View Poll Results: Is Sarah Palin's use of the flag breaking the law?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Fine her! Throw her in jail!

    4 7.14%
  • Maybe...it seems disrespectful.

    3 5.36%
  • Really? This is what we're talking about?

    49 87.50%
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 370

Thread: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

  1. #161
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Fact is, it's rarely used or enforced as law.
    Wrong on both counts. It is mandatory for the military and other government entities to follow flag code and it is frequently referred to by those of us civilians who do not want to disrespect our flag, our country or our troops.

    And flag code is not "rarely" enforced. It is never enforced.

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    dimensionally transcendental
    Last Seen
    08-15-11 @ 04:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,153

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I have neither time nor inclination to do that, but feel free to post a link.

    If they are outdoors where they can be rained on and otherwise exposed to the elements, then yes.
    Translation: I am too lazy to go and look, and it might prove me wrong if I did.


    Well, here...

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1059534218

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    Point conceded. I did indeed miss that part.

    However...

    Disrespectful, because it violates flag code?


    Disrespectful, because it violates flag code?


    Disrespectful, because it violates flag code?


    Disrespectful, because it violates flag code?


    Do YOU want to tell the American soldiers in this picture they are being disrespectful of thier flag, because this mural violates flag code?
    now that I've done your thread research FOR you... answer the question.

  3. #163
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Wrong on both counts. It is mandatory for the military and other government entities to follow flag code and it is frequently referred to by those of us civilians who do not want to disrespect our flag, our country or our troops.

    And flag code is not "rarely" enforced. It is never enforced.
    Sara Palin is not in the military nor part of a government entity - therefore your comment including the military is irrelevant.

    And YOU are wrong - (tip for you: Google is your friend).

    Court sides with veteran who flew flag upside down - latimes.com
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #164
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Whovian View Post
    Translation: I am too lazy to go and look, and it might prove me wrong if I did.
    Incorrect. My time is valuable, and I am not going to relieve you of your burden in the debate. You should support your own arguments and not whine about having to do so. At least you've done the former

    Now, my answers? The first three murals clearly violate flag code, the last picture clearly does not.

  5. #165
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Incorrect. This is not a matter of opinion. The "right thing" is objective and in fact it has been conveniently written down for us in the form of US Flag Code. Use it.
    No, some people decided to give importance to an object. They created an arbitrary code which contains suggested behaviors when handling an object they gave significance to. It has no significance to me, and since I can not be punished for refusing to fake significance, I won't. It is a law that is been invalidated, which is why it cannot be enforced and violations penalized. It is merely a suggestion, based on the opinions of those who wrote it. The majority may support those suggestions, but they are not harmed by my not following them....nor is the country. "Right thing" is incredibly subjective in regards to flag handling procedures and proper "respect" of the flag. Respect of the flag is not mandatory, nor should it be.

    To worship the flag as some do is almost the political equivalent of idol worship, if you think about it. Putting a symbol before the very thing it represents...
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #166
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Sara Palin is not in the military nor part of a government entity - therefore your comment including the military is irrelevant.

    And YOU are wrong - (tip for you: Google is your friend).

    Court sides with veteran who flew flag upside down - latimes.com
    What on earth are you talking about? You said flag code is rarely used, when it fact it is used very frequently, by both government entities (requiring it of their personel) and civilians. You are wrong, and you are also rapidly descending into incoherence. Shape up your argument or you won't be getting any more responses from me.

  7. #167
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    No, some people decided to give importance to an object. They created an arbitrary code which contains suggested behaviors when handling an object they gave significance to.
    Flag code is arbitrary only if you consider human social norms to be arbitrary.

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    It has no significance to me,
    I find it sad the the Flag, our country, and our troops have no significance to you. That is what the flag represents. Read flag code. According to our government, the flag is a living thing. It is not an abstraction, it literally is our country and our troops. When you disrespect the flag you disrespect them.

    And what's worse is that you're being so glib about it, like you're proud to violate flag code. Shame.

  8. #168
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Flag code is arbitrary only if you consider human social norms to be arbitrary.



    I find it sad the the Flag, our country, and our troops have no significance to you. That is what the flag represents. Read flag code. According to our government, the flag is a living thing. It is not an abstraction, it literally is our country and our troops. When you disrespect the flag you disrespect them.

    And what's worse is that you're being so glib about it, like you're proud to violate flag code. Shame.
    My country, the people who fight and die for it, and our way of life mean everything to me. Just because somebody else decided that the flag represents all of those things doesn't mean I have to agree with them in order to support my country. That idea is ridiculous and a bit immature.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #169
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    And YOU are wrong - (tip for you: Google is your friend).

    Court sides with veteran who flew flag upside down - latimes.com
    Did you even read this article?

  10. #170
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Is Sarah Palin's use of the American flag a breach of federal law?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    My country, the people who fight and die for it, and our way of life mean everything to me. Just because somebody else decided that the flag represents all of those things doesn't mean I have to agree with them in order to support my country. That idea is ridiculous and a bit immature.
    It wasn't just any old person who wrote flag code, it was the very country that you claim means everything to you. We the people have decided how the flag should be treated, and formalized it in Title 4 USC Chapter 1. It's the law.

    But I guess that's not good enough for you, huh?

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •