View Poll Results: Is hatred wrong?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 18.87%
  • No

    20 37.74%
  • Not sure

    1 1.89%
  • Depends

    22 41.51%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 131

Thread: Is Hatred wrong?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It ends at the point where the destruction hate does to the individual overpowers its positive utility.

    None of this changes the fact that hate is an emotion and emotions can be toxic. I'm just correcting your assertion that hate can't be toxic since it's a concept.


    I'm not sure what you mean. Do you deny that hate creates negativity and that hatred is based in ignorance?
    It does not always overpower its positive utility, theplaydrive.

    Emotions cannot be toxic. Toxic implies poison. What is the poison? Can I objectively view it?

    Hate does not create negativity. Negativity reacts to hate, as mosquitos to a zapper. Ignorance implies one neither knows nor understands. One can know and understand... and hate.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Emotions cannot be toxic. Toxic implies poison. What is the poison? Can I objectively view it?
    Hate IS the poison, just like fear. This might help.

    How to Break Through Toxic Emotions | Gaiam Life

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Hate IS the poison, just like fear. This might help.

    How to Break Through Toxic Emotions | Gaiam Life
    We do not like subjectivity. You do not like subjectivity.

    I do not care for the subjectivity of the mouth in your link.

    I can say anger is poison. I can say all love is good. I can say homosexuality is poison. There are many subjective things people say.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    We do not like subjectivity. You do not like subjectivity.

    I do not care for the subjectivity of the mouth in your link.

    I can say anger is poison. I can say all love is good. I can say homosexuality is poison. There are many subjective things people say.
    Quoted for posterity.

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    It does not always overpower its positive utility, theplaydrive.
    I never said that it did, Wake.

    Emotions cannot be toxic. Toxic implies poison. What is the poison? Can I objectively view it?
    Look up the definition of figurative and apply it.

    Hate does not create negativity. Negativity reacts to hate, as mosquitos to a zapper. Ignorance implies one neither knows nor understands.
    So when terrorists hate the united states, their hate does not create negativity? When person X hates person Y, their hate based treatment of person Y doesn't create negativity?

    One can know and understand... and hate.
    I disagree. One can know and understand and hate only if one rejects that knowledge and understanding. If you accept what you know and understand, you don't hate. For example, I hate a sociopathic murderer when I reject the knowledge that he doesn't make decisions like me. I don't hate him when I accept that knowledge.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 06-10-11 at 07:52 PM.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Quoted for posterity.
    Your post is nothingness, BDBoop. That didn't respond to any of my points and obscures the point you think you're making.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I never said that it did, Wake.

    Look up the definition of figurative and apply it.


    So when terrorists hate the united states, their hate does not create negativity? When person X hates person Y, their hate based treatment of person Y doesn't create negativity?


    I disagree. One can know and understand and hate only if one rejects that knowledge and understanding. If you accept what you know and understand, you don't hate. For example, I hate a sociopathic murderer when I reject the knowledge that he doesn't make decisions like me. I don't hate him when I accept that knowledge.
    It seemed that way.

    Figurative is not objective. So long as you at it is figurative, we are go.

    Concepts, emotions, and beliefs do not birth concepts, emotions, and beliefs. I believe in cause and effect when it comes to such intangibility, not creation.

    Respectfully, I see it differently. I don't see how it is true that if you accept and understand everything, you cannot hate. With the sociopath scenario I am a little doubtful. Not everyone would hate the sociopath in your way and why. I can perfectly understand and accept onions, yet hate them. I know what they are, what they do, and what they dream (lol). Same with sociopaths. I do not have to know everything about them because it doesn't matter. It does not matter to me what they think, eat, etc. What matters is what they have/are/are trying to do.

    I respect you for your civility and thoughtful posts.

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    It seemed that way.
    What I meant was that hatred can be useful until the negative it creates overpowers the positive.

    Figurative is not objective. So long as you at it is figurative, we are go.
    Right. When I or anyone else says hate is toxic, we mean hate harms the person who holds it. I would say that hate is just as objectively toxic as depression and sadness are.

    Concepts, emotions, and beliefs do not birth concepts, emotions, and beliefs. I believe in cause and effect when it comes to such intangibility, not creation.
    Right. And the hate of a terrorist causes his violence. In other words, hate causes negativity.

    Respectfully, I see it differently. I don't see how it is true that if you accept and understand everything, you cannot hate. With the sociopath scenario I am a little doubtful. Not everyone would hate the sociopath in your way and why. I can perfectly understand and accept onions, yet hate them. I know what they are, what they do, and what they dream (lol).
    I concede the onion point, but when I talked about understanding, I had hatred of people and their actions, thoughts, etc. in mind. Although I don't really understand how people "hate" inanimate objects.

    Same with sociopaths. I do not have to know everything about them because it doesn't matter. It does not matter to me what they think, eat, etc. What matters is what they have/are/are trying to do.
    This is difficult for me to believe if only for the fact that understanding and knowledge consistently kills hatred in every generation. For example, it's more difficult for the white child of a racist to hate blacks if he grows up with black people and understands how similar they are to him. Similarly, many formerly homophobic parents find it more difficult to hate gays when their child turns out to be gay (so long as those parents accept what they've learned).

    It's the same with sociopaths. You say "it doesn't matter to me what they think/I don't have to know about them" and that's the problem I'm talking about. If it doesn't matter then you neither have an understanding of them nor accept what knowledge you've gained of them and therefore maintain your ability to hate them. For example, if a person kills my friend, then I will hate them because of what they did. I hate them because they chose to take away my friend.

    Now, if I find out that the person who killed my friend was severely mentally retarded, then I'll likely stop hating them because it becomes clear that they have an impaired ability to control themselves and think the way I do about killing. It's the same with a sociopath - they have an impaired ability to judge and different sort of free will than I have. In other words, when I stop judging the murderer as if he has had the same experiences and mental health as I do and instead judge him according to his own reality, then it becomes more difficult for me to hate him because I judge him from his own mind.

    I respect you for your civility and thoughtful posts.
    thanks. the same goes for you.

  9. #129
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    I hate this mother ****ing poll!
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  10. #130
    Advisor BentWingedAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-23-11 @ 04:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    441

    Re: Is Hatred wrong?

    Anger can lead to hatred which has an erosion effect on all areas of a person's life. IE: your only hurting yourself..
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •