View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 62 of 158 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #611
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    In 1945 Alabama, every black and white person had equal access to education. However, blacks could only attend certain schools and whites could only attend certain schools. Each race had a right that the other didn't. Racial discrimination.

    Now, every man and woman has equal access to marriage. However, men can only enter the contract with women and women can only enter the contract with men. Each gender has a right that the other doesn't. Gender discrimination.

    When one gender can enter into a contract that another gender cannot, that's called discrimination.
    I beleive what you'll find is that since all are restricted and allowed equally....there is no discrimination. Legally. Otherwise, such marriage bans would have been shot down long ago.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #612
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    In your opinion, Mac...

    Why is it "is what it is"? What could be the root reason for "it is what it is"?
    In my opinion, human nature. It's an innate aversion to homosexuality that causes opposition to it.

    The most reducible answer that I've seen thus far might be inferred simply as: "because".
    Perhaps, but it has been "because" for the majority of human history. Opposition to homosexuality is as ingrained as is the existence of it.

    What form of power and/or control by 3 percent of the population have over the 97 percent that can and/or will cause the majority to want to succumb to a lesser moral standard (defining standards claimed by many non gays)?
    None, other than perceptually.

    By the sheer act of allowing gay marriage, how will the moral fabric of non gay members of society be effected?
    Many beleive that in the last 50 to 100 years, modern societies have eroded the intitution of marriage, and many see allowing SSM as going further down the rabbit hole to the point that it will eventually become inconseguential or disappear altogether.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #613
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    In my opinion, human nature. It's an innate aversion to homosexuality that causes opposition to it.



    Perhaps, but it has been "because" for the majority of human history. Opposition to homosexuality is as ingrained as is the existence of it.



    None, other than perceptually.



    Many beleive that in the last 50 to 100 years, modern societies have eroded the intitution of marriage, and many see allowing SSM as going further down the rabbit hole to the point that it will eventually become inconseguential or disappear altogether.
    I believe it's socialization and social conditioning that produces an innate aversion to homosexuality. Don't think people are born thinking gay sex is nasty.

    As for things that I believe are ACTUALLY eroding the institution of marriage, you could start with divorce rates, and dumb **** like the bachelor, the bachelorette, and who wants to marry a millionaire
    Last edited by StillBallin75; 05-31-11 at 10:46 AM.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #614
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I beleive what you'll find is that since all are restricted and allowed equally....there is no discrimination. Legally. Otherwise, such marriage bans would have been shot down long ago.
    That isn't how our legal system works. We have what are called "levels of scrutiny". In order for the government to discriminate on the basis of sex, it has to justify it by demonstrating that a state interest is served by doing so.

    Levels of Scrutiny Under the Equal Protection Clause

    There is no such thing as equal discrimination under our Constitution. The law used to be written that any person could marry someone of their own race. That is equal discrimination. The Supreme Court overturned those laws in Loving versus Virgina.

    But of course, I bet you could be the typical social conservative and not give a crap about our Constitution unless it is serving your interests.

  5. #615
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I beleive what you'll find is that since all are restricted and allowed equally....there is no discrimination. Legally. Otherwise, such marriage bans would have been shot down long ago.
    Blacks and whites were restricted and allowed equally as well. They were both allowed to attend school and both were restricted based on race. It was still discrimination.

  6. #616
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Sorry, missed the question. I support human rights....I don't think that being gay gives you specific rights.
    Then you should support equal rights for all humans...

  7. #617
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,490

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    In my opinion, human nature. It's an innate aversion to homosexuality that causes opposition to it.



    Perhaps, but it has been "because" for the majority of human history. Opposition to homosexuality is as ingrained as is the existence of it.



    None, other than perceptually.



    Many beleive that in the last 50 to 100 years, modern societies have eroded the intitution of marriage, and many see allowing SSM as going further down the rabbit hole to the point that it will eventually become inconseguential or disappear altogether.
    Thanks, Mac...I appreciate your opinions.

    My position is that there is a majority conclusion that people (in general) don't have the ability to define the institution of marriage for themselves. There is no legal precedence for it. I doubt that we'll ever see a Constitutional Amendment defining what marriage is. Consequently, the institution itself will be subject to very diverse views and beliefs.

    If I grew up in a neighborhood that is predominately gay, which also had a high number of gay marriages. As a straight man, regardless of their views on what constitutes marriage would be relativity no interest to me for one really important reason. Their views, their values, their principles would never alter my perceptions and understanding of what the institution of marriage is for me...BECAUSE I'm not gay. I can't be co-opted or influenced to be other than heterosexual.

    I don't bear the responsibilities of any other couples marriage...and nor they with mine. We are all so busy trying to just live life that the details fade with the seconds, minutes, hours, and days.

    As I've said before...and most will disagree, but in regards to homosexuality's role in humanity, even with all it's mysteries, it's controversies, it's social stigmas - it's shameful that homosexuality is still viewed with so much dark age thinking, fear, myths, superstition, and personal insecurities still cripples the minds of many in a highly advanced civilization.

    We live in a society where many refuse to even acknowledge the possibility that "circumstance of birth" exist when the "preponderance" of evidence leans more to the building scientific research that that is indeed the reality of humanity's existence.

    Humanity is currently incapable of living in a world without "unnecessary" prejudices and discrimination.

    People will leave claw marks in an effort to resist change. But change won't wait for any of us.

    Mac...your right, "it is what it is." That said, can anyone ever accept, "we are what we are?"
    Last edited by Removable Mind; 05-31-11 at 11:46 AM.

  8. #618
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Of course I do....no other group is allowed to marry someone of the same gender. Equality is a two way street.
    You just said you viewed rights as a human issue, now you are viewing rights as an affirmative action issue. We don't award rights to people because of their race, their gender, their religion, etc anymore, nor do we give each group special rights anymore... segregation is unconstitutional. We give rights to people because they are people and our constitution promotes human equality. Why are you opposed to human equality, Mac?

  9. #619
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Within the definition of marriage, they do have the same rights I do.
    I think we should remove Christians right to marry in America and only let people marry once they renounce God.

    Would you have a problem with that Mac? Because I really don't see how that would be unfair or discriminatory to anybody in society. You'd still be a Christian, you'd just have to pretend to be an atheist and publicly renounce God to get married.

    I don't see a problem with that, and I don't see why you would... Equal rights and all that.

  10. #620
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,470

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I'm not. You are ignoring that marriage between a man and woman is the traditionally accepted and legal form of marriage. Gays are asking for that to be changed, straights are not.
    And voting rights traditionally excluded women, and women asked them to change... What's your point? A lot of the traditions in America were wrong, and this is no exception.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •