View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 97 of 158 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 970 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #961
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yes it is, too bad that some people think that protection is limited to gays
    Who thinks that?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    you mean like having marriage defined as being between one man and one woman? yeah that definition really pisses the gays off
    Don't care that the definition pisses them off. I care that it's discriminatory based on gender without the necessary reasons

  2. #962
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Not buying it. Becuase the will of the people may be violated....even routinely...doesn't make it not a valid interest. Prohibition comes to mind. Anything can be enacted, whether or not it survives depends on the will of the people.
    It's not an IMPORTANT interested. If it was the "will of the people" would decide law. It absolutely does not. The will of the people is not required to be followed by any politician, nor does it directly make law 99% of the time.

    Something that almost never happens, ie the will of the people making law, can not be considered an IMPORTANT interest

  3. #963
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    For those who favor civil unions for gays:

    basically, you're essentially saying "I have support gay marriage, I just don't want to call it that." You guys know how absolutely stupid that argument sounds? What's in a name, really?
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #964
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    It's not an IMPORTANT interested. If it was the "will of the people" would decide law. It absolutely does not. The will of the people is not required to be followed by any politician, nor does it directly make law 99% of the time.

    Something that almost never happens, ie the will of the people making law, can not be considered an IMPORTANT interest
    I disagree that it almost never happens. Many laws are enacted through and due to the will of the people....like every civil rights law....like the endeavor to legalize SSM.....DUI, drinking age, explicit lyrics, ffs......that alone shoots your argument down.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #965
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    For those who favor civil unions for gays:

    basically, you're essentially saying "I have support gay marriage, I just don't want to call it that." You guys know how absolutely stupid that argument sounds? What's in a name, really?
    If there was nothing in a name, why oppose it?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #966
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Dictate, no. Influence..certainly.
    Most people just want to live their lives in peace, how they choose, without interference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I view it more as a situation like if a family member is choosing to do something you really disapprove of.

    Like let's say your daughter is dropping out of college to be a stripper. You think it's dumb and morally wrong, and youre not going to support her decision with emotional or financial support.....but that doesn't mean if she does it youre going to stop loving her.

    They oppose it on religious grounds and due to their personnel beliefs actively supporting it is a bad thing to do and thus won't do it. They also realize however it has little real affect on their lives, so while they won't actively support it theyre not going to make a big stink about it.

    Similar as well to someone who doesnt drink, doesn't like alcohol, doesn't like bars because a family member died from alcohol poisoning. They're not going to sign a petition to allow their dry neighborhood main street to have a bar erected. But they can always just not go to the bar if it happens, so if it happens they aren't going to care a lot to get up in arms about it. But they're not going to help it come to pass.

    I think it's entirely reasonable even if I disagree with them
    I see what you're saying and it makes sense. However, it's frustrating to me when people want to "influence" how others choose to live even though they have no stake in it at all. The example you gave about having a daughter who is doing something I strongly disapprove of isn't in the same league as a stranger making decisions I wouldn't approve of. And those against gay marriage admit that it causes no harm to them or to society. Therefore, their only reason to disapprove of gay marriage, and even vote against it, is based on religious ideology.

    My point is that religion and government don't mix.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #967
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Most people just want to live their lives in peace, how they choose, without interference.



    I see what you're saying and it makes sense. However, it's frustrating to me when people want to "influence" how others choose to live even though they have no stake in it at all. The example you gave about having a daughter who is doing something I strongly disapprove of isn't in the same league as a stranger making decisions I wouldn't approve of. And those against gay marriage admit that it causes no harm to them or to society. Therefore, their only reason to disapprove of gay marriage, and even vote against it, is based on religious ideology.

    My point is that religion and government don't mix.
    How about if a teacher was having sex with students at your kids school....but it wasn't your kid. Would you oppose that? Or, how about kids were having sex in your kids school....but not your kid. How about that?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  8. #968
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    If there was nothing in a name, why oppose it?
    refer to post 959 - Also, because I'm generally in favor of calling things what they are.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  9. #969
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    refer to post 959 - Also, because I'm generally in favor of calling things what they are.
    what is a Civil Union?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #970
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I disagree that it almost never happens. Many laws are enacted through and due to the will of the people....like every civil rights law....like the endeavor to legalize SSM.....DUI, drinking age, explicit lyrics, ffs......that alone shoots your argument down.
    The will of the people can affect what representatives vote for....it does not create law. The only way the will of the people creates law is through direct voting.

    If 99% of people wanted ice cream free on Tuesday's and congress didn't vote for it...what happens? Does the will of the people become law or do we still pay for ice cream? It's the latter, because our government is a republic not a direct democracy, and thus does not state that the will of the people is an important state interest. Instead, our government is specifically set up so that the people rarely can directly enforce their will and has an entire government in part dedicated to not allowing the will of the people to violate other peoples rights.

    The very definition of what our government is proves your suggestion wrong. If it was an important state interest we'd be a direct democracy

    Not a single thing you listed came into being through the will of the people. It came into existence either through supreme court rulings or through congressional law

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •