View Poll Results: Is Attending Speech wich Advocates the Overthrow of the Government Protected Speech?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 94.74%
  • No

    0 0%
  • I don't Know

    1 5.26%
  • Other (explain)

    0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

  1. #21
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADG View Post
    So you believe that advocating for the violent overthrow of a government is not protected by the First Amendment?
    I believe advocating for the violent overthrow of the government should be treated as treasonous and the perpetrators should be put down with extreme prejudice...yes.

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by ADG View Post
    On Sean Hannity's radio program -- one week after commendably leading opposition to the Patriot Act on civil liberties grounds -- Sen. Rand Paul is now advocating the arrest of people who "attend radical political speeches."

    After claiming to be against racial and religious profiling, Paul said: "But if someone is attending speeches from someone who is promoting the violent overthrow of our government, that's really an offense that we should be going after -- they should be deported or put in prison."

    Is Paulís suggestion that people be imprisoned or deported for merely attending a political speech be a violation of the First Amendment?
    College campuses would be empty. People who suggest things like this are intellectually deficient and can't understand the importance of ideas, regardless of whether or not one supports those ideas. There is something to be learned from every idea no matter how extreme - it's an uneducated and silly suggestion.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I believe advocating for the violent overthrow of the government should be treated as treasonous and the perpetrators should be put down with extreme prejudice...yes.
    A nation is more than a government, it's an idea and sometimes the government becomes a direct threat to that idea. The right to talk about overthrowing the government is one of the things that makes government turning into a severe threat difficult because it ensures that those in government understand that the people hold the power.

  4. #24
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    A nation is more than a government, it's an idea and sometimes the government becomes a direct threat to that idea. The right to talk about overthrowing the government is one of the things that makes government turning into a severe threat difficult because it ensures that those in government understand that the people hold the power.
    Threatening to violently overthrow a government or inciting others to do so is treasonous. The founding fathers of this country successfully did it and created a free country. But dont think it didnt come with a cost. Anyone that threatens to do so to this country today ought to be met with the same resistance. And even when I disagree with the actions of my government, I'll gladly be there to fire the first shot. Thats not bravado or internet tough-guyism...Im just sayin. We have a government, laws, a consitution. You want to violently overthrow our government? Bring a lunchpail and a helmet.

    You can advocate for change all you want. World of difference between advocating for change and being a proponent of violent rebellion.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Threatening to violently overthrow a government or inciting others to do so is treasonous. The founding fathers of this country successfully did it and created a free country. But dont think it didnt come with a cost. Anyone that threatens to do so to this country today ought to be met with the same resistance. And even when I disagree with the actions of my government, I'll gladly be there to fire the first shot. Thats not bravado or internet tough-guyism...Im just sayin. We have a government, laws, a consitution. You want to violently overthrow our government? Bring a lunchpail and a helmet.

    You can advocate for change all you want. World of difference between advocating for change and being a proponent of violent rebellion.
    Awesome. When people try to overthrow the government, then everything you just said applies. Unfortunately, it does not and should not ever apply to talking about it and especially attending a talk about it. Once our government starts punishing people for talking about and listening to ideas, we have a problem.

  6. #26
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    While they are rounding up the speech attendees, would it be acceptable to grab the people that just happen to be walking by?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    06-05-11 @ 05:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    117

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    If you advocated for a law that made advocating a violent overthrow legal, would that grounds for imprisonment?

    If not, then they could just say, well first we make it a law, then we talk about how nasty we are going to be to these people who are destroying America.

  8. #28
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The ability to revolt against the government, to replace it with a new one, remains proper and just tool of the People should a government ever not serve it's purpose to support and proliferate our rights and liberties. Violent overthrow of the government is the ultimate check the People have on the government.
    Seems to me that this is what the 2nd Amendment is ultimately for. However, I doubt anyone takes this lightly, and it goes without saying it is a last resort.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #29
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    While they are rounding up the speech attendees, would it be acceptable to grab the people that just happen to be walking by?
    In the old USSR, of course. They may have been inadvertently poisoned by the speech based on their proximity to it.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is Attending Speech which Advocates the Overthrow of Government Protected Speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I believe advocating for the violent overthrow of the government should be treated as treasonous and the perpetrators should be put down with extreme prejudice...yes.
    ....Our government first started with the violent overthrow of government. If it is the government which is treasonous, then it is just and rightful not only to talk about revolution, but to actually go through with it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •