View Poll Results: Should drug tests be required to get welfare benefits?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    42 66.67%
  • No

    21 33.33%
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 240

Thread: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

  1. #31
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Lets see I drive for a living and I am subject to a drug test every year and at random and can be spot checked on the highway. In regards to alcohol consumption my legal limit has been reduced to .04 and not .08, holding a CDL applies to me both at work and off work. There are many other area's of the work place that are also subject to drug test. Now that being said I think if some one is going to get free money from the taxpayer who earned it, a simple requirement of being drug tested is not asking for a lot.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    I never lied. What part of this do you not get? If you are on drugs you can't get a job. 20% are on drugs, therefore they can't get a job because the can't/won't stop their drug use. That is dependency. When the drug use becomes more important than the necessities...that is dependency. They may or may not be physically dependent, but they are definitely socially dependent on drugs.

    Now I turn your quote back on you:



    You misrepresented my position. You are being intellectually dishonest. You are the one demonizing me for having a difference of opinion. How quick you jump on the name calling and belittling band wagon when you knew not of which you spoke.
    You need to read. It does not say that 20% cannot get jobs because of their drug use. It says that 20% have said to have used drugs sometime in the past year, that half of that is marijuana, and that those who are actually drug dependent are a SMALL MINORITY. That's what was said. So when you said "If you are on drugs you can't get a job. 20% are on drugs, therefore they can't get a job because the can't/won't stop their drug use." that's a lie. First off, it's based of a false premise that if you're on drugs you cannot get a job. There are a lot of drug users out there with jobs. So barring even that stupid comment. 20% have used drugs, therefore they can't get a job because they can't/won't stop their drug use is a lie too. And NOT supported in your link. You are actually saying the opposite of what is said in the link you gave. You said they can't get job because of their dependency, you imply it here as destructive behavior due to drug us is one of the conditions of dependency. But the article clearly states that addicts, those dependent upon the drug/alcohol are a SMALL MINORITY. 3% in fact.

    A little honesty is all I'm asking for here; it shouldn't be that tough.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #33
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Lets see I drive for a living and I am subject to a drug test every year and at random and can be spot checked on the highway. In regards to alcohol consumption my legal limit has been reduced to .04 and not .08, holding a CDL applies to me both at work and off work. There are many other area's of the work place that are also subject to drug test. Now that being said I think if some one is going to get free money from the taxpayer who earned it, a simple requirement of being drug tested is not asking for a lot.
    How much is this worth to you? If we huck these people onto the street, do you see perhaps even bigger problems spawning?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #34
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Yes, welfare is supposed to be given to people that need to to survive, it was not intended to fuel habits which lead to unproductivity.
    Is it worth it? How much money are we going to spend going after that 3-5% of welfare recipients?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #35
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You need to read. It does not say that 20% cannot get jobs because of their drug use. It says that 20% have said to have used drugs sometime in the past year, that half of that is marijuana, and that those who are actually drug dependent are a SMALL MINORITY. That's what was said. So when you said "If you are on drugs you can't get a job. 20% are on drugs, therefore they can't get a job because the can't/won't stop their drug use." that's a lie. First off, it's based of a false premise that if you're on drugs you cannot get a job. There are a lot of drug users out there with jobs. So barring even that stupid comment. 20% have used drugs, therefore they can't get a job because they can't/won't stop their drug use is a lie too. And NOT supported in your link. You are actually saying the opposite of what is said in the link you gave. You said they can't get job because of their dependency, you imply it here as destructive behavior due to drug us is one of the conditions of dependency. But the article clearly states that addicts, those dependent upon the drug/alcohol are a SMALL MINORITY. 3% in fact.

    A little honesty is all I'm asking for here; it shouldn't be that tough.
    You asking for a little honesty is hypocritical.

    First, whether or not they are on marijuana is not relevant and it is dishonest to even bring it into the discussion. Marijuana is illegal and its use is considered abuse. For you to imply that marijuana is not relevant is dishonest. Second, they are on welfare, they don't have jobs and admit to using drugs. It may be an assumption, but it is a valid assumption to tie the lack of a job with drug use..especially since almost every company in the United States tests for drugs. The fact that some slip through the cracks does not mean that these drug users can find work. Third, if you are unemployed and one condition to getting a job is to not use drugs and you are still using drugs...you are dependent. If you don't have the will power to stop using drugs so that you can get a job...you are dependent.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #36
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    First, whether or not they are on marijuana is not relevant and it is dishonest to even bring it into the discussion. Marijuana is illegal and its use is considered abuse. For you to imply that marijuana is not relevant is dishonest. Second, they are on welfare, they don't have jobs and admit to using drugs. It may be an assumption, but it is a valid assumption to tie the lack of a job with drug use..especially since almost every company in the United States tests for drugs. The fact that some slip through the cracks does not mean that these drug users can find work. Third, if you are unemployed and one condition to getting a job is to not use drugs and you are still using drugs...you are dependent. If you don't have the will power to stop using drugs so that you can get a job...you are dependent.
    And how is that dependence problem going to be solved by yanking their benefits out from them? Do you think that drug addicts are rational actors who are governed by the invisible hand of the market? No! They are looking for their next fix, and if you take away their money without also taking away their addiction, the ones who are truly addicted will turn to crime to finance their habit. If you're really concerned about drug addicts on welfare, then it would make more sense to get them treatment than to cut them off. They aren't going to be able to keep a job as long as they're addicted anyway.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 06-05-11 at 01:35 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #37
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Is it worth it? How much money are we going to spend going after that 3-5% of welfare recipients?
    Drug testing strips do not cost much.


    Instant Result Drug Screen Kit for Drug & Alcohol Testing
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:55 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,951

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Is it worth it? How much money are we going to spend going after that 3-5% of welfare recipients?
    Considering the eternity spent by many Democrats sucking the Social Teet........

    .........this could save Billions........and help thwart Drug Dealers, Gangs, The DNC Base, and Criminals.
    .
    .
    .

  9. #39
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    How much is this worth to you? If we huck these people onto the street, do you see perhaps even bigger problems spawning?
    Who said anything about hucking them into the street, besides the majority on welfare are the ones selling the drugs, driving two cars, working under the table, buying lottery tickets and cigarettes etc. Abuse of this system is massive and it carries on from one generation to the next. I see this B/S all day long in the course of my work duties. The problem is already really big, then again we can lock them up and hand over the checks to a correctional facility. Actually not only being drug tested would be required but also treatment and mandatory education or some training in a viable trade.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Should Drug Tests Be Required to Get Welfare Benefits?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Drug testing strips do not cost much.


    Instant Result Drug Screen Kit for Drug & Alcohol Testing

    So if we are going to test for all these drugs:

    AMC110


    10 Drugs - Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Opiates, Marijuana, PCP, Amphetamines, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Methadone, TCA (Tricyclic Anti-Depressants)


    $260.00 per case of 25
    ($10.40) each

    The costs adds up pretty quickly.

    And there what if a persons contests the results....
    Last edited by winston53660; 06-05-11 at 01:41 PM.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •