View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 88 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 880 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #871
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    why not a civil union license issued by the govt available to everyone and a marriage decree issued by the church?
    Because I think that a lot of the things accessed thorugh the marriage license should be regularly available to everyone. As such, I would break down the marriage license into many other contracts which can be available to all. You can maybe package contracts together for ease of people reporting marriage; but that's really about it. Leave marriage to the Churches.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #872
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Hmm, since you started this of in reply to my opposition to an immoral act statement, and led the sentence with, it's not an act...but then said it's not the act and now say you didn't mean what you said....it would seem that this is all one big confusion over your inability to communicate.

    I'll accept that you just ****ed up.
    I said it was a typo. However, my position has been very clearly laid out in subsequent posts. Read or just GTFO because you're just wasting time and energy currently. I really honestly don't understand it. If it said "it's not an act" and ended there; I could see the confusion, but the rest of the sentence clearly stated that the action portion of marriage wasn't the contented portion. And from that point on I was very clear in what I was saying. You're still just trying to scrape a cover for that mouth running of yours. Not only was it originally there that I meant the act portion wasn't contended, but in subsequent posts I was very clear on that. You want to try to harp on a type and nothing more; but it's not a good argument. Had I said it several times and then changed tune; fine. But not when it was clarified in the very sentence you're trying to abuse.
    Last edited by Ikari; 05-31-11 at 05:39 PM.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #873
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,940

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    I'm saying, what would be wrong with having a govt recognized civil union for everybody and then letting those who wanted, and the church approved, do the religious thing?
    That's my preferred option actually.

    IMHO, it comes down to gays wanting the term "marriage" and the social/religious acceptance that comes with it.
    It may be it. Or it could be with them thinking it's the easiest solution for having "equal" rights under the law. IE...it'll be easier getting included in marriage than it will be in changing what straights are identified in under the law and then also having it apply to gay marriages.

    I don't really think that's the case of which would be more difficult, but I do understand the reasoning.

  4. #874
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I think it really depends on the culture and the society. As you well know there have been civilizations and societies throughout history that looked upon sexuality and marriage completely differently than our society (which is generally based on a Western Judeo-Christian culture) has.
    Yes, and that they have been generally short lived and the "acceptance" rescinded, for lack of a better word.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #875
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I said it was a typo. However, my position has been very clearly laid out in subsequent posts. Read or just GTFO because you're just wasting time and energy currently.
    Actually you just wasted an ass-ton of my time, because you apparently don't know what the **** you're trying to say. Great, everyone should be able to contract.....got it, cya.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #876
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It leads to centaurs, which would destroy the whole of our culture. Think of all the useless doorways! We'd have to remake elevators and escalators. Centaurs will be the death of us all!
    /whispering "You forgot about the gryphons."

  7. #877
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Yes, and that they have been generally short lived and the "acceptance" rescinded, for lack of a better word.
    We're just gonna have to agree to disagree here; bottom line I believe what you call an inherent aversion to homosexual behavior is a learned, rather than innate. Nurture over nature, if you will.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  8. #878
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Actually you just wasted an ass-ton of my time, because you apparently don't know what the **** you're trying to say. Great, everyone should be able to contract.....got it, cya.
    I knew quite well what I wanted to say. The fact that the only way you could make your point was to take a typo, IGNORE THE REST OF THE SENTENCE, and they try to make it seem like I was never clear goes well further into exposing the depths of your intellectual dishonesty than it goes to demostrate my typing skills. Man up, you ****ed up, tried to make it look like I was saying something I wasn't. Quit making dumb arguments and I'll stop calling out your dumb arguments.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #879
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    We're just gonna have to agree to disagree here; bottom line I believe what you call an inherent aversion to homosexual behavior is a learned, rather than innate. Nurture over nature, if you will.
    And I'll admit that that is entirely possible.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #880
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Because I think that a lot of the things accessed thorugh the marriage license should be regularly available to everyone. As such, I would break down the marriage license into many other contracts which can be available to all. You can maybe package contracts together for ease of people reporting marriage; but that's really about it. Leave marriage to the Churches.
    um...that's what I just said.

    govt civil union to cover all the legal aspects and a marriage decree from the church for the religious aspects.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •