View Poll Results: Is hatred wrong?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 18.87%
  • No

    20 37.74%
  • Not sure

    1 1.89%
  • Depends

    22 41.51%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 131

Thread: Is Hatred wrong?

  1. #51
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,802

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Why is hating a person wrong? Why can't I just hate someone if they are a horrible person?
    What do you gain personally from hating someone? How would hate enrich your life?










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  2. #52
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    What do you gain personally from hating someone? How would hate enrich your life?
    If there are holes in you, you can use hate to fill them. You can sustain yourself on hatred when you have nothing else to hold onto.

  3. #53
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    How so?

    What is wrong with extreme dislike?

    What is hate?
    When the word is used correctly, hate is an emotion reserved for those we used to care about a greal deal....usually involving betrayal.

    It is a destructive emotion most of the time. Carried to its extreme, it is all-consuming and impairs one's mental health.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #54
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    If there are holes in you, you can use hate to fill them. You can sustain yourself on hatred when you have nothing else to hold onto.
    You can, but you can't ever have yourself back if that's what you choose to fill yourself with.

    Hate is like a virus. And Risky makes a very good point about its similarity of action, if opposite of experience, to love.

    You are never, ever the same after your first real love. And you are never, ever the same after your first real hate.

    If you let that define you, you're never even human again. Just as if you let your first love define you, you never love again.

    I could not imagine existing with that for a second longer than it took me to figure out how to destroy it. It was a horrible way to feel.

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    You can, but you can't ever have yourself back if that's what you choose to fill yourself with.

    Hate is like a virus. And Risky makes a very good point about its similarity of action, if opposite of experience, to love.

    You are never, ever the same after your first real love. And you are never, ever the same after your first real hate.

    If you let that define you, you're never even human again. Just as if you let your first love define you, you never love again.

    I could not imagine existing with that for a second longer than it took me to figure out how to destroy it. It was a horrible way to feel.
    I agree with this. I remember the first time I felt like I truly hated someone, it was a disgusting, horrible, consuming feeling. There's some quote like, "Hate is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die." That sums it up pretty well.

    In the end, I think it becomes pretty impossible to hate anyone when you understand them which is why I think understanding is the most important social tool. I don't even think one can hate a serial killer when you understand the causes of their actions.

  6. #56
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    There was never enough of me to make a real human being out of. I'm trying to find what's left of me without my hate, and it isn't much.

  7. #57
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    In the end, I think it becomes pretty impossible to hate anyone when you understand them which is why I think understanding is the most important social tool.
    It's easier to hate someone when you understand them. You just have to hate yourself, too.

  8. #58
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    It's easier to hate someone when you understand them. You just have to hate yourself, too.
    Indeed, I'd go so far as to say hating oneself is required to hate in the first place.

    This is the reason hatred is wrong. We are all numerically one, so when you hate or think ill of another you are hating and thinking ill of yourself. Hatred is just like putting your finger on a hot stove. It is good and natural to stop. If you stubbornly persist, you end up hurting yourself.

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    It's easier to hate someone when you understand them. You just have to hate yourself, too.
    Eh. I don't think anyone who hates himself understands himself so by default hating another means you don't understand yourself or the other person.

  10. #60
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    How so?

    What is wrong with extreme dislike?

    What is hate?
    It's the interpretation of a chemical process which occurs in portions of the brain involving various systoms of function and is involuntary as are all other chemical activities and sensations.

    How you respond to the emotion, however, is key.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •