View Poll Results: Should drug tests be required to get welfare benefits?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    42 66.67%
  • No

    21 33.33%
Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 240

Thread: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,983

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And what will happen when you cut them off? Will they stop being dependent? I guess when I think about this I want to know the purpose for checking. If it is just to kick them off wlefare, I have to ask what youn think will happen next?
    Probably jail or drug rehab. Regardless, if they are using drugs they shouldn't be on welfare. Personally I think welfare needs to be fundamentally reformed to function more as a financial rehab program.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Probably jail or drug rehab. Regardless, if they are using drugs they shouldn't be on welfare. Personally I think welfare needs to be fundamentally reformed to function more as a financial rehab program.
    Wouldn't drug rehab be part of a rehab program? However, if they are in jail, wouldn't that cost us more? Not to mention the harm of the crime to start with. Would crime likley increase?

    And why shouldn't they be on welfare if they are using drugs? I'm not sure I understand why.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You need to read. It does not say that 20% cannot get jobs because of their drug use. It says that 20% have said to have used drugs sometime in the past year, that half of that is marijuana, and that those who are actually drug dependent are a SMALL MINORITY. That's what was said. So when you said "If you are on drugs you can't get a job. 20% are on drugs, therefore they can't get a job because the can't/won't stop their drug use." that's a lie. First off, it's based of a false premise that if you're on drugs you cannot get a job. There are a lot of drug users out there with jobs. So barring even that stupid comment. 20% have used drugs, therefore they can't get a job because they can't/won't stop their drug use is a lie too. And NOT supported in your link. You are actually saying the opposite of what is said in the link you gave. You said they can't get job because of their dependency, you imply it here as destructive behavior due to drug us is one of the conditions of dependency. But the article clearly states that addicts, those dependent upon the drug/alcohol are a SMALL MINORITY. 3% in fact.

    A little honesty is all I'm asking for here; it shouldn't be that tough.
    You keep coming back to statistics that have no definable connection to the issue. This is not about 20% of society who admit to using drugs. This is about folks who come to the government for free-stuff paid for by the rest of us. I very safely assume that the incidence of drug and alcohol abuse is much higher with those seeking free-stuff than those who do not.

    Regardless, this law is being put in place by elected officals down here. Those who endorse this policy get my continued vote. Those that do not I will work to have thrown out of office. Then they can get in line for free-stuff and take a drug test too.

  4. #74
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It would be. Will FL save billions of dollars by doing this?
    The fact it would be chump change means that cost is non-issue when it comes to piss testing welfare recipients.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #75
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The fact it would be chump change means that cost is non-issue when it comes to piss testing welfare recipients.
    Regardless, if it doesn't save money, why do it? What exactly do we want to accomplish?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #76
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Do the drug addicts receiving welfare cost more than illegal war in the ME, corporate subsidies, bail outs, and government corruption? I doubt that. We have bigger problems. Simply cutting people off from welfare will create more problems than it fixes. It's a bad idea.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Can we think realistically about this? Are people aware that a huge portion of people on welfare also use drugs? That something like half the US probably uses drugs, that it is a source of income, that a third of hard currency is involved in drugs. Cutting them off is going to make them get involved in the black economy more aggressively. This is short sighted, draconian, and contrary to a government meant to benefit the people, not criminalize them. This is would be harmful to society.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    I was in agreement with this, but then realized the failure of it.

    Typically the female member of the household applies for benefits and she is less likely to be the drug user.
    If all members of the household aren't tested, it could prove to be an exercise in futility.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 06-05-11 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    They should test all of them... as an exercise in nazism.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    They should test all of them... as an exercise in nazism.
    That's not true.

    It's a check on making sure you actually need state aid.
    There is a lot of fraud involved with state entitlements.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •