View Poll Results: Same-sex marriage is wrong because

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • It isn't, and should be available to all gay couples

    77 68.14%
  • Being gay is wrong, so they can't get married

    16 14.16%
  • The sanctity of marriage. No, I wasn't laughing. I was coughing. *cough* ... see?

    4 3.54%
  • It will set a bad example for Christian youth

    0 0%
  • I don't honestly have a good reason, but I still say no

    1 0.88%
  • Other (please explain)

    15 13.27%
Page 39 of 158 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 1577

Thread: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

  1. #381
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,415

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That's your interpretation of what it says....in actuality, the states have the right to categorize people....we've been over this.
    The states can't deny equal treatment under the law due to sex unless there is a compelling state interest to do so, as in bathrooms. There is no compelling state interest to deny SSM based on sex.

    Federal law trumps state law, every time.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #382
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Yeah it does. For now on a federal level two men or two women do not have their marriages recognized. To say anything else is disingenuous.
    No, it doesn't. Marriage is between one man and one woman...they have every right to marry someone of the opposite sex.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #383
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    The states can't deny equal treatment under the law due to sex unless there is a compelling state interest to do so, as in bathrooms. There is no compelling state interest to deny SSM based on sex.
    That suits your criteria.

    Federal law trumps state law, every time.
    Really? How about DOMA? Might want to rethink that...
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  4. #384
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-22-17 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,154

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Where exactly do we take the promiscuity component of why gays might or might not be able to get a legal marriage? Even if it were true that most gay people live more promiscuous lives than straight people, so do many other subsets of people.

    I went to church with my dad a few years back, who told one of the pastors that I was in the Navy. The guy was nice before the sermon, talking to me about my experiences and his own aboard ships, but then when he got up to preach, he pretty much accused me of being promiscuous for the sole reason that I was in the Navy. Many people believe that those who are in the Navy or even the military in general are more promiscuous than the average person, so should we base whether military personnel should be allowed to get married on that presumption?

    Also, marriage itself tends to settle down many people. Many give up promiscuity for stability when they get married. It is generally considered part of the package (to most people).

    Of course, fidelity in itself should be up to the couple. Swinging is not illegal (except for the military). Any couple that decides mutually that either of them are free to sleep around should be the business of that couple and no one else's. It should not determine whether they are able to get married or not.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #385
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,415

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That suits your criteria
    That suits the Constitutions criteria.


    Really? How about DOMA? Might want to rethink that...
    And the fed government doesn't recognize SSM, and DOMA lets states define marriage themselves, so I don't get your point.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #386
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-22-17 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,154

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That suits your criteria.



    Really? How about DOMA? Might want to rethink that...
    DOMA is unconstitutional as well. Once it goes down, any state laws against SSM are likely to go down as well under the 14th Amendment.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #387
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, it doesn't. Marriage is between one man and one woman...

    The State of Massachusetts says people of the same sex can be married. And I bet the federal government will say that too in your life time.

    they have every right to marry someone of the opposite sex.
    Now there is a winning recipe for a great marriage

  8. #388
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,415

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    DOMA is unconstitutional as well. Once it goes down, any state laws against SSM are likely to go down as well under the 14th Amendment.
    That pesky Constitution
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #389
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    12-22-17 @ 12:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,154

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    That's your interpretation of what it says....in actuality, the states have the right to categorize people....we've been over this.
    Not in the way they do so for marriage. They still have to meet the requirements of the 14th Amendment and cannot randomly categorize people just because. They still have to show how they are meeting an actual state interest by denying anyone equal access to a government issued contract/privilege/right/whatever.

    No one has been able to give a sound/logical/legitimate state interest to discriminate against people when it comes to marriage based on their sex.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #390
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: SSM (Same-sex marriage) is wrong because?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Don't need one it's lower. Look it up for yourself.

    Better yet provide an actual survey that says otherwise. I have asked 2 people to do so already.
    I've already pointed you to a study through Wikipedia that claims gay men have a similar amount of sexual partners as straight men and women.

    However, according to two large population surveys, the majority of gay men had similar numbers of unprotected sexual partners annually as straight men and women.
    Sexual Behavior Does Not Explain Varying HIV Rates Among Gay And Straight Men
    No but that's OK. Nonsense does not an answer make.

    Black is a race, not a type of sexuality. Not the same thing.
    You think promiscuity runs rampant in the gay community. It's been proven that incarceration runs rampant in the black community. Therefore, the gay lifestyle is to be promiscuous and the black lifestyle is to be in jail - we're just going by numbers right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •