View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 85 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 850 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #841
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Do you believe marriage should be between a man and woman as it has always been?
    Same sex marriage existed in many parts of the world and even two different Roman emperors married men. The whole, "as it has always been" argument is a bunch of bull. It's more like, "how religion has imposed it since the 4th century."

  2. #842
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Mac...you have any peanut butter and jelly? Oh, and some milk? It's gonna be a long thread.
    Fresh bottle of Appleton's.....
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #843
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Its all about the definition.

    Do you believe marriage should be between a man and woman as it has always been?

    Or should it be expanded to allow for other people?

    Or should those other people have some other type of union?
    As soon as the government usurped marriage and created the Marriage License, the only rightful thing we can do in this country is to expand the definition and allow homosexuals their full right to contract.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #844
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I care about actual debate, which is not what you present. You can oppose SSM all day long for whatever reason. End of the day the actual action taking place is the use of government force against the rights and liberties of the individual. Some of us want to remove that force, other of you want to excuse that force. And now you're just trying to scrape together arguments on how you can argue for this flavor of government force.

    And it isn't MY point of contention (again with the reading...Jesus our school systems are failing us). It is the contention of the entire SSM argument. Their desire is to obtain the recognition of their right to contract so that they may engage in the the contract called the Marriage License and have their marriage legally recognized by the State.
    Well, jeez let's talk about literacy...

    If there are more than one party to and argument, and one thing is important to one party but not important to another...does that one party's argument cease to exist?

    I think not....are Libertarians required to be egomaniacs?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #845
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It is what it is means exactly that. We can change what it is, but right now and for the last several thousand years, marriage has been between a man and a woman.
    And we should in my opinion, as we have changed other unconstitutional things that had existed for a long amount of time.

    Then change it....until then...it is what it is.
    Thus why I support changing it through legal means if its not changed by the Supreme Court on the grounds of the EPC.

    Why is it ok for a 17 year old to have sex with a 14 year old but not for a 35 year old to have sex with a 14 year old? Why do two 15 year olds need permission to get married? Why is prostitution largely illegal?
    Neither is deemed to be in a position where one of their ages is viewed as a legal adult and the other is viewed as a minor in the case of the 17 and 14 year old. That's not the case with the 35 year old or the 14 year old. That's easy.

    Minors are not able to enter into binding contracts on their own in regards to the second question. Again, easy.

    In both cases, multiple surpreme court cases have affirmed a state interest to the necessary level in regards to having a "minor" designation and the things that go along with it. I've not seen any significant argument against such a thing. If you'd like to make one I'd be absolutely all ears.

    The reasons for Prostitutions illegality is multidimensional, and unlike the others there's a decent sized debate in the country over its constitutionality so hard to really say there.

    What's your point?

    Does society, even American society have the right to regulate itself and decide what is moral and what is not within it's domain?
    Sure, as long as it doesn't violate the constitution.

    Pesky little thing that. I know it sucks you can't just pull it out when talking about them taking your guns and just ignore it at other times.

    True.
    And thus Gender Discrimination under the Law, allowing one gender to do something another gender can't do.

  6. #846
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Same sex marriage existed in many parts of the world and even two different Roman emperors married men. The whole, "as it has always been" argument is a bunch of bull. It's more like, "how religion has imposed it since the 4th century."
    How long did that last? Why in hell couldn't two of the most powerful people in history establish SSM as normal?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #847
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    As soon as the government usurped marriage and created the Marriage License, the only rightful thing we can do in this country is to expand the definition and allow homosexuals their full right to contract.
    Or get government out of marriage entirely. But that isn't going to happen.

  8. #848
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    If there are more than one party to and argument, and one thing is important to one party but not important to another...does that one party's argument cease to exist?
    No, the argument still exists. But if someone makes a stupid argument, even if they believe it's important, it's still stupid. It's stupid to say "signing something is an act and I'm against that act" because essentially everything is an "act" at that point. What you're concerned with seems to be the ability of same sex couples to legally access the "marriage" title. The act of marriage is represented in the ceremony and not all forms of marrage go through that act. Hell not all forms of marriage require you sign a marriage license either. Common law marriage doesn't have a marriage license. It's still denied to same sex couples though. But as it stands the Marriage License is a government issued and recognized contract, and the individual has right to contract.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #849
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Or get government out of marriage entirely. But that isn't going to happen.
    That is actually, IMO, the ideal solution. But I also fear you are right in that it's not going to happen. Government rarely gives up power it has usurped.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #850
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    He did post a blurb from a study last night suggesting hormones play a big role in twin fetal development.
    Ok. But that doesn't sound like what we were discussing.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •