View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 95 of 158 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #941
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Alright, here's a question for mac and others.

    Why is the institution of marriage, as a whole, so important to you personally that you personally feel the need to define it and exclude others in the process? I'm just curious.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #942
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Alright, here's a question for gays and others.

    Why is the institution of marriage, as a whole, so important to you personally that you personally feel the need to RE-define it ? I'm just curious.

    1234567890
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #943
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    1234567890
    I guess you missed the whole bit about equal rights.

    Gays want their romantic relationships to be just as valid and recognized as heteros.
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 05-31-11 at 08:05 PM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #944
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Alright, here's a question for mac and others.

    Why is the institution of marriage, as a whole, so important to you personally that you personally feel the need to define it and exclude others in the process? I'm just curious.
    First and foremost it offends me as an affront to my Religious beliefs. I also believe it to be just another lessening of the importance of marriage in lockstep with the many others we've experienced since the 60's. While I recognize and defend the separation of Church and state, I feel that the legal aspects of marriage are of no concern to any religion and such legal aspects should be extended to anyone who wishes to enter such an agreement. If asked to vote, I would vote against it, but to be fair...other than exploring the issue here at DP, it's not something that takes up much of my life, and I don't see it as something if legalized, would have much affect on me personally or my family.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #945
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Not acting in opposition to the will of the people is a valid state interest. In a nutshell.
    However "valid" state interest is more in line with the bottom tier of the epc not the middle. Something can be valid while not being important.

    The government routinely acts against the will of the people. Just in recent years you have the Iraq war, push for amnesty, not going single payer, not getting rid of Obamacare, not raising taxes on the rich, and I can go on. Furthermore, our system of government is distinctly set up to NOT focus on the will of the people. If that was an important state interest we'd be a direct democracy. However we are a representative Republic and therefore the will of the people is not directly what's important for then states interest.

    So that nutshell is rather hollow

  6. #946
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    First and foremost it offends me as an affront to my Religious beliefs. I also believe it to be just another lessening of the importance of marriage in lockstep with the many others we've experienced since the 60's. While I recognize and defend the separation of Church and state, I feel that the legal aspects of marriage are of no concern to any religion and such legal aspects should be extended to anyone who wishes to enter such an agreement. If asked to vote, I would vote against it, but to be fair...other than exploring the issue here at DP, it's not something that takes up much of my life, and I don't see it as something if legalized, would have much affect on me personally or my family.
    A fair answer, though I completely disagree. I'm just trying to understand why many people are personally expending so much political and financial capital in doing things like campaigning for the upholding of DOMA and campaigning against prop 8. And why some people think that it is their personal prerogative to "defend" marriage and define it as such.

    And as I stated before, I disagree that extending gays the right to marry erodes the institution itself, and there are a host of other things that actually harm marriage a whole hell of a lot more than SSM.

    But I can't argue with the religious aspect.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  7. #947
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    The right for equal protection under the law is in the constitution

    The right to not have a word defined in a way you don't like isn't

  8. #948
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    First and foremost it offends me as an affront to my Religious beliefs. I also believe it to be just another lessening of the importance of marriage in lockstep with the many others we've experienced since the 60's. While I recognize and defend the separation of Church and state, I feel that the legal aspects of marriage are of no concern to any religion and such legal aspects should be extended to anyone who wishes to enter such an agreement. If asked to vote, I would vote against it, but to be fair...other than exploring the issue here at DP, it's not something that takes up much of my life, and I don't see it as something if legalized, would have much affect on me personally or my family.
    Those two statements are interesting. So on one hand, whether or not gays get married doesn't have any affect on your life (in other words, no harm), but you're against it because it offends your religious sensibilities. Therefore, because you and other religious people are offended by gay marriage, it should be illegal.

    So should religious fervent dictate public policy?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #949
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The right for equal protection under the law is in the constitution

    The right to not have a word defined in a way you don't like isn't
    Zyph, i have some serious man-love for you. It's too bad gay marriage is illegal in both our states
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #950
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I guess you missed the whole bit about equal rights.

    Gays want their romantic relationships to be just as valid and recognized as heteros.
    they can be...by the govt. why do they insist on forcing the church to recognize them?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •