illustration of the absurd is supposed to demean those who wish to have a choice. Given that cereal with razor blades is not currently on the market or purchased through any retailer, the absurd is revealed to be nothing more that just that: absurdity. A valid analogy would be, "Why can't I buy cereal with raisins in it?" when for example, the Government has decided that to create raisins costs too much energy (I'm making this up), and therefore has banned raisins in cereal. FilmFestGuy was simply trying to assert his view of absurdity (because he does not value choice) with an irrelevant analogy.
    Very good. And I thought most conservatives didn't get absurdity and irony.

    But, to get serious about the issue. There is NOT a ban on incandescent light bulbs. There is merely a minimum standard of efficiency that all light bulbs must meet. Energy efficiency standards have been put in place by both Republican and Democratic administrations since the energy crisis of the 1970s.

    I just find it appallingly silly that people are getting all apoplectic over it now, but didn't say a thing about it when Bush signed the bill.

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •