View Poll Results: You voted for Obama and are:

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Disappointed

    6 15.38%
  • Not disappointed

    10 25.64%
  • Have mixed feelings

    23 58.97%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65

Thread: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

  1. #21
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,405
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I voted for Obama because he was more inline with my beliefs than McCain was. So far my feelings about him are mixed. He's done well on some things, and not as well on others. Overall, I think he has done a slightly better job than Bush did, and has done a slightly better job than McCain would have done. He's nothing special, but he's not as bad as many conservatives are making him out to be.
    Not to pick on you, but what specifically was more "inline"? McCain was the ultimate centrist and you claim to be "slightly liberal". McCain was the perfect slightly liberal candidate... a one-time darling of the NYT... a "Maverick".

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Not really mixed feelings....I'm disappointed because Obama should have gone a lot further....he had a mandate to do so....and he didn't have the backbone to stand up to the Republicans in congress and the conservative Democrats who stood with the Republicans. Obama tried to play to much to the middle and tried to compromise when it was clear that there was zero chance that the Republicans would compromise. At that point....Obama should have said 'OK....screw all of you...this is what the American people elected me to do" and then done it. We would all be better off....instead....we got watered down/half-baked solutions to problems that required a lot more substance to them.
    So you're disappointed he didn't go far enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Voting for the lesser of two evils leaves you with evil. If you want to find a candidate you can vote for, you may have to turn to outside the Republocrats.

    BTW, the only think Obama hasn't done that I expected him to before he took office was invade Pakistan. Otherwise, I expected him to behave pretty much the same as Bush. And he has.
    Except economically. Obama has been ultra hostile to business, an illiterate, and he's been a major league moron with foreign affairs. His military choices in Afghanistan have been poor. Petreaus sorted that out to some degree after McCrystal.

    He has kept the post 911 structure in place though... reluctantly... and he's made a couple major screw-ups on this front too. NYC trials for terrorists... feigning to close Gitmo.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 06-02-11 at 07:43 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  2. #22
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    Mixed feelings. I did vote for him, and I do share some things in common with him politically.

    I think Obama is certainly a contemplative man. There are things he hasn't gotten done that he said he would, but I can understand the reasons why that was the case if I examine the political situation surrounding it, most of the time.

    Anyone who expected Obama, even if they agree with him 100%, to march into Washington and fix everything had an unrealistic expectation. There's just no way to start with the aftermath of the Bush years, and get to something resembling sanity in 4 years.

    I never expected that. I do think that, considering the political climate and what he had to work with, he has gotten a lot done. And the majority of it, I'm happy with.

    The Republican party is fighting dirty, and I do think he made honest and repeated attempts to get them in on the conversation. But they never wanted to have a conversation. Finally, he had to concede that isn't going to happen with the current political climate, pick his ground, and hold it. And I'm happy with that decision too.

    I wish he'd made that decision earlier. I'm not even a Democrat, but it's clear to me that the Republicans don't want to have a conversation, and they haven't for years. My main disappointment is that he didn't realize that sooner. But he's there now, and he's still gotten a lot done.

    I'll vote for him again, no question about it.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-02-11 at 07:42 PM.

  3. #23
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,405
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    Quote Originally Posted by MistressNomad View Post
    Mixed feelings. I did vote for him, and I do share some things in common with him politically.

    I think Obama is certainly a contemplative man. There are things he hasn't gotten done that he said he would, but I can understand the reasons why that was the case if I examine the political situation surrounding it, most of the time.

    Anyone who expected Obama, even if they agree with him 100%, to march into Washington and fix everything had an unrealistic expectation. There's just no way to start with the aftermath of the Bush years, and get to something resembling sanity in 4 years.

    I never expected that. I do think that, considering the political climate and what he had to work with, he has gotten a lot done. And the majority of it, I'm happy with.

    The Republican party is fighting dirty, and I do think he made honest and repeated attempts to get them in on the conversation. But they never wanted to have a conversation. Finally, he had to concede that isn't going to happen with the current political climate, pick his ground, and hold it. And I'm happy with that decision too.

    I wish he'd made that decision earlier. I'm not even a Democrat, but it's clear to me that the Republicans don't want to have a conversation, and they haven't for years. My main disappointment is that he didn't realize that sooner. But he's there now, and he's still gotten a lot done.

    I'll vote for him again, no question about it.
    Obama's party controlled Congress... he could have achieved most anything and they did not need ONE republican vote.

    Not one.

    Obama is the guy who came into office and said "you can't listen to Rush Limbaugh and expect to get things done". That was less than 2-weeks in office. Bad start, dumb move, but he thought he could bury Limbaugh. Really dumb move elevating him to that status. They even tried to paint him as the leader of the party... and look what happened. He ate their lunches.

    In that first meeting Obama proved right there he wasn't going to listen... Really, really dumb move considering he had his party controlling congress. But I thank him for his idiocy. It was the first salvo that woke up the opposition.

    What's that old saying... "let sleeping bears lie". He didn't... and he brought a toothless party back into the game big time... though they couldn't stop anything.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 06-02-11 at 07:53 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  4. #24
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Obama's party controlled Congress... he could have achieved most anything and they did not need ONE republican vote.

    Not one.

    .
    Heh, well, first, you're assuming that the Democratic party is as well-oiled a machine as the Republican party. It obviously isn't. I'm not even sure the Democratic party knows what it stands for (I have to give it to the Republicans for at least knowing that, even if I think what they stand for is detestable).

  5. #25
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Obama's party controlled Congress... he could have achieved most anything and they did not need ONE republican vote.

    Not one.

    .
    And yet he tried to be moderate, and include everyone, and not use underhanded tactics to push an agenda. And you think that's a bad thing... Weird.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post

    McCain was the ultimate centrist and you claim to be "slightly liberal". McCain was the perfect slightly liberal candidate... a one-time darling of the NYT... a "Maverick".
    And then he threw that advantage out the window by courting the right by picking one of the staunchest Conservatives to come down the pike as his running mate. No doubt he lost much of the middle after that horrendous choice.

  7. #27
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,143

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    And yet he tried to be moderate, and include everyone, and not use underhanded tactics to push an agenda. And you think that's a bad thing... Weird.
    Yup. The Democratic party doesn't have an agenda because it was never them who were trying to break down the democratic process. While that may hamper them when trying to get things done when they have to deal with Republicans, it IS weird for Zimmer to think that's a bad thing.
    Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 06-02-11 at 07:57 PM.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    For myself and most of my family and friends I voted "not disappointed", but I do have one or two family and friends who are disappointed.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Except economically. Obama has been ultra hostile to business, an illiterate, and he's been a major league moron with foreign affairs. His military choices in Afghanistan have been poor. Petreaus sorted that out to some degree after McCrystal.

    He has kept the post 911 structure in place though... reluctantly... and he's made a couple major screw-ups on this front too. NYC trials for terrorists... feigning to close Gitmo.

    .
    Hostile to business? He's continued the same entitlement, bailouts, and handouts from before. Hell he even threw the insurance companies a bone with his crap-tastic health care plan the same as Bush did to the pharmacutical companies with Medicare Part D. So correcting for that it sounds like you agree that he's behaved exactly like Bush.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #30
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,405
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: You voted for Obama because he was in line with your beliefs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    And yet he tried to be moderate, and include everyone, and not use underhanded tactics to push an agenda. And you think that's a bad thing... Weird.
    MisstressNomad stated here are things he hasn't gotten done that he said he would". My response is he could have... the R's couldn't stop them... only by rhetoric and going to the public. The Tea Party, not the R's shone the light on Obama and the D's.

    You can't listen to Rush Limbaugh and expect to get things done isn't inclusive, and Obama isn't. His chastising the SCOTUS during the SOTU, a most unpresidential moment, illustrated what type of president we have.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •