View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 43 of 158 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #421
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No...what if's are pointless.
    You only think that because it does not fit your argument. If you really looked at it, you would realize that discriminating against anyone without due process is wrong.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #422
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    But it's not fundamentally changing the institution like polygamy would.
    Why does polygamy change it anymore than SSM?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #423
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    I find it interesting that you left out the primary reason...religious belief. Did you not think that that was a viable option for the poll?

    For every religion that uses the Old Testament, marriage is the first ceremony and institution that is created and it was created by God and performed by God. You can't find a more holy ceremony and/or institution. It just doesn't exist.

    Yes, I know...tons of people have bastardized marriage in the past and some seem to think that is justification for continuing the improper trend. It is not.

    As for me, and a growing number of people, it is a violation of the First Amendment to regulate marriage in any manner. If I had my way, the government would drop all references to marriage. Then, if they chose, they could replace marriage with a secular social contract. That would not violate the First Amendment and it would provide a much easier path to the fairness you seek.
    That's why I put "other". Because I'm 52 years old, and I forget things.

  4. #424
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Men have the right to marry women. Women have the right to marry men. Men have a right that women do not have. Women have a right that men do not have. It's pretty simple.
    No, each has the same rights, and each has the same restriction. It's equal treatment.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  5. #425
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    You only think that because it does not fit your argument. If you really looked at it, you would realize that discriminating against anyone without due process is wrong.
    No, hypotheticals are foolish games.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #426
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, each has the same rights, and each has the same restriction. It's equal treatment.
    How so. If lesbian women can't marry women (as men do) and gay men can't marry men (as women do) then gays are being restricted from marrying their beloved.

  7. #427
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Why does polygamy change it anymore than SSM?
    It would change the number of people, change the dynamics, change the laws extensively, with the way how people would get married, how things get passed on from one spouse to another, probably change the tax codes, how people get divorced etc. Allowing polygamy would drastically change the institution, while SSM would not, because none of that stuff will have to change when we allow SSM.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #428
    Educator O_Guru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    01-06-13 @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    758

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    I find it interesting that you left out the primary reason...religious belief. Did you not think that that was a viable option for the poll?

    For every religion that uses the Old Testament, marriage is the first ceremony and institution that is created and it was created by God and performed by God. You can't find a more holy ceremony and/or institution. It just doesn't exist.

    Yes, I know...tons of people have bastardized marriage in the past and some seem to think that is justification for continuing the improper trend. It is not.

    As for me, and a growing number of people, it is a violation of the First Amendment to regulate marriage in any manner. If I had my way, the government would drop all references to marriage. Then, if they chose, they could replace marriage with a secular social contract. That would not violate the First Amendment and it would provide a much easier path to the fairness you seek.
    The 1st amendment is not impacted in any way what so every since legal marriage has ZERO impact on religious marriage. Sorry your statement is in fact false.
    Last edited by O_Guru; 05-30-11 at 09:43 PM.
    PURE STUPIDITY 1.) Glenn Beck doesnt lie. 2.) Obama is Jesus like 3.) Sara Palin is so smart & shes a great speaker. 4.) Obama does just about everything perfect. 5.) Fox doesn' t lean right 6.) Pro-Choice is no different than Pro-Slavery 7.) MSNBC doesn't lean left. 8.) What TSA does is no different than sexual assault & child porn.

  9. #429
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,360

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, hypotheticals are foolish games.
    If it is an appropriate allegory, then it is not a foolish game. It is a way to open up your mind, and look at something from a different perspective.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #430
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, each has the same rights, and each has the same restriction. It's equal treatment.
    No. They each have different restrictions - men cannot marry women, women cannot marry men - those are different restrictions.

    You are right, however. Both men and women do have the right to marry just like both blacks and whites had the right to go to school in 1945.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •