View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 83 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #821
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    But they can't get married. They have no legal rights as a couple.

  2. #822
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Common law marriage or simply going to the court house and filling out the paper work all do not involve an actual ceremony.
    but they do require an act/action
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #823
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    But they can't get married. They have no legal rights as a couple.
    You try to tell some people and they either honestly don't get it or are being dishonest to not get caught up in horrible arguments previously posted.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #824
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Which is why this entire argument collapses into the use of government force against the People to infringe upon their right to contract. I think maybe some posters here want to confuse that point so it doesn't look so blatent. But they're doing a very bad job at it.
    They know. They know that marriage licenses exist. They know that same sex marriage bans are discrimination. They know there is no rational argument to deny same sex couples the right to a marriage license. They just don't care. In their minds, they are infallible because they follow a religious interpretation of a book they deem infallible. The only reason they take part in debates like these is because they think it is funny to be irritating and to rub their perceived sense of infallibility in people's faces. All they can do is distort arguments, make fallacies, and feign ignorance. To them that is "debate".

  5. #825
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Is there even a point to this horribly stupid argument of yours? You can live with someone for a long time and not be married. It seems like every time I disporive your point, you have another dumbass question which does nothing to promote the debate. You can live with someone for a long time, claim you are married, and you are actually married (that's common law marriage). Now of course for all legal definitions, the ones that matter if you're not trying to play word games and are actually willing to debate the topic in an intellectually honest manner, same sex couples cannot be common law married either. To legally be married you have to sign the Marriage License, which is contract.
    I dunno, is there a point to your asinine assertion that marriage is not an act? It obviously is, one "get's married" or even "enters into the marriage contract" both acts, denying it is beyond moronic.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #826
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,480

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind
    IMMORAL ACT according to who, Mac?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac
    According to me.
    Just as we all suspected. The best advice I can give, Mac. If you believe gay marriage or behaviors are immoral, then don't have sex with an man...and don't marry a guy.

    But your "opinion" about immoral is just that. It's not universal.

    Besides, Mac... If I had a camera concealed, monitoring you post your comments, I would make a hefty bet that every time you make a post...you have to break out the Kleenex and wipe away the tears from laughing your ass off.

    This thread is now like...

    The arguments have become stale, fruitless, and in some cases totally laughable and nonsensical.

  7. #827
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I dunno, is there a point to your asinine assertion that marriage is not an act? It obviously is, one "get's married" or even "enters into the marriage contract" both acts, denying it is beyond moronic.
    So you're not going to read, huh? That's what we've come to. Sad. I didn't say that marriage does not include an act. I said the act, in the sense of ceremony, is not the contention. It's the ability to engage in the legal contract of marriage which is the contention. People can still pretend to be married. You can go through the actions of being married, even be married in a church in front of your god; but you cannot legally enter into the marriage contract. A contract which is government issued and recognized as contract. That's the contention. Marriage does contain action; but the contention in regards to SSM is not the action of being married; but rather the denial of their right to contract.

    Please learn to read, there's very little point in rehashing things which have already been said. A little honesty on your part will go a long way.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #828
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Just as we all suspected. The best advice I can give, Mac. If you believe gay marriage or behaviors are immoral, then don't have sex with an man...and don't marry a guy.
    Good advice....

    But your "opinion" about immoral is just that. It's not universal.
    It may not be universal....but I vote...a lot.

    Besides, Mac... If I had a camera concealed, monitoring you post your comments, I would make a hefty bet that every time you make a post...you have to break out the Kleenex and wipe away the tears from laughing your ass off.
    Well.....sometimes, maybe...

    This thread is now like...

    The arguments have become stale, fruitless, and in some cases totally laughable and nonsensical.
    ding.ding.ding.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  9. #829
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    So you're not going to read, huh? That's what we've come to. Sad. I didn't say that marriage does not include an act. I said the act, in the sense of ceremony, is not the contention. It's the ability to engage in the legal contract of marriage which is the contention. People can still pretend to be married. You can go through the actions of being married, even be married in a church in front of your god; but you cannot legally enter into the marriage contract. A contract which is government issued and recognized as contract. That's the contention. Marriage does contain action; but the contention in regards to SSM is not the action of being married; but rather the denial of their right to contract.

    Please learn to read, there's very little point in rehashing things which have already been said. A little honesty on your part will go a long way.
    and I say, "to you maybe"

    When I said "opposing a moral act is not immoral" I meant opposing SSM is not immoral. To be honest....I don't really give a rat's ass about what your point of contention is...I care about mine.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #830
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It is what it is.
    I'm sorry, I apparently was mistaken that a law being unconstitutional didn't matter because "it is what it is".

    Happy to know we still have slavery, blacks drinking from seperate water fountains, prohibition on alcohol, and women not being able to vote.

    Since apparently, "it is what it is" means things can't change if they're unconstitutional.

    Thanks for the history lesson mac.

    It's been defined this way for thousands of years.
    As was slavery being a common practice in the civilized world. Thankfully we have this strange little thing called the constitution that doesn't care if something's been happening for 1000 years of 1 year.

    The union of two of the same gender is a different thing altogether...some things can only be redefined so far before they become something else entirely.
    Well, if you'd prefer for the unconstitutional law to be stricken from the books rather than amended to be constitutional I'm fine with that as well.

    The Government not recognizing any union is constitutional. The government recognizing the marriage regardless if its same or opposite sex is constitional. I'm fine with either. However, I'm of the belief that as it stands now there's gender discrimination. I've laid my argument for this out for you before. All you ever say is "its what its always been" which is not a constitutional counter.

    Its really simple Mac.

    True or false. A man can marry a woman but a woman can't marry a woman?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •